Cheapest Networks?

NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,156
Forum Member
I recently bought a mobile from Tesco. Their prices are extortionate, it's like 15p a minute and 25p a text! also unexplained chunks go missing from my credit, and before you know it, my £10 is gone, it's a rip-off. I want to switch networks, is there any others that are more affordable?

Comments

• jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But don't you get loads of Clubcard points (worth about 2p)?
  • BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    Nostlagic wrote: »
    I recently bought a mobile from Tesco. Their prices are extortionate, it's like 15p a minute and 25p a text! also unexplained chunks go missing from my credit, and before you know it, my £10 is gone, it's a rip-off. I want to switch networks, is there any others that are more affordable?
    If you have a 3G phone "3's 321 plan" is hard to beat!

1p/Mb for data
    2p per text
    3p/minute UK calls

You will need to get the Tesco phone unlocked though!
  • d123d123 Posts: 8,594
    Forum Member
    I recently bought a mobile from Tesco. Their prices are extortionate, it's like 15p a minute and 25p a text!

Tesco PAYG is 10p per text...
  • hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BKM wrote: »

1p/Mb for data
    2p per text
    3p/minute UK calls

This.

Three is the best network. Signal can be a bit iffy in some places but the 321 plan and the All In One plans are amazing.
  • BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are your needs? Talk ? Text Data or a bit of everything? Do you want to pay per minute or a flat fee per month?
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    What are your needs? Talk ? Text Data or a bit of everything? Do you want to pay per minute or a flat fee per month?

1 Text???!!
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,156
    Forum Member

Just talking and texting. Not fussed about data as can download all the apps and stuff for free via Wi-Fi at home. Pay as you go would be preferable as i don't use it all that much to justify a subscription fee every month.
    BKM wrote: »

1p/Mb for data
    2p per text
    3p/minute UK calls

I have a Samsung Galaxy Ace. That's a great deal and exactly the kind of thing i was looking for!

Oh damn! i guess that aint cheap?
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talk Mobile do some cheap tariffs...pay monthly sim only plans start from £5.00 a month and gives 100 mins talk & 100 texts plus a small amount of data or £7.00 a months gets 250 mins & 5000 texts and 500MB data. Think they use the Vodaphone network.
  • rocketronnie75rocketronnie75 Posts: 400
    Forum Member

Have you looked at tescos pay monthly tariff?

For £7.50 you can get 500 mins with 5000 text or a tenner with data.

Also is your mobile locked to Tesco or is it unlocked?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bit in Bold - you said you've got a Samsung Galaxy Ace - if you have any apps or widgets that update in the background that will be using your credit for data.

Unless you've switched off cellular data, which is on by default, that will explain your money "going missing".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit in Bold - you said you've got a Samsung Galaxy Ace - if you have any apps or widgets that update in the background that will be using your credit for data.

Unless you've switched off cellular data, which is on by default, that will explain your money "going missing".

Yes switch off mobile data from the pull down menu on the home screen. That will stop that happening.

For straight up pay as you go Threes rates look about as cheap as you can get.

Getting yr phone unlocked will cost around a tenner from a market stall.
  • petefpetef Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    My site http://petef.22web.org/payg.html has a comprehensive list of PAYG tariffs. As others have said 3 is the cheapest but may not have coverage to suit you.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member

Yes switch off mobile data from the pull down menu on the home screen. That will stop that happening.

Damn it, I was going to be clever and say that!!
    :)
    Forum Member
    Have you looked at tescos pay monthly tariff?

For £7.50 you can get 500 mins with 5000 text or a tenner with data.

Also is your mobile locked to Tesco or is it unlocked?

Yeah Tesco is good for monthly tariffs, but i don't use it as much to go through all those minutes and texts. Will just put a tenner in it and that should do me a few months on a cheapo network for the little amount of time i use it.

Ah i remember not long after i got it, i went online and it ate up the remainder of my credit in no time, over 5 quid and getting a message "You've maxed out your data for today, but you can browse free for the rest of the day!" Enraged i was i then discovered the hidden pull down menu and the GPS was on... didn't realise i had to set it to Wi-Fi, doh!

But yes, the updates going on in the background does explain the missing credit prior to the GPS discovery, should've known!

Have done so, learned from my mistakes there lol.

Only around a tenner? Nice one. Fearing it would cost as much as the phone did!

Will go with Three then after i find someone to unlock it. Cheers everyone :)
  • ard100ard100 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Wow what a excellent web site shows all the rates from all the mvno it shows how expensive the main networks are apart from 3 who are cheap

petef wrote: »
    My site http://petef.22web.org/payg.html has a comprehensive list of PAYG tariffs. As others have said 3 is the cheapest but may not have coverage to suit you.
  • ard100ard100 Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Tesco mobile payg also have a lite tariff calls are 8p per min on that you can switch over to that while you get your phone unlocked,

CO-OP is a very good mvno you get EE 2g & 3g coverage and soon 4g then you can mix and match data call and text bundles.

3 is the best but can not use them do to no signal here,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are Tesco doing the Lite Tariff again?

For a while it was closed to new members- is it available again?
    Forum Member
    One more question. If i unlock my phone which was on Tesco, and switched to 3, what would happen to my remaining Tesco credit, would it be transferred over?
  • wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One more question. If i unlock my phone which was on Tesco, and switched to 3, what would happen to my remaining Tesco credit, would it be transferred over?

No they are entirely separate accounts. Use your existing credit and then switch and put credit on your new SIM card. Have a look at LycaMobile, GiffGaff and TalkMobile as they offer some attractive PAYG deals also.
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    GiffGaff or even White Mobile.
  • Mc256Mc256 Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    d123 wrote: »
    Tesco PAYG is 10p per text...

They also double your credit on pay as u go top up £10 get £ 20 credit although time limit on the free £10 but this is used first, excellent value.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others have said, Three's PAYG 1p/Mb 2p/text and 3p/per call is the cheapest in the UK.

If you ever find your needs go up in the future Three also offer great PAYG all in one bundles.
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they are entirely separate accounts. Use your existing credit and then switch and put credit on your new SIM card. Have a look at LycaMobile, GiffGaff and TalkMobile as they offer some attractive PAYG deals also.
    Neil_N wrote: »
    GiffGaff or even White Mobile.

I'm moving to giffgaff now.

I don't really use much voice so £12 for 250 voice minutes, unlimited Texts and unlimited Internet is ideal for me.

giffgaff goodybags

They also get a very high rating from Which? subscribers.