Options

Should dogs be forced to wear muzzles?

rickgellisonrickgellison Posts: 260
Forum Member
It seems a daily occurence where we read a story in the paper about a poor child getting mauled by a dog. Isn't it about time we enforced dog owners to 'muzzle up' their dogs whilst out in public places? Parks especially.

I think we can all agree that dogs are dangerous and turn at the flick of a switch. Maybe we should try this on the most vicious breeds with Rottwielers, Dobermans and Staffies?

I wholeheartadley believe that society would be a much safer place and children could roam freely in parks without the danger of a dog mauling them.

Comments

• Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we can all agree that dogs are dangerous and turn at the flick of a switch. Maybe we should try this on the most vicious breeds with Rottwielers, Dobermans and Staffies?

I thought this was the law anyone on these breeds ? But, any dog can turn nasty, even cute ikle ones.
  • Options
    Lennie59Lennie59 Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Most dog bites happen indoors - by the household's own dog.
  • Options
    ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    There's no such thing as a dangerous dog, only a dangerous owner. The owners who keep dogs in such a way that they are mauling other people should be jailed for mistreatment of animals, as well as being held responsible for the injuries or deaths caused by their animal.
  • Options
    yappyyappy Posts: 6,310
    Forum Member
    yes i mean i cant even go for a run in the park because im scared il get attacked to death by a dog. i think they should deffo be forced to wear one of those things in public places
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    It seems a daily occurence where we read a story in the paper about a poor child getting mauled by a dog

Does it? Where?
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Certainly not. The breeds you have named only have a reputation for being vicious because they are protective dogs that in very rare cases have been raised to be vicious to people other than their owner.

There are already laws in place that dogs should be kept on a lead in the park and that if that were properly enforced there would be no need for muzzles.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    99.9% of dog attacks are caused by the person antagonizing the dog, so no.
  • Options
    missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think they should be muzzled but they should be on leads in public places (apart from in parks and other open spaces).

However neither a law on muzzles or leads would ever be workable and luckily most dog owners are good owners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    Certainly not. The breeds you have named only have a reputation for being vicious because they are protective dogs that in very rare cases have been raised to be vicious to people other than their owner.

There are already laws in place that dogs should be kept on a lead in the park and that if that were properly enforced there would be no need for muzzles.

What if the dog is a big dog and straining the leash on a 'weak' owner?

I think a muzzle is the safest option, we can all agree on that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rosco2010 wrote: »
    99.9% of dog attacks are caused by the person antagonizing the dog, so no.

Exactly. Particularly when it comes to attacks on children.

Parents should be responsible for controlling their children but God forbid that they should be expected to take any responsibility for what they brought into the world.
  • Options
    sadoldbirdsadoldbird Posts: 9,626
    Forum Member
    yappy wrote: »
    yes i mean i cant even go for a run in the park because im scared il get attacked to death by a dog. i think they should deffo be forced to wear one of those things in public places

Most dogs' barks are worse than their bites.

So can't you, well, yap back at them?
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No....why should my dog which is under my control at all times as she is never let off the lead when out have to wear a muzzle?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And to date how many times have you even been attacked by a dog, let alone attacked to death.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's no such thing as a dangerous dog, only a dangerous owner. The owners who keep dogs in such a way that they are mauling other people should be jailed for mistreatment of animals, as well as being held responsible for the injuries or deaths caused by their animal.

Dogs have teeth, they can kill. Of course they are dangerous. Silly comment I am afraid.
  • Options
    MintMint Posts: 2,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would prefer to see dogs with powerful jaws muzzled when they are off the lead.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No I will not agree on that, I feel very strongly that muzzles are cruel and are actually more likely to antagonise a dog that is prone to aggression.

If the owner can't control the dog, then they should exercise it in a private place or find a new owner who is capable of looking after a large dog.
  • Options
    Forum Member

If a dog is properly trained, it will not strain at the leash.

I wouldn't dream of allowing my 8 year old to walk my Bullmastiff on his own in the street or park because I believe that's common sense but I know that he can walk him around the garden for fun and the dog will walk to heel because that is what he has been trained to do from the moment he was big enough to have a collar and lead put on him. He doesn't even pull when he sees another dog, a cat, a bird, a fox, a squirrel, a child, a jogger, a cyclist, nothing.

As for your last sentence, I'd answer it if it weren't already such a blatant contradiction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    No I will not agree on that, I feel very strongly that muzzles are cruel and are actually more likely to antagonise a dog that is prone to aggression.

If the owner can't control the dog, then they should exercise it in a private place or find a new owner who is capable of looking after a large dog.

Well if it is muzzled then who cares if the dog is antagonised? It can't bite anyone so what is the problem?
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Most dog owners and most dogs are fine most of the time.

The common theme in most of the "dog bites..." is that either the dog has been mishandled, the owners are stupid or it's a dog that isn't of the temprement to be around people who it doesn't know, or a dog that is off it's lead (often due to the first two options)

It's also worth noting that a lot of the "dog bites" are in private residences, or not in public places.

The third type should be made to wear a muzzle, and unfortunately for the last one any muzzle requirement is going to be ignored..

My suggestion would be.
    1: Much stronger enforcement of existing laws in regards to "dangerous" breeds of dogs.
    2: More powers for dogs to be removed from owners who are not suitable (the idiots who buy a "tough" dog and try to make out they are "tough guys" and then get surprised when it doesn't like the young child pulling on it's tail)..

Most dog owners are pretty sensible as it is, and will either keep the dog on the lead at all times, or muzzle it if there is any doubt about it.
    Unfortunately you get owners and non owners who don't have a clue about how to deal with dogs.
    I've seen parents let their kids run up to dogs they don't know to pet them without checking with the owner, when the dog is on a lead (a big no no, some dogs don't like being handled by people they don't know).
    I've also seen a certain "class" (well, not really class as chav isn't a class, but rather a lack of it..*) of dog owner who have no idea and don't see any problem with letting a nervious/aggressive dog of it's lead, let alone a muzzle.

I say this as someone who has had a few dogs in my time, and who never lets his off it's lead in public, and will put a muzzle on him when he goes to the vets (he's a great dog with children and most people, but the moment he goes into the vets he gets very nervous and slightly snappy - he's only a toy poodle though not a doberman or great dane).

*and they can come from all sorts of backgrounds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    sadoldbird wrote: »
    Most dogs barks are worse than their bites.

So can't you, well, yap back at them?

no i end up screaming.

i went for a walk last week round this big pondy resovoiry place and this dog ran up to me and jumped up on me so i started screaming and the owners just stood there not even saying anything. this is just plain wrong in my eyes. i mean how are you meant to know if a dogs gona bite you or not? and i didnt go for a walk to get a big wet dog jumping on me!! owners need to take more responsibity
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well if it is muzzled then who cares if the dog is antagonised? It can't bite anyone so what is the problem?

That looks very much like a troll post.
  • Options
    dellydelly Posts: 10,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot understand why certain breeds of dog are allowed to roam free or are allowed out without being on a lead. Some people are afraid of them. I am nervous of Staffies. My dog was attacked by one a few years ago.. If an owner cannot control a dog then it should be muzzled.

The point is that more Staffs are being put down than any other dog. Did people not see the Panorama episode last year? It is because of irresponsible owners, but responsible owners need to give them back their good name. It is unfair on the dog. And, one child being mauled is too many.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    solarflare wrote: »
    And to date how many times have you even been attacked by a dog, let alone attacked to death.

well seen i live in fear of dogs i dont really tend to mix with them, and try to avoid the places where dogs are likely to be roaming free
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That looks very much like a troll post.

Excuse me? I don't know what a troll is. I merely stated from an attack point of view an antagonised dog cannot attack anybody - if wearing a muzzle.
  • Options
    BatmanLaBatmanBatmanLaBatman Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When was the last time we heard about a dog mauling a child? Not that I pay much attention because I end up losing my rag at the story of irresponsible ownership, parenting and/or grandparenting that invariably emerges.
    no i end up screaming.

I'm sorry but if you did that in front of me I would just treat you with the ridicule that reaction would deserve.