Options

Liberty department store documentary

yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
Forum Member
✭✭
I saw an advert earlier about liberty department store in London an really wanted to watch it. About four hours have passed and I have completely forgotten the date, channel and time it's on.
I want to record it

Any help please, thank you

Comments

• Options
    sanfran1sanfran1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Mon 2nd Dec on Ch 4
  • Options
    xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had a look at the place on Google Street View, and I was very surprised indeed to see it look like a mock Tudor house! :cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    Just had a look at the place on Google Street View, and I was very surprised indeed to see it look like a mock Tudor house! :cool:

It is a very weird shop. It is very 'tudorish' with beams and white plaster. It's small and pokey with strange shaped rooms and hallways. I understand it once stood somewhere else and was moved brick by brick to where it is now. :confused:
  • Options
    mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i love Liberty's. It does look totally out of place though - as if it has been beamed in from the 1600s. I think that's why I like it - almost like escaping into a parallel universe for an hour.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Liberty's too. When I lived in London it was my treat to go there on Saturday mornings and build (what I now know to be!) a Wish List. :D They imported some fascinating things but I was mildly but persistently obsessed by their fabric department and also their rugs which used to be displayed flung over the central balustrading. Love that shop but haven't been there for years. I'll definitely watch this program.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good evening - anyone else watching? :)
  • Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    I'm going to watch this as I find the store itself terribly impersonal
  • Options
    AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evening all, am watching this. Anyoe else joining me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »

*waves* woohoo :D It's me following you this time..lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Andagha wrote: »
    Evening all, am watching this. Anyoe else joining me?

Yep! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    *waves* woohoo :D It's me following you this time..lol

:D:D

I adore Liberty's - I could spend ages just looking at the fabulous fabrics and haberdashery. I'm not even a seamstress!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been to Libertys' before..Maybe it's one shop I should visit.

Hubby says they had a bargain basement when he went years ago..Wonder if they still do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Felix guy is one hell of an eccentric person by the looks of it.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    2 grand for a stuffed bear? pffft! what idiot would buy that?
  • Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    This programme is boring
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was that 3 cushions for £400?

I have to say Liberty's has only ever been a window shopping destination for me apart for some beautiful material to make a waistcoat for Mr Mazz when we got married.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    haven't been to Liberty for at least 20 years - I thought for some reason that it was no longer open. Think I may pay them a visit soon (although I won't be spending £400 on cushions!)
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised that the store has kept going because it's nothing like what most people expect from a modern department store. Whenever I've been there I find it extremely confusing with all the passageways and small sales area but I can understand why some people love it's quaintness - especially tourists.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Haberdashery lady looks like Su Pollard on acid
  • Options
    LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I could get lost in that haberdashery department! On a completely shallow note, I'm pleased that the cameraperson seems to have the same crush on that redhead as me :o
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went in to Liberty's once and after seeing the prices came out pretty sharpish!!!.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found that very enlightening and entertaining. Will definately tune in next week, although am interested to see if anyone did buy that £2000 big bear :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    I worked for Liberty a few years back and was delighted to see so many familiar faces still working there. Yes, the shops produce has had to evolve to keep the company afloat but for me it's was always it's delightful eccentricities that I loved the most! It's SO different from other department stores and that's why it would be a tragedy if it were to close!

And the reason it's wood everywhere is that the atrium was lifted from an old ship (there used to be a picture of the ship in the 2nd floor restaurant - not sure if still there) which is remarkable when you think of the timescale this was done.

Slightly odd programme but very much the same ethos and types of customers and staff of my Liberty of old. A real nostalgia trip for me!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Liberty is a complete one off as far as department stores go. I used to go in there for a wander when I worked on Oxford Street many years ago.

You can (or could) get totally lost in there - it was like going back in time and wandering around an old mansion owned by an eccentric family.

It's a little different these days, and some of their prices make your eyes water.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it. But really wanted to see more of the cosmetic perfume hall(that is my thing):love:

Never been in the store but have ordered makeup a few times over the years.