Kindle repairs

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
Forum Member
✭✭
My dad appears to have damaged his kindle paperwhite USB port by trying to plug his iPad Air charger into it.
He is still able to charge it but when it's plugged into the computer to download a book the computer is not showing it is attached.
Does anybody know if it is possible to get a new port put in as he has lots of books he wants to transfer onto his kindle from the computer.
I contacted Amazon and they don't do repairs.

Comments

• paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know about the repairs but your dad could email the books onto his Kindle
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT902XX03Nw and it doesn't look difficult to open it and take apart. So if you find any place that does repairs they could do Kindles, too. BTW Amazon support may offer a used repaired Kindle for a reasonable price. Did you talk with them about your options or only about repairing it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulj48 wrote: »
    Don't know about the repairs but your dad could email the books onto his Kindle

Is this easy to do?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT902XX03Nw and it doesn't look difficult to open it and take apart. So if you find any place that does repairs they could do Kindles, too. BTW Amazon support may offer a used repaired Kindle for a reasonable price. Did you talk with them about your options or only about repairing it?

They did say a reconditioned one is £62.
    I think just emailing the books is the best option if we can work out how to do it!
    If not I will take it to the local computer repair shop.
    He just gets a bit confused. He only reads biographies, mainly history.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aly1 wrote: »
    I think just emailing the books is the best option if we can work out how to do it!

It may stop charging after a while if the connector is too damaged and falls apart. You have an email assigned to it, it's shown in the device's settings. You use an email address that you use with your Amazon account and send an email from it to your Kindle email with a book as an attachment. Make sure wifi is on. Do you have 3G, too? If yes you have to use a free Kindle email for wifi only or you will be charged for a delivery of private documents over 3G.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From the Kindle manual:

Carrying and reading personal documents
    Your Kindle makes it easy to take your personal documents with you, eliminating the need
    to print them. You and your approved contacts can email documents to your Kindle. To locate
    your Send-to-Kindle E-mail address, from the Home screen tap the Menu button and select
    Settings. On the Settings page, tap Device Options and select Personalize Your Kindle. Your
    emailed personal documents will be backed up in your Kindle Library and ready to download
    at any time when Personal Document Archiving is enabled. To learn more about this feature
    and enable the Personal Document Archiving feature, go to the Manage Your Kindle page
    (accessible from www.kindle.com/support).

You can send Microsoft Word (DOC, DOCX), PDF, HTML, TXT, RTF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP,
    PRC, and MOBI files to your Kindle and read them in Kindle format. You can add notes,
    highlights, and bookmarks, which are synchronized across devices along with the last page
    you read via our Whispersync technology. Synchronization of notes, highlights, bookmarks,
    and last page read is available only for personal documents archived in Kindle format. You can
    also read documents in PDF and TXT format natively.

And a difference between the normal and free Kindle email address:

http://help.fivefilters.org/customer/portal/articles/233766-difference-between-kindle-com-and-free-kindle-com
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for your help Ivan, much appreciated.
  • paulj48paulj48 Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aly1 wrote: »

If they're books purchased from Amazon they should just appear on the Kndle automatically anyway (if wifi is switched on and available)

If the books are sourced elsewere then you could email them for him, set up you as an allowed email addresses on the Amazon website.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have emailed a couple of books today and they are now on the home screen, thanks again for the advice.