✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    But, but... aren't you on the 16th floor? :confused:

I'm not in Hollywood Towers, love! The very idea :eek:

Second floor of a small sequestered apartment complex :cool:
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping that the West Midlands serves up some good regional adverts for me tonight
    You can't beat The Black Country Living Museum
    Say what you like but Chris and Alison can act:)
    CHris has been doing the same lines for years. HE has had pelenty of time to get them right
    As if Brian will give a toss!
    Of course he does
    MsWilder11 wrote: »
    Peter's so nasty when he's drunk! Why would Carla bother with him?
    Carla says that she still loves him. She needs to have a chat with Leanne.
    Jesus, Brian is the worst character in the current cast.
    Jesus Brian:confused:
    What a shock Brian doesnt give a toss! :rolleyes:
    sarahcs wrote: »
    Ooh I was right!
    IN theory Bran should now be able to easily deal the bully.
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Why do they call him Mr. Packham? He's Brian and hangs around with Julie in t'Rovers!!!
    The Lovely Julie
    Now we'll find out why Brian is scared of this girl.
    There is no reason why he should be scared.
    mrbernay wrote: »
    Detention for the next fortnight = during the holidays then....
    Anna never even bothered to find out what was happening to the other girl:rolleyes:
    Makson wrote: »
    Rob's hairstyle is absolutely terrible.....cringe!!!!!
    He has been in the chokey
    kittykat30 wrote: »
    Peter really excelled himself tonight. I didn't think he could anymore pathetic and nasty. But he managed it.

Tis true. He was also so predictable
  • billiobillio Posts: 3,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I think so too. I think it's because he achieves such an amazingly accurate portrayal of alcoholism as a disease and the fact that most of can remember when he was a lot more likeable.
    Plus it's hard not to feel sorry for someone who is ripping his relationship with his son to shreds, knows he's doing it, but can't do anything to stop it.

Absolutely, it's heartbreaking, but so true. This is a vivid portrayal of what happens with alcoholics.

He's an amazing actor.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Yes, I think so too. I think it's because he achieves such an amazingly accurate portrayal of alcoholism as a disease and the fact that most of can remember when he was a lot more likeable.
    Plus it's hard not to feel sorry for someone who is ripping his relationship with his son to shreds, knows he's doing it, but can't do anything to stop it.

His main problem is that he's a passive, aggressive, self centred, impulsive man child, the drink just adds to his existing faults.
    He's a Blackhole sucking the light and life out of whole districts when he's had a drink, poor value sober, worth tuppence hapenny when in the drink.
    He's an Icubus, women should stay well away.
    'Women beware, the Peter Barlow, that way only lies pain and death....'
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,474
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His main problem is that he's a passive, aggressive, self centred, impulsive man child, the drink just adds to his existing faults.
    He's a Blackhole sucking the light and life out of whole districts when he's had a drink, poor value sober, worth tuppence hapenny when in the drink.

Is that something like a bendy-bus?
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    We need a failed liver storyline
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

lol yes. this.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

Any particular reason why?
  • GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As usual pretty much these days, the final pages of each Corrie thread are the only ones worth reading.

A summation of the best that has gone before.

I tend to watch Corrie off PVR time-slipped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....'Women beware, the Peter Barlow, that way only lies pain and death....'

Agreed, and men?

Men beware, the Gail Platt, that way only lies pain and death and being hit by a yacht., driven into the docks, stabbed or thrown downstairs. Or all 17.
  • Melp26Melp26 Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    billio wrote: »
    Absolutely, it's heartbreaking, but so true. This is a vivid portrayal of what happens with alcoholics.

He's an amazing actor.

Aaaargh, no, no, no, no, no! He repeatedly makes a CHOICE to start drinking again he is not powerless and "alcoholism" is not a disease. He can stop when he wants to and he can start agian when he wants to, he's selfish and that's all there is to it.

Guy who plays him is a good actor though and it's written well. That is what people who abuse alcohol at the expense of everything else in their lives are like. Self pitying, pathetic, selfish, mean, blame it on everyone else - hideous.

Totally agree with this. Until he decides to NEVER drink again no ifs or buts he's absolutely no use to anyone and will only hurt them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alcoholism is a disease. Read up on it, and other addictions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alcoholism is a disease. Read up on it, and other addictions.

I don't need to read up on it thanks, I understand it is currently classed as a disease by the medical community but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it. "Hysteria" was a "disease" back in the day, characterized by women wanting to be able to work and not just skivvy for their husbands (basically).

I have experience of addiction, not being addicted myself, rather, being around those who are. I'm not doubting addiction is real both mental and physical but both can be broken and the person can go on to NEVER use again. If they "relapse" they do so by choice however much they would like others to believe it's beyond their control.

Think about it, how can it be any other way? Once the physical addiction is gone there is no "need" to use. The brain can and will throw up thoughts about using and suggestions to use but the person themselves has to make a choise to carry out the physical actions necessary to use. Conversley they can chose not to and just move on with their life. If this were not the case how come there are so many ex-users who never go back to it?
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glomper wrote: »
    As usual pretty much these days, the final pages of each Corrie thread are the only ones worth reading.

A summation of the best that has gone before.

I tend to watch Corrie off PVR time-slipped.

I still love you Glomper xxx :)
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melp26 wrote: »
    I don't need to read up on it thanks, I understand it is currently classed as a disease by the medical community but that doesn't mean I have to agree with it. "Hysteria" was a "disease" back in the day, characterized by women wanting to be able to work and not just skivvy for their husbands (basically).

I have experience of addiction, not being addicted myself, rather, being around those who are. I'm not doubting addiction is real both mental and physical but both can be broken and the person can go on to NEVER use again. If they "relapse" they do so by choice however much they would like others to believe it's beyond their control.

Think about it, how can it be any other way? Once the physical addiction is gone there is no "need" to use. The brain can and will throw up thoughts about using and suggestions to use but the person themselves has to make a choise to carry out the physical actions necessary to use. Conversley they can chose not to and just move on with their life. If this were not the case how come there are so many ex-users who never go back to it?

Exactly the same way as there are ex-smokers and smokers who have tried to give up 100 times and not succeeded. Different people handle addictions in different ways. Doesn't mean the addiction has miraculously gone away. I think what you mean is the weaker a person's character, the less well they deal with an addiction. That much is true.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still love you Glomper xxx :)

I don't. *sulks*
  • KornerKabinKornerKabin Posts: 20,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't. *sulks*

I'm trying to do a bit of that reverse psychology stuff!! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melp26 wrote: »

oh right, we have an expert.

Overcoming addiction is incredibly hard. Look how hard people find giving up smoking, or cutting down on sweet things, then multiply it. Those who try and succeed usually need support to do it. Those who try and fail need all the support they can get.
    It could happen to any of us who enjoy a drink, smoke or other buzz, could happen to any of those Corrie characters who are always in the Rovers.

With ref. to Mr Barlow, he needed support at that difficult time, not someone screaming at him, threatening to take his son away, making him feel and look small .... yes, addicts are needy, and if you have one in the family it is draining but the decent humane thing to do is not make them feel worse, even if you have to remove yourself from their orbit as much as possible.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great scenes between Peter and Leanne last night - those two actors are superb together in those kind of highly charged scenes. Leanne can be a right bitch but I felt sorry for her last night, he was only asking her to go back to him because he was drunk, not surprised she told him where to go. He was incredibly cruel to Carla too. When Peter's like that he deserves to be alone, alcoholism or no alcoholism.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh right, we have an expert.

Overcoming addiction is incredibly hard. Look how hard people find giving up smoking, or cutting down on sweet things, then multiply it. Those who try and succeed usually need support to do it. Those who try and fail need all the support they can get.
    It could happen to any of us who enjoy a drink, smoke or other buzz, could happen to any of those Corrie characters who are always in the Rovers.

With ref. to Mr Barlow, he needed support at that difficult time, not someone screaming at him, threatening to take his son away, making him feel and look small .... yes, addicts are needy, and if you have one in the family it is draining but the decent humane thing to do is not make them feel worse, even if you have to remove yourself from their orbit as much as possible.

i didn't say I was an expert (anymore than you are) but I'm entitled to my opinion. You're right in that any of us could drink too much, smoke too much, inject too much etc but I don't believe that's something that happens TO us rather it happens BY us.

People stop when they want to. Usually when they decide that the cons of using outway the pros. It's a very personal desicion as to when that is. Lots of people use a lot of their chosen substance and don't mind, they're happy to do so. It may be adversly affecting others in their life, it may be adversly affecting them, but that doesn't bother them or at least not the extent that they care enough to change it, so they carry on using.

Also don't think there's anything wrong with telling an addict the truth about just how pathetic they've become. If you make light of it or pretend it isn't as bad as it is, you're not helping you're just making them feel better about being such a loser (the Americans call it enabling I believe). Same goes for telling them they are ill and it's not their fault, you're just giving them yet more excuses to use.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

Sorry, Peter will get short shrift from me, he's a (see post above) before he's had a drink and was before he had a drink problem.
    If he wasn't such (see post above) then he'd have support for his drinking problems.
    His main problem isn't the drink, that just exacerbates things IMO.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, Leanne, a drink, maybe not the best thing to say.
  • Rita's KabinRita's Kabin Posts: 36,383
    Forum Member
    FW = First words in episodes
    BB = Last words Before Break
    AB = First words After Break
    LW = Last Words in episode

Tonight’s episode appearances are confirmed as:-

+ Carla (FW)
    + Rob
    + Michelle
    + Tyrone
    + Tommy

+ Peter (BB) (LW)
    + Brian
    + Anna
    + Leanne (AB)
    + Owen

+ Gary
    + Marcus
    + Maria
    + Kirsty
    + Tina

+ Ken
    + Deirdre

Kissing tonight

None
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't stop laughing when Leanne and Ken were giving a description of Peter and his clothes.

"Jeans, leather jacket .... pretty battered"

You forgot the ever-present WHITE T-SHIRT!!:D:D