Jimmy Saville to be revealed as a paedophile? (Part 7)

Comments

• Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jimmy Tarbuck now being quizzed over possible sex attacks

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/index.html

And there is a tv comedy legend in his seventies being accused.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316039/Television-comedy-legend-70s-facing-questioning-Savile-police-historic-allegations-sex-abuse.html

Operation Yewtree targeting any faded showbiz star now it seems.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's make this quicker. Anybody who is not a pervert, raise your hand :mad:
  • luckylegsluckylegs Posts: 7,400
    Forum Member
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    luckylegs wrote: »

Well I for one won't be visiting his coffee shops for a long while.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mutter wrote: »
    I hope this ridiculous accusation brings an end to the celebrity baiting once and for all.

I'm tired of the, "he touched my breast", he placed his hand on my knee" tales.

I don't know what information you have about this accusation that the rest of us don't, but none of the cases where charges have been made amount to allegations of mere knee-groping, have they?
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2316039/Television-comedy-legend-70s-facing-questioning-Savile-police-historic-allegations-sex-abuse.html

I think that is just Jimmy Tarbuck again as that article was written a week ago before he was named. The Mirror ran a similar story.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,804
    Forum Member
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    As I said the other day throw the Clebs with no direct link to JS to the lions they are expendable. Whilst Savilles close group of other high profile friends get away with it.

Get away with what?

Hundreds made claims to various organisations about Jimmy Savile and it appears others were not involved, as the joint NSPCC & police 'Yewtree' report stated Savile wasn't part of a paedophile ring.

If you have evidence rather than speculation take it to the police, NSPCC or Childline.

There is a cotinuining investigation, just because you aren't personally informed does not mean people are not being investigated.
    There are currently 30 live West Yorkshire Police investigations relating to Savile, initially passed to us by Operation Yewtree. Others cases are still being reviewed and may be passed to the Force.

Among issues raised previously and by the HMIC, is Savile’s Friday coffee mornings, which were attended by a variety of people, some former and serving West Yorkshire Police Officers.

“Enquiries are continuing to identify anyone who attended, but are quite advanced. We have spoken to officers, friends and former employees of Savile and to date, there has been no suggestion from any one of those people of any passing of letters to the police for them to deal with or inappropriate activity, by anyone present,” said T/ACC Lee.
  • soulloversoullover Posts: 1,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .... and it's working beautifully as distraction.

The faded old stars, who have no memory of who's waist they slipped their arm around, brushing a breast on the way 40years ago, are great scapegoats for the politicians, high up arrangers in the entertainment world and royalty who are the true filthy b*****s in all this.

Just wait until all those who got paid, come out and say they were assaulted by their now dead famous clients.
    I do agree with this.
    the truth is, anyone who lived through the '70's will know that the culture was different then. By concentrating on these 'lesser' crimes and minor assault charges they're making a mockery of more severe crimes. Of course it's wrong to touch anyone inappropriately but, for Heaven's sake, are we to believe seriously that 40 years of trauma has followed some of these vicitms around because Mr X touched their breasts or slapped their bottom? Like most women i could catalogue numerous incidents like this in the '70's and '80's but they were just part of life's learning curve..and no, they didn't involve somebody who was well known. Had I been seriously assaulted, raped or had I been under 16 that's a totally different kettle of fish..and that's what the police should be concentrating on.
    Meanwhile. a kid in my daughter's school some years ago got off with a warning after repeatedly kicking in the head of another pupil and leaving her unconscious on the floor..violent assaults like this happen daily yet they fail to provoke the outrage and comment in the press that salacious sexually related gossip involving a 'famous name' does.
    Stuart Hall & Saville were evil predators -lets not lessen their shock value by constant association with this list of comparatively minor misdemeanours which occurred in the sexist climate of the time..
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If any of these go to court they'll have to make sure they use young jurors or they possibly might not get a guilty verdict for some of them.

Mind you, even if they were found not guilty in a court of law doesn't a civil prosecution, for compensation, have a lower burden of proof?
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    I don't know what information you have about this accusation that the rest of us don't, but none of the cases where charges have been made amount to allegations of mere knee-groping, have they?
    Yes,it's amazing to me how many people's default position seems to be that the majority of the alleged victims must be bringing false accusations for money.
    They seem to think it's an easy thing to go to the police and that the police will just take their word for it and charge the alleged perpetrator, without anything else

This is not to say that there are no false accusations or that some people have confused the past but that false accusations in these circumstances are rare.

It strikes me this is a manifestation of the culture in which sexual offences aren't taken seriously. They seem prepared to give the benefit of the doubt to the alleged suspect (fair enough) but are, at the same time, happy t0 assume the alleged victims are making it up and the police will just believe them.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    If any of these go to court they'll have to make sure they use young jurors or they possibly might not get a guilty verdict for some of them.

Mind you, even if they were found not guilty in a court of law doesn't a civil prosecution, for compensation, have a lower burden of proof?

Wow, I'm glad you are not part of the British legal system.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member

It seems to me they are questioning ,not targeting, people who have had allegations levelled at them which they are duty bound to investigate.
  • jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Yes,it's amazing to me how many people's default position seems to be that the majority of the alleged victims must be bringing false accusations for money.
    They seem to think it's an easy thing to go to the police and that the police will just take their word for it and charge the alleged perpetrator, without anything else

This is not to say that there are no false accusations or that some people have confused the past but that false accusations in these circumstances are rare.

It strikes me this is a manifestation of the culture in which sexual offences aren't taken seriously.

Its not just a question of that, its ensuring that the accused are presumed innocent and anonymous until evidence is produced.This is the democracy we fought wars for.

Otherwise we are setting a dangerous precedence where anyone with an ulterior motive (money,grudge etc) can walk into a police station and accuse you of something that happened X years ago... and on the basis of that verbal gives the police carte blanche to turn over your house and examine your underwear drawer, while your career disintegrates.

Sleep walking into a police state are we? or is it just the 20th century entertainment industry being discredited and swept away? in which case who is next?- rock stars?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is getting bloody stupid now. So now Tarbuck is next why dont the police just go and arrest every single celebrity who appeared on a kids show back in the 1960s! Oh they must have been up to no good havent they.

Give it a rest. Whether they did it or not why wait 40 years before complaining how is anyone supposed to remember where they were at a certain time all those years ago. Hes in his 80s and probably close to the end of his life like the others are let him spend the last few years of his life in peace.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not just a question of that, its ensuring that the accused are presumed innocent and anonymous until evidence is produced.This is the democracy we fought wars for.

Otherwise we are setting a dangerous precedence where anyone with an ulterior motive (money,grudge etc) can walk into a police station and accuse you of something that happened X years ago... and on the basis of that verbal gives the police carte blanche to turn over your house and examine your underwear drawer, while your career disintegrates.
    Sleep walking into a police state are we?
    My point was about assuming that alleged victims are false accusers so you're post doesn't seem to have anything to do with that, except, that you, too, don't seem to realise that false accusations aren't common and that going to police isn't easy and that they don't just take your word for it.

As for evidence, the police argue that other people come forward to provide corroborating evidence and identification evidence is, quite obviously, important. If someone is suspected of a series of frauds and the police think they know who the person is but they have fled, should they keep quiet? What about programmes like Crimewatch? Ban them? Are celebrities to be treated differently? It looks like Savile got away with stuff, partly because of his celebrity status.

And justice is for victims, too.

You and others like to take the high moral ground about one set of alleged perpetrators, the offenders (fair enough, as I said) but are then quite happy to assume others have committed crimes - false accusations for money. In fact, we don't know if any crime has been committed by the alleged perpetrator or the alleged victim.

False accusations have serious consequences for the person accused but it's not as easy as just saying there should be blanket anonymity, unfortunately, though it's easy to claim it is.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, I'm glad you are not part of the British legal system.

:D:D

I am! It's called being a member of a jury and it is they who decide guilt or innocence, not the judges. :p

If a case came before me then they'd better have some evidence or corroboration to remove reasonable doubt.
  • gregsanisongregsanison Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimmy Taruck is a Tory so what goes round comes around
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member

I wish they would conduct an inquiry on how he received the OBE only last December. Who nominated him and why?

The same goes for all the others who received accolades.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,804
    Forum Member
    inquirer64 wrote: »
    I wish they would conduct an inquiry on how he received the OBE only last December. Who nominated him and why?

The same goes for all the others who received accolades.

Well that's not the responsibility of the BBC, but I believe the circumstances of is OBE may be worth investigating along with some other buisiness connections...I have a feeling there may already be questions being asked.
  • DaughterqueenDaughterqueen Posts: 143
    Forum Member
    That's the most inane thing to say.
  • IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    As I said the other day throw the Clebs with no direct link to JS to the lions they are expendable. Whilst Savilles close group of other high profile friends get away with it.
    Always whimperings, such as who was in the Friday club?
    WELL FIND OUT, YOU USELESS BUNCH, though not so useless of course as they're protecting their own.

I've also wondered whats going on with the 'JS & others' strand of the investigation. I suppose it makes sense that the media have a specific interest in publishing names of celebrities, such people who are questioned/arrested make for more sensational headlines etc. but presumably there were more people who spent time around JS who may have something to answer for?.

From the little I've heard/read, the FMC tended to consist of friends from whichever part of the country he was in that week, including police officers who have been told off for attending when they were supposed to be on duty(!) im sure I saw an article about that towards the start of this year(?). Wilfred De'ath is the only non-celeb directly linked to JS that I've heard was specifically investigated, I think and I believe their not pressing charges with him. Of course, some or most such people will be quite elderly if not dead by now. As said recently, its been claimed that there's no evidence of him operating as part of a peadophile ring, so perhaps their spending less time investigating the others side of it? I still presume the 'JS & others' strand of Operation Yewtree is active and being investigated behind closed doors.
    This is getting bloody stupid now. So now Tarbuck is next why dont the police just go and arrest every single celebrity who appeared on a kids show back in the 1960s! Oh they must have been up to no good havent they.

Give it a rest. Whether they did it or not why wait 40 years before complaining how is anyone supposed to remember where they were at a certain time all those years ago. Hes in his 80s and probably close to the end of his life like the others are let him spend the last few years of his life in peace.

He's 73 actually, according to this article:- http://news.sky.com/story/1087589/jimmy-tarbuck-in-child-sex-abuse-arrest

---

On another note, I'm finding the way the media are covering some of these cases rather confusing or misleading even. On BBC Breakfast they mentioned Tarbuck had been arrested by police investigating the JS scandal but then, a few sentences later, specifically noted that this arrest was not part of Operation Yewtree and not specifically linked to JS, just that those working on Yewtree passed information on to the relevant local police who acted on it, I think? it sounds like it wasn't the so called JS police who arrested him at all then, or did I mis-hear it? I wasn't paying that much attention but I find these things very confusing. I don't pay particularly close attention to everything yet I still pick up on things like that...its all getting a bit confusing.
  • divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And the award for Banal Comment Of The Day goes to.........
  • Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that alleged perpetrators should be given as much anonymity as the alleged victims. Several of those alleged people were arrested about six months ago and have not been charged yet. I believe they deserve to be tried or released without charge after all this time.

IzzyS wrote: »
    I've also wondered whats going on with the 'JS & others' strand of the investigation. I suppose it makes sense that the media have a specific interest in publishing names of celebrities, such people who are questioned/arrested make for more sensational headlines etc. but presumably there were more people who spent time around JS who may have something to answer for?.

From the little I've heard/read, the FMC tended to consist of friends from whichever part of the country he was in that week, including police officers who have been told off for attending when they were supposed to be on duty(!) im sure I saw an article about that towards the start of this year(?). Wilfred De'ath is the only non-celeb directly linked to JS that I've heard was specifically investigated, I think and I believe their not pressing charges with him. Of course, some or most such people will be quite elderly if not dead by now. As said recently, its been claimed that there's no evidence of him operating as part of a peadophile ring, so perhaps their spending less time investigating the others side of it? I still presume the 'JS & others' strand of Operation Yewtree is active and being investigated behind closed doors.

He's 73 actually, according to this article:- http://news.sky.com/story/1087589/jimmy-tarbuck-in-child-sex-abuse-arrest

---

On another note, I'm finding the way the media are covering some of these cases rather confusing or misleading even. On BBC Breakfast they mentioned Tarbuck had been arrested by police investigating the JS scandal but then, a few sentences later, specifically noted that this arrest was not part of Operation Yewtree and not specifically linked to JS, just that those working on Yewtree passed information on to the relevant local police who acted on it, I think? it sounds like it wasn't the so called JS police who arrested him at all then, or did I mis-hear it? I wasn't paying that much attention but I find these things very confusing. I don't pay particularly close attention to everything yet I still pick up on things like that...its all getting a bit confusing.

True:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10040575/Jimmy-Tarbuck-arrested-over-historic-sex-abuse-allegations.html
    The arrest was made following information passed by Metropolitan Police officers working on Operation Yewtree to North Yorkshire Police.
    The police stressed that the arrest is not related to Operation Yewtree, although the complaint was first made to the detectives working on the investigation set up following the death of Jimmy Savile in 2011.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Quote from today's Daily Telegraph "Mr Tarbuck's agent could not be reached, but the entertainer told the Daily Mail: “I'm not commenting on this. You need to speak to my solicitor."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10040575/Jimmy-Tarbuck-arrested-over-historic-sex-abuse-allegations.html

I wonder why his agent isn't responding? Interesting to note that both Jimmy Tarbuck and Jim Davidson have the same agent: http://www.lauriemansfield.co.uk/clientList.html
  • FlohFloh Posts: 4,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The answer as to why people haven't been listened to or spoken until now has been repeated Ad Infinitum. Why on earth should a molester spend the last few years of his life in peace?
This discussion has been closed.