Sports Commentators (non-football) (Part 2)

Comments

• sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,473
    Forum Member
    Athletics on BBC 2 on Sunday. According to the guide it's commentary by Steve Cram, Andrew Cotter and Steve Backley. Has Paul Dickemson been dropped ? Haven't heard him on the BBC for some time now. Did he do Lord Mayors Show and/or London Marathon ?

The BBC's press release for the Commonwealth Games lists him among the commentators. It'll be Cram, Cotter, Dickinson and Foster. But it does seem like he's being phased out - which I can't disagree with, really.

Pundits are the usual collection - Johnson, Jackson, Lewis, Radcliffe and Tanni Grey-Thompson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/mediapacks/cwg/television
  • Jason CJason C Posts: 31,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    The BBC's press release for the Commonwealth Games lists him among the commentators. It'll be Cram, Cotter, Dickinson and Foster. But it does seem like he's being phased out - which I can't disagree with, really.

Those who heard the numerous mistakes he made during the Winter Olympics wouldn't disagree with it either.
  • Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pundits are the usual collection - Johnson, Jackson, Lewis, Radcliffe and Tanni Grey-Thompson.

Jason C wrote: »
    Those who heard the numerous mistakes he made during the Winter Olympics wouldn't disagree with it either.

Wouldn't surprise me if both Paul Dickenson and Brendan Foster cease to be part of the BBC Athletics commentary team at the end of the season. Both men are the last links to the David Coleman era.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Jason C wrote: »
    Wouldn't surprise me if both Paul Dickenson and Brendan Foster cease to be part of the BBC Athletics commentary team at the end of the season. Both men are the last links to the David Coleman era.

It does look though like Dickenson will do the field events and no longer be second string track commentator.
  • clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Wimbledon Womens Final 2014

Eugenie Bouchard vs Petra Kvitova

Commentators - Mark Petchey, Lindsay Davenport and John McEnroe
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tour de France, ITV & ITV4

Gary Imlach presenting live coverage and highlights with Chris Boardman and David Millar

Commentators: Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen

Reporters: Ned Boulting, Matt Rendell and Jill Douglas

A couple of new members to the ITV TdF team this year - David Millar joins as an analyst having missed out on competing, while Jill Douglas is part of their reporting team. It'll be interesting to see if she's used beyond the first three stages in England.
    Forum Member
    Wimbledon Mens Final 2014

Novak Djokovic vs Roger Federer

Commentators - Andrew Castle, Tim Henman and Jimmy Connors
  • LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,557
    Forum Member
    clever3000 wrote: »

In the United States, the ESPN commentary team was Chris Fowler, John McEnroe and Patrick McEnroe.
  • BigPatBigPat Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    It does look though like Dickenson will do the field events and no longer be second string track commentator.

My least favourite commentator, in any sport, bar none. Spouts inane comments, 100% filler. For example, in the 4-man bob final, I think it was, 22 out of the 30 teams were 'really going well'. Other favourites of his are "If he wants to win this" and "he'll want to beat his best here". He adds nothing.
  • shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wimbledon Womens Final 2014

Eugenie Bouchard vs Petra Kvitova

Commentators - Mark Petchey, Lindsay Davenport and John McEnroe

Ladies Doubles Final - Babos/Mladenovic v Errani/Vinci - Chris Bradnam & Tracy Austin

Mens Doubles Final - Bryan/Bryan v Pospisil/Sock - Nick Mullins & Peter Fleming

Mixed Doubles Final - Mirnyi/Chan v Zimonjic/Stosur - Simon Reed & Sam Smith
    Forum Member
    Have to say when looking back at the Wimbledon coverage the best commentators have been Mullins, Petchey, Cotter, Bradman and Reed. Can't see why BBC continue to put Castle on the Final but at least Becker wasnt on this year, he works well as a pundit but not as a commentator. Co Commentators havent been bad at all either and Smith, Austin and Davenport have been very good. But please get rid of Castle on commentary.
  • Li4mLi4m Posts: 5,688
    Forum Member
    Does Chris Bailey ever appear on any kind of tennis coverage any more?
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Li4m wrote: »

Very very rarely in Australia, but not anywhere else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Li4m wrote: »
    ariusuk wrote: »
    Very very rarely in Australia, but not anywhere else.

He was an excellent commentator
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was an excellent commentator

Indeed. And him and Petch together were hilarious... on and off air.
  • Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Rugby League

Thursday July 10

Live Super League: Wakefield Trinity Wildcats v Widnes Vikings – Sky Sports 1

Presenters/Commentators: Eddie Hemmings, Mike Stephenson, Phil Clarke, John Kear, Brian Carney & Jon Wells

Friday July 11

Live Super League: Castleford Tigers v Huddersfield Giants – Sky Sports 1

Presenters/Commentators: Eddie Hemmings, Mike Stephenson, Phil Clarke, Brian Carney, Barrie McDermott, Terry O’Connor & Jon Wells

Saturday July 12

Live Super League: Catalan Dragons v Wigan Warriors – Sky Sports 2

Presenters/Commentators: Bill Arthur, Rod Studd, Barrie McDermott, Terry O’Connor & Tony Rea

Golf

Women's Open on the BBC- Presented by Hazel Irvine. With commentary by Peter Alliss, Maureen Madill, Tom Abbott, Ken Brown and Mark James.

The Open on the BBC- Presented by Hazel Irvine. With commentary by Peter Alliss, Ken Brown, Andrew Cotter, Mark James, Phil Parkin, Maureen Madill, Scott Drummond and Frank Nobilo, and reports by Dan Walker.

Athletics

Glasgow Grand Prix on the BBC- Gabby Logan presents. With commentary by Steve Cram, Andrew Cotter, Ronald McIntosh, Brendan Foster and Jonathan Edwards, reports from Phil Jones, and analysis by Colin Jackson, Denise Lewis and Paula Radcliffe.

Sunday 20 July: Anniversary Games on Channel 4- Jonathan Edwards and Ade Adepitan present. Commentary by John Rawling and Katharine Merry.

Hurling

Sunday 13 July: Mayo v Galway and Cork v Limerick on RTE Two- Michael Lyster and Joanne Cantwell introduce. With analysis by Colm O'Rourke, Cyril Farrell, Eamon O'Hara, Ger Loughnane and Liam Sheedy, and commentary on the first match by Darragh Maloney and Martin Carney, and Ger Canning and Michael Duignan on the latter.

Gaelic Football

Sunday 20 July: Donegal v Monaghan on BBC2 NI- Austin O'Callaghan presents. With commentary by Mark Sidebottom and Paddy Bradley, analysis from Martin McHugh, Peter Canavan and Oisin McConville, and pitchside reports by Thomas Kane.
  • walaboobahwalaboobah Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't the BBC use Wayne Grady anymore on the golf? I used to like him!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Open on the BBC- Presented by Hazel Irvine. With commentary by Peter Alliss, Ken Brown, Andrew Cotter, Mark James, Phil Parkin, Maureen Madill, Scott Drummond and Frank Nobilo, and reports by Dan Walker.

Surely there must be another reporter, especially on the final day, given Walker is a Sabbath refusenik. Rishi Persad or Naga Munchetty maybe?
  • The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An unusual commentary-based story from Major League Baseball - New York Yankees fan Andrew Rector is launching a $10 million lawsuit against the Yankees, MLB, ESPN and their Sunday Night Baseball commentary duo of Dan Shulman and John Kruk for allegedly "disparaging" him as he was filmed sleeping during a Boston Red Sox @ New York Yankees game on April 13.

This article has an official video clip of the incident from MLB.com: http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/sleeping-yankees-fan-sues-espn-damages-070714

It's all a bit silly really, going by that clip it appears to me as if Shulman and Kruk were just gently teasing him. I think I watched the game in question (I can't be sure - SNB shows so many Red Sox-Yankees match-ups) and I honestly didn't recall the incident, that's how mild it was.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely there must be another reporter, especially on the final day, given Walker is a Sabbath refusenik. Rishi Persad or Naga Munchetty maybe?

Rishi and Russell Fuller are also onboard
  • BigPatBigPat Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    An unusual commentary-based story from Major League Baseball - New York Yankees fan Andrew Rector is launching a $10 million lawsuit against the Yankees, MLB, ESPN and their Sunday Night Baseball commentary duo of Dan Shulman and John Kruk for allegedly "disparaging" him as he was filmed sleeping during a Boston Red Sox @ New York Yankees game on April 13.

This article has an official video clip of the incident from MLB.com: http://msn.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/sleeping-yankees-fan-sues-espn-damages-070714

It's all a bit silly really, going by that clip it appears to me as if Shulman and Kruk were just gently teasing him. I think I watched the game in question (I can't be sure - SNB shows so many Red Sox-Yankees match-ups) and I honestly didn't recall the incident, that's how mild it was.

Some of the best commentators are in the slower sports, I think. Cricket commentary in this country is excellent (Botham notwithstanding) and baseball has Jon Miller, Vin Scully, Bob Uecker and Bob Costas to name just a few.

Maybe I just prefer a languid, relaxed style of commentary without the constant hyperbole.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rishi and Russell Fuller are also onboard

Rishi Persard some all rounder if he isn't reporting or presenting on CH4 Racing he almost is always on BBC Sport every weekend!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that on the Golf on BBC this week, the Women's Open, they have had Peter Allis, Young Kenneth etc but last night they had highlights from the Scottish Open. Hazel introduced it and she said "let's hand over to our commentators" but didn't introduce them. The first two were Sam Torrance and Dougie Donnelly. Not sure who the rest were. World feed perhaps ?
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that on the Golf on BBC this week, the Women's Open, they have had Peter Alliss, Young Kenneth etc but last night they had highlights from the Scottish Open. Hazel introduced it and she said "let's hand over to our commentators" but didn't introduce them. The first two were Sam Torrance and Dougie Donnelly. Not sure who the rest were. World feed perhaps ?

European Tour World feed. Ken Brown usually works for them and sometimes Andrew Cotter.

Great team. Dennis Hutchinson the voice of golf in south africa was their and so was Frank Nobilo who will be with the BBC next week. Really top class team.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rishi Persard some all rounder if he isn't reporting or presenting on CH4 Racing he almost is always on BBC Sport every weekend!

And he - along with Clare Balding - will be part of the BBC team covering the Commonwealth Games next week, meaning C4 will be without two of their main presenters for two of the biggest meetings of the summer; the King George meeting at Ascot on 26th July, with 5 days of Glorious Goodwood commencing the following Tuesday.