2»

Comments

• Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Why would you think I didn't know that?

I never said you didn't, just pointing out that a feature is enabled by subscription, and isn't there to start with, you imply it is a box that can record as standard, and Sky disable it, which isn't actually correct, they enable it for subscribers.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never said you didn't, just pointing out that a feature is enabled by subscription, and isn't there to start with, you imply it is a box that can record as standard, and Sky disable it, which isn't actually correct, they enable it for subscribers.

That semantics is off the point anyway. The point I was making was that there was no great advantage in owning the box over renting because as soon as the subscription is stopped then the box is emasculated, the disadvantage of ownership is clear when the box fails during subscription.
  • Options
    spaceman05spaceman05 Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never pay for a repair or a replacement box either, if I cant get it done for free from sky a quick email to Jeremy Darroch always seems to do the trick, and too be fair I have had to do that a fair few times over the years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaceman05 wrote: »
    I would never pay for a repair or a replacement box either, if I cant get it done for free from sky a quick email to Jeremy Darroch always seems to do the trick, and too be fair I have had to do that a fair few times over the years

This actually makes the situation even worse as those that don't do this are subsidising those that do.

I would much prefer Sky with a straight honest approach without the special offers for cancellers but being about to cancel/downgrade easily without the artificial barriers. The company behaves like a gigantic spiv.

(To be fair I've been able to downgrade easily via email for the past few years, I'll be trying tomorrow (so my Sports finishes after the play-offs) so I'll see if they've got as bad as has been reported - really you should be able to downgrade online).
  • Options
    spaceman05spaceman05 Posts: 1,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    This actually makes the situation even worse as those that don't do this are subsidising those that do.

I would much prefer Sky with a straight honest approach without the special offers for cancellers but being about to cancel/downgrade easily without the artificial barriers. The company behaves like a gigantic spiv.

(To be fair I've been able to downgrade easily via email for the past few years, I'll be trying tomorrow (so my Sports finishes after the play-offs) so I'll see if they've got as bad as has been reported - really you should be able to downgrade online).

don`t see how it makes the situation worse, I pay a monthly fee, quite a large monthly fee as well(not that I am complaining on the price, I choose to have it so I dont mind paying the price) for a service, if the equipment supplied is not up to standard for me to be able to use the service I pay a large monthly fee to use, then I expect the company that supplies that equipment to remedy this or they lose the monthly fee(this is where it is handy not being tied into a contract) and if they dont then I take it higher just like you or anybody else would with anything you where not happy with
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I downgraded to remove Sky Sports for the football season close - I used the "Cancel Sky TV" link because the downgrade link doesn't give any option other than telephone.

Sky called back and asked the wife (the account is in her name) loads of questions which apparently are necessary for security reasons, they couldn't answer why you could subscribe or upgrade online without security problems but not the other way around. They just didn't reply to the point that if anything on the account was removed without the security it could easily be added back with no almost loss of service by the click of a button whereas if services were added it is much more difficult to repair. We all know why you can upgrade online but not downgrade, it would be nice if they just admitted this.

I'm tempted to not bother renewing my Sky Sports next season, I spend too long watching football when I could be doing something more useful and the aggro of downgrading just gets me (and more importantly er indoors) annoyed. I'm certainly not going to take the movies for the summer which is something I had considered and probably would have done if you could downgrade online (I have done this in the past when they would accept downgrade via the online message function which although not as easy as a button click was not too bad).
  • Options
    richardcdonrichardcdon Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bottom of email from sky on ways to cancel might come in handy for anyone

There are a number of ways you can cancel

2.) If you decide to cancel a product or service, you must do one of the following:
    • Call us on 08442 414141
    • Write to us at: Customer Relations, Sky Subscribers Services Limited, PO Box 43, Livingston, West Lothian EH54 7DD
    • Fax us on +44 (0)1506 48 43 43
    • Send us an email by visiting the "Contact Us" section at sky.com

3.) You must give your name, address, postcode and Sky customer account number when you're cancelling any product or service you've ordered.

4.) If you cancel any product as set out above, Sky will repay anything you've already paid for it. You'll not be able to cancel your installation after the installation has started or claim a reimbursement of any installation costs you've incurred.

5.) If you cancel your Sky TV subscription but not your Sky box and minidish you may have to pay the difference between what you have paid for standard installation and our current full standard installation price of £120.

6.) If you cancel your subscription you will be billed for any services you have received, including Sky Box office order and Sky Talk calls you have made.

7.) You must keep any products that have been delivered to you safe for up to six months from the date you cancel. Once they're returned to Sky, your responsibility ends.

8.) We will contact you to arrange return of your Wireless Router, Sky box and any other related equipment. We will either supply reply paid packaging for the product to be posted to us or will collect it. We will be entitled to charge you our direct costs of its return and/or set the costs of return off against any amount that we owe you.

9.) Sky will contact you regarding any payment that’s due to Sky in respect of your cancellation.