Options

Freesat Freetime Network Settings

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,298
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I've had a quick look online to try and find screenshots of the network settings for Freesat Freetime but haven't been able to find anything.

On my current Freesat Foxsat HDR box, I can manually set the network settings instead of DHCP (to change IP adddress, DNS server) which is necessary for the way I have my box connected.

I want to know if this is the same for Freesat Freetime and if someone would be kind enough to post a screenshot of this for me! Or is there an online user guide somewhere?

Many thanks...

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Manual settings are possible, the option only appears if you disconnect the network first, otherwise it grabs a IP address using DHCP. Hopefully Repassac will read this post, he has played with this option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manual settings are possible, the option only appears if you disconnect the network first, otherwise it grabs a IP address using DHCP. Hopefully Repassac will read this post, he has played with this option.

Thank you for the help. I have to add a specific IP address and DNS server as I currently can on my old Freesat+ HDR.
  • Options
    REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miriyo wrote: »
    Thank you for the help. I have to add a specific IP address and DNS server as I currently can on my old Freesat+ HDR.

Currently it fails to store the DNS settings leaving it as was.
    It you have had a DHCP issued address this will be your routers address (and in effect it will be what DNS's your router is pointed at).

If you have control of the router or DHCP server you could pre-allocate the IP there as well.

Are you attached to a cooperate network or possibly a VPN?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    Currently it fails to store the DNS settings leaving it as was.
    It you have had a DHCP issued address this will be your routers address (and in effect it will be what DNS's your router is pointed at).

Are you attached to a cooperate network or possibly a VPN?

Well both really!

Since neither my Freesat+ nor router has the capability to store VPN username/password, I was issued with a DNS address to manually add instead.

On the old Freesat+ it works fine and is stored since I can choose DHCP or manual and as long as I don't completely switch off the box. If I do that, I have to go back to the network settings screen and then it applies them again. So as long as I stay in standby, it's fine.

So are you saying I can add a DNS and as soon as I plug the network cable back in, it will lose it again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well both really!

Since neither my Freesat+ nor router has the capability to store VPN username/password, I was issued with a DNS address to manually add instead.

On the old Freesat+ it works fine and is stored since I can choose DHCP or manual and as long as I don't completely switch off the box. If I do that, I have to go back to the network settings screen and then it applies them again. So as long as I stay in standby, it's fine.

So are you saying I can add a DNS and as soon as I plug the network cable back in, it will lose it again?

It does not currently apply or save the change to DNS.

Cannot your Foxsat use your ISP's Name Server or is it part of a non UK address space? Humax are aware of this problem but I think it will be quite low priority as very few would want / need to use it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does not currently apply or save the change to DNS.

Cannot your Foxsat use your ISP's Name Server or is it part of a non UK address space? Humax are aware of this problem but I think it will be quite low priority as very few would want / need to use it.

That's really annoying. That not working is the one thing that will stop me buying one then.

I use VPN to the UK from elsewhere or can set a DNS for devices that don't support VPN. My Playstation makes use of this too. Well I hope Humax fix it at some stage then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's really annoying. That not working is the one thing that will stop me buying one then.

I use VPN to the UK from elsewhere or can set a DNS for devices that don't support VPN. My Playstation makes use of this too. Well I hope Humax fix it at some stage then.

Can you say a bit more re "or can set a DNS for devices that don't support VPN" there must be more to this than just using another DNS - is this some form of proxy server redirect? You have got me quite interested.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you say a bit more re "or can set a DNS for devices that don't support VPN" there must be more to this than just using another DNS - is this some form of proxy server redirect? You have got me quite interested.

Well the company I use who provide the VPN service also offer a solution for devices like satellite receivers. They gave me a value to enter into "Primary DNS" on my device and as long as my current IP address is registered with them, the device behaves in the same way as if I were using a VPN to the UK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    Can you let me know who you use for your VPN service?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fergusm wrote: »
    Can you let me know who you use for your VPN service?

I would like to know as well p.m. us if you don't want to post it.