The Nick Grimshaw Breakfast Show

Comments

• hotmat3khotmat3k Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too much music? Sounds like the rest of the daytime output. Bingo! In my view, this is exactly what Radio 1 wanted. Listeners at the bottom end of the demographic will have been enticed in by Bieber and One Direction, whilst those at the top may welcome music intensity.

Whilst it may seem like a culture shock after Moyles, Radio 1 is just that, a music station. By bringing that focus back, with a very different presenter to Moyles, Radio 1 are making clear their intentions.

On a political level at the BBC, there is the Trust also.

I liked what I heard. It's only Day 1. Give it a chance.
    Totally wrong in my opinion. Agree that it's a music station, but it doesn't need to turn into one of the commercial clones that already exist. Maybe without the music selection Radio 1 can easily justify but the breakfast is more about morning chat and starting the day. 15 - 25 years olds need that the same as any other target group but not a possible repeatitive celebrity culture hiatus that Nick Grimshaw brings and that not everyone wants.

This morning, I heard a show that appeals to 12 - 16 year old girls. Not the whole demographic Radio 1 needs to chase. My bet is that a dip in 3 million or so breakfast show listeners will have a deep impact on the rest of the days output. That's not the stability or result Radio 1 will want.

Radio 1 has the other 20 and half hours of the day to provide the intense music programming you indicate which are done pretty well with average presenters in the current daytime lineup.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio 1 and the BBC Trust don't care if they lose listeners, they are all about the demographics. One of the people who confirmed this was Aled Haydn Jones, the Chris Moyles Show Producer on Twitter.
  • TheDemiurgeTheDemiurge Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been waking very early these days so heard the first hour and forty minutes of the new show today. I really liked Grimmy's show at nighttime, he was a more than worthy successor to John Peel even if the music genres played were different and personally, I will miss it.

But I felt somewhat sorry for Grimmy, listening to him to this morning. Being handed breakfast is the great opportunity to push one's self into the A-list - but it is also a baptism of fire. Nick is more than up to the job, but certain things have to happen.

Firstly - he needs to drop the self-deprecation. Yes, he didn't have the crash-and-burn learning curve of the radio ladder that Moyles, Evans, Edmonds etc. did, which is both a blessing and a curse, but he is well over that phase now. He has just as much a right to command that microphone this morning as anyone else and should have that faith in himself.

Secondly - breakfast radio, even if trying to appeal to a younger generation - is a different format to nighttime. The morning is not usually the most endearing time of day to most people, and Grimmy needs to start building empathy with his listeners by sharing more of himself and his opinions. He now has the platform on which to do that. For example, one of his first links this morning was how he woke at 4 a.m. approx. I'm not a broadcaster or producer but perhaps a good link there would have been to describe what it was like travelling through London at that time, and how his life was going to change, and how Moyles was probably in bed having his feet massaged, etc. - something along those lines. He missed some opportunities for that today which is probably nerves more than anything, but he may also have been given a directive to keep the links tightly centered around celebrity content. If so that would be a terrible shame. A couple of items early on asked "what should be the @R1breakfast show's first tweet" and "what celebs tweeted him to wish him good luck - guess". I find it hard to believe that these are weighty issues on either his mind or that of the listener.

Pop tunes and listener texts can only carry one so far. He has to take that chance and absolutely let rip.

Good luck Grimmy - make the show your own.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    I think for his first breakfast show He , his exec producer should be sacked .. thats waste of OUR money .. if your going to aim it at the kids get someone who can talk .... He's not saying full words .. and he mumbles ....in his links ..
    Im sure there are lots of presenters on ILR who COULD present that show and aim to the right age group ... most with a great Rajar track record ....Why didnt they ask for demos ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Secondly - breakfast radio, even if trying to appeal to a younger generation - is a different format to nighttime. The morning is not usually the most endearing time of day to most people, and Grimmy needs to start building empathy with his listeners by sharing more of himself and his opinions. He now has the platform on which to do that. For example, one of his first links this morning was how he woke at 4 a.m. approx. I'm not a broadcaster or producer but perhaps a good link there would have been to describe what it was like travelling through London at that time, and how his life was going to change, and how Moyles was probably in bed having his feet massaged, etc. - something along those lines. He missed some opportunities for that today which is probably nerves more than anything, but he may also have been given a directive to keep the links tightly centered around celebrity content. If so that would be a terrible shame. A couple of items early on asked "what should be the @R1breakfast show's first tweet" and "what celebs tweeted him to wish him good luck - guess". I find it hard to believe that these are weighty issues on either his mind or that of the listener.

Good advice.

It would seem that commercial radio is expecting a big imflux of new listeners. This will likely happen to a degree, but I doubt it will t be marked.

In the one corner, we have commercial radio, with it's generally bland jocks, subliminal advertisements and sponsorship. In the other corner, we have iPods, Spotify, Podcasts, on-line news and Twitter to stay in contact with what's current.

If Moyles does get Mon-Fri evenings on R1 from Jan 2013, it can easily be time shifted in many cases, to listen at any time of day you want. I wouldn't be surprised if Moyles goes down the same route as Ricky Gervais in the years to come, with a paid-for weekly Podcast.. or even a pay-to-listen live Breakfast show, not unlike Howard Stern.
  • DODS11DODS11 Posts: 2,026
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's good.

Radio One's obsession with Bieber and 1D isn't good. (Although I know Grimmy's good mates with the one with curly hair so understandable he's there - plus it helps bring in another demographic of listeners).

Apart from the whole tween-pop crap, he's a good DJ and the show could be really good. Good first choice, quite a statement, this is definitely not the Moyles show any more.

I like it, it has potential and will probably settle in properly by Christmas.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have enjoyed listening to him. Clearly he is a bit overwhelmed, who wouldn't be having to follow a national treasure who pretty much imo perfected breakfast radio during the 8 years he was on.

Chris Moyles wasn't an instant hit, like good cheese and wine he settled into it and matured into something great. I feel that Nick will do the same. For a first show, I think it was a great attempt, and I look forward to seeing the show develop over time.

I have listened to Radio 1 since the very first broadcast and cannot imagine listening to anything else. I remember the days when it was said that no-one could replace Tony Blackburn. :D

Me too:eek: They arent doing a very good job at lowering the average age as it seems to be the younger ones moaning and us oldies sticking with it:D
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    Very good post TheDemiurge - spot on.

I was hugely disappointed this morning not because I expected the finished article, or that I expected a better DJ than Moyles, but because Grimshaw didn't even sound like himself. First breakfast shows can often be wobbly but normally show some signs of promise. This one didn't. It was flat. With more choice than ever before on radio, internet, Spotify, YouTube etc, you need to get it right early doors.

My issue with the new show is not with Grimmy himself, who I like, but with Radio 1 management's seemingly constant digs at Moyles (#teamgrimmy, which even Grimmy didn't sound keen on, more music, etc.) and what sounds like massive interference in the show. If the show is being hamstring by stuff like this then Grimmy needs to be able to tell them where to go, like Moyles did.

Radio 1 may say they don't care about the listening figures, but to quote someone from Simon Garfield's The Nation's Favourite: "We may say ratings aren't important, but they can only go so far down before they become very important indeed."
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Abraca wrote: »
    BBC Radio 1 and the BBC Trust don't care if they lose listeners, they are all about the demographics. One of the people who confirmed this was Aled Haydn Jones, the Chris Moyles Show Producer on Twitter.

Exactly Jo Whiley got the boot from R1 for the same reason. They will be deighted to get rid of many of the oldies who listened to Moyles who were inflating R1's average age.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing that is strange to me is that grimmy has never really been on daytime R1 and for me it would of been easier for him coming to breakfast if he already established a decent audience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Its men in suits , they get it wrong every time .... they think its like painting by numbers .. Im sure He could be ok with the right producer from an ILR station who has worked on breakfast ...... But Matt was the Joke of the moyles team ... they pulled him to bits on air ..
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'd have been better putting a caretaker presenter on for six months to bottom the audience and then build it back up from there. It's one thing the BBC can afford to do with zero commercial pressures.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    As usual just heard bits of the breakfast show. Reasonable start. I expected a bit more though after all the promotion. The show seemed to lack structure and it was a bit fumbly/under-rehearsed as if Grimmy was a last minute stand-in. Was surprised at the things which didn't change - thought the orchestral strings loved by Moyles were to be ditched. But at the start, sounding quite tired, he was talking over a bed of Elbow strings not unlike Moyles did in the first half hour. Surprised they used Tina on news/sport. Thought they'd cut all ties and start with someone new. The interview with the One Direction guy was painful. And the worry is, if you have played your teeny jackpot One Direction and Justin Bieber on day one, where next? I know some say zoo format is dead. I am not so sure.
  • teasconesteascones Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    murphyone wrote: »
    I think for his first breakfast show He , his exec producer should be sacked .. thats waste of OUR money .. if your going to aim it at the kids get someone who can talk .... He's not saying full words .. and he mumbles ....in his links ..
    Im sure there are lots of presenters on ILR who COULD present that show and aim to the right age group ... most with a great Rajar track record ....Why didnt they ask for demos ...

Wow, you really have no clue.
  • WhoMadWhoMad Posts: 429
    Forum Member
    murphyone wrote: »
    Its men in suits , they get it wrong every time .... they think its like painting by numbers .. Im sure He could be ok with the right producer from an ILR station who has worked on breakfast ...... But Matt was the Joke of the moyles team ... they pulled him to bits on air ..

...and on more than one occasion threatened to sack him (probably jokingly) for not doing his job properly!
  • Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    [/B]

Me too:eek: They arent doing a very good job at lowering the average age as it seems to be the younger ones moaning and us oldies sticking with it:D

It certainly seems that way- I have no intention of switching channels. I am a big One Direction fan as well. :)
  • starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Passengers wrote: »
    They'd have been better putting a caretaker presenter on for six months to bottom the audience and then build it back up from there. It's one thing the BBC can afford to do with zero commercial pressures.

Isn't that what they've done? :D
  • tom_htom_h Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Well if they care about the demographic they've got a lot of work to do.

I asked some friends today all aged 17 what they thought and they all switched off and changed to other radio stations. I understand it's a really hard job to follow Moyles and Nick is up to the job but I really do think he needs a team to bounce off.

Like some other posters have said, it just sounds like a 10am show.
  • wirelesswonderwirelesswonder Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    I think he should get a dog. Or a milkman. Worked before, no reason why it can't work again ;)
  • Hendo9Hendo9 Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im 22, right in their cherished demographic...and im not a fan at all.

Ill give it more of a chance...but really cant see it getting better in this format
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Justin Bieber and One Direction - That's two reasons to avoid the show.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all knew it was never going to be the same without moyles in the morning. But for me far too much music was played.....I would maybe like it if he had someone to bounce off of etc. I end ed up listening to a cd on the way to work as waking up to him was too much tbh
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    I still love Moyles' comment from his final show 'I'll be OK, I manage Nick Grimshaw-and I've also taken over managing Greg James just in case!'
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chris983 wrote: »
    The thing that is strange to me is that grimmy has never really been on daytime R1 and for me it would of been easier for him coming to breakfast if he already established a decent audience.

He covered Scott and Greg James' shows and I thought he was brilliant.
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    The funniest comment under the story on the main DS page, in response to someone complaining about the amount of music on the new show:
    Listen to BBC Radio 4, Radio 1 is for music.

Wow.