Comments

• MurkMurk Posts: 1,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott_P wrote: »
    ...now available for pre-order!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/214950/

Expensive but I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting it

Why is downloading pc games getting more expensive they used to be £30-35 and now it seems some think they can justify us paying £45 for a game :eek:

I'm not gonna pre-order the game because it's likely to have bugs and things so i'm gonna wait for them to be ironed out and the price to come down to a reasonable level.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Murk wrote: »
    Why is downloading pc games getting more expensive they used to be £30-35 and now it seems some think they can justify us paying £45 for a game :eek:

I'm not gonna pre-order the game because it's likely to have bugs and things so i'm gonna wait for them to be ironed out and the price to come down to a reasonable level.

Aye i'm pretty sure it'll do down to £30ish closer to release, or just after, no physical shop would sell it at £45...when MW2 came out the RRP was £54.99 wasn't it? Most places sold it at £40ish I think.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh. Wait a couple of months and it will be £15 on a Steam weekend deal!
  • Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/gb/en/pc/games/strategy/total-war-rome-ii/

GMG is where to go for pre-orders. 25% off using voucher code that is displayed on the right hand side.
  • Weigh-ManWeigh-Man Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I find annoying is that they don't release it until September and they are already advertising DLC for it, at £44.99 I would expect the DLC to be a part of the main game.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weigh-Man wrote: »
    What I find annoying is that they don't release it until September and they are already advertising DLC for it, at £44.99 I would expect the DLC to be a part of the main game.

That's the way it is now unfortunately. For every one person who thinks like you there will be probably 10 who aren't bothered and will just pre-order regardless.
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not going to bother at launch this time. As much as i'm a huge TW fan, these days they tend to release the games unfinished. If you get Rome 2 at launch expect to see big bugs and strange AI decisions, Empire Total War was notorious for this, and they released Shogun II without DX11 enabling (adding it in 6 weeks later).

It might be out in September but I think it'll be at least December before its patched into a robust state.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Strangely you can pre-order a boxed copy from GAME or Amazon UK for £30. So yeah downloading would be insane.

What are Sega playing at?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm MASSIVELY looking forward to it, but I hope there'll be a demo (there probably won't be a demo) so I can see whether I need to start shelling out money on upgrading my PC before I shell out on the game... it's holding its own pretty well with current releases, but I can't see that continuing much longer.
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    I'm MASSIVELY looking forward to it, but I hope there'll be a demo (there probably won't be a demo) so I can see whether I need to start shelling out money on upgrading my PC before I shell out on the game... it's holding its own pretty well with current releases, but I can't see that continuing much longer.

You should actually be fine if you were able to play Shogun 2 at an acceptable level. As I understand it, the more juicy graphics are in part owed to better optimization since Empire. As long as you have a decent i5 (or AMD equivalent) and a half decent GPU you should be fine enough.

OT: Yeah I will end up getting it as well, Total War games since Shogun 1 have been auto buys for me, with Rome enforcing that idea, Medieval 2 casting it in gold, Empire dragging it back into question, then Shogun 2 being a solid and very good game.

I am annoyed I have to wait so long, I have already done most of the Clans on S2 already, I want more stuff!
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    You should actually be fine if you were able to play Shogun 2 at an acceptable level. As I understand it, the more juicy graphics are in part owed to better optimization since Empire. As long as you have a decent i5 (or AMD equivalent) and a half decent GPU you should be fine enough.

Fingers crossed!
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    OT: Yeah I will end up getting it as well, Total War games since Shogun 1 have been auto buys for me, with Rome enforcing that idea, Medieval 2 casting it in gold, Empire dragging it back into question, then Shogun 2 being a solid and very good game.

I am annoyed I have to wait so long, I have already done most of the Clans on S2 already, I want more stuff!

Empire was weird for me- technically it was amazing, but I don't know if it was because it was too huge, or if it's just that the period has never grabbed me in the same way as the others, but I just wasn't feeling it, really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed!

Empire was weird for me- technically it was amazing, but I don't know if it was because it was too huge, or if it's just that the period has never grabbed me in the same way as the others, but I just wasn't feeling it, really.

I liked Empire and Napoleon, but not as much as the others.

For me I think its because I prefer the hand to hand melee combat style of Rome, Medieval, Shogun, over the rigid 'lines of riflemen' style of Empire/Napoleon.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed!

+1

I do really like it, the fights are awesome, as are the naval battles...but the game is just too big, trying to play on three continents is pretty overwhelming and the turns take forever because there are so many factions (although i'm sure there is a mod somewhere to fix that...)

I have Medieval 2 and Shogun 2 at home but haven't installed them yet....may give them a whirl at some point.

Also, Rome 2 is now down to £29.99 on steam, I have a couple of friends that pre-ordered at £44.99 who aren't happy :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott_P wrote: »
    +1

Also, Rome 2 is now down to £29.99 on steam, I have a couple of friends that pre-ordered at £44.99 who aren't happy :D

You can actually get pre-orders cancelled/refunded on Steam. They should be able to stop it and pre-order at the cheaper rate
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought i'd post some promising Campaign map/gameplay footage here from E3.

http://uk.gamespot.com/e3/total-war-rome-ii-e3-2013-stage-demo-6410148/

I like the way it's shaping up (ramming enemy ships looks so fun). However i'm skeptical about the feasibility of their 'making sure it has similar specs to Shogun 2' pledge.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really, really looking forward to this one. I have been shelling out on hardware in eager anticipation.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Davonator wrote: »
    You can actually get pre-orders cancelled/refunded on Steam. They should be able to stop it and pre-order at the cheaper rate

If you contact them they can refund a pre-order provided that they respond to your support ticket before the game is released. This game is actually related to the reason for me knowing that. :p

My younger brother wanted me to pre-order a game called Payday 2 on Steam. He gave me the money so I'd buy it electronically. I then bought it for £30 and didn't select to buy it as a gift. I just thought it'd sell me a serial key and I'd be able to send it to him to activate it on his Steam account. Turns out the game goes straight into my account ready to download and install.

I then contacted Steam with a support ticket and I asked if I could have it transferred to his account since I haven't touched it yet. They said they don't normally do refunds but because it's on pre-order then they're able to do it provided that it's not released by the time they get back to me. They then put £30 into my Steam account (which I can't withdraw). And then instead of buying his game and selecting it as a gift, he bought it from his own account and so I had that £30 sitting in my Steam account which I then used for Rome II and these Greek DLCs (going at £30).

In regards to the Rome/Medieval games vs Empire/Napoleon, I've always preferred the Rome types. But that's because I've always favoured old, sword/close combat type games to shooters (with the obvious exceptions of Empire Earth and Command & Conquer). While I liked the TWs in a more modern time period I think the others are better because it's at a nicer pace for starters and I think there's more strategy involved. Utilising cavalry, swordsmen, pikemen and the use of archers.

I did like the researching on Empire and Napoleon though, but they slowed down the game too much for me. I liked buying completed research topics from other factions. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    I'm not going to bother at launch this time. As much as i'm a huge TW fan, these days they tend to release the games unfinished. If you get Rome 2 at launch expect to see big bugs and strange AI decisions, Empire Total War was notorious for this, and they released Shogun II without DX11 enabling (adding it in 6 weeks later).

It might be out in September but I think it'll be at least December before its patched into a robust state.

Annoyingly, reading the Eurogamer review it seems my prediction has come true :(. Im sure the game will be great, it will just need a few months patches and updates to get there.

I do wish this would stop though with TW titles
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • blacksuit42blacksuit42 Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This game had best be good... Steam is taking an absolute age downloading and unpacking it -.-
  • hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This game had best be good... Steam is taking an absolute age downloading and unpacking it -.-

My retail version came on 3 dvds and that was only 90% of the install as it then downloaded the release day update :rolleyes:

Seems quite good after having a play of some of the prologue, (doesn't let you save during the first two bits of it.)

Not too sure how much time I'll end up playing it - the reviews and initial gameplay does suggest quite a steep learning but I'll see.....
  • KerangKerang Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is my first venture into the Total War series and I'm really enjoying it. Though to be honest I haven't got a clue what I'm doing half the time :D I started the prologue, failed already and had to restart it but doing better now. I can already tell I will be playing this for a long time.

I've noticed on the Steam discussion forums a lot of people are having problems with not being able to install it, bad lag or textures plus other stuff. It looks amazing on my end and runs smooth so far.
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone explain how the DLC works? I preordered a retail copy from Tesco. I have installed this (like someone above said, it was 90% installed when the disc content had finished installing, the rest was downloaded).

How do I get access to the Greek DLC? Apparently there should be two activation codes in the retail box but there was only one.
  • hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordanT91 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain how the DLC works? I preordered a retail copy from Tesco. I have installed this (like someone above said, it was 90% installed when the disc content had finished installing, the rest was downloaded).

How do I get access to the Greek DLC? Apparently there should be two activation codes in the retail box but there was only one.

I'm assuming that your order was an online one. That being the case I believe, as with all preorders DLC offers, a code will be emailed to you during the next few days.

(This was what happened to me with a pre-order from Play - Fallout NV? - a few years back and in a discussion at Amazon's Rome 2 page someone spoke to CS and got the same message.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The internet really has been in meltdown over this game in the last few days!!