Options

Beko Fridge advice needed

Seb ScorchSeb Scorch Posts: 85
Forum Member
Hi,
My fridge is on setting 1 of 5, yet it is extremely cold and my food is almost frozen. If I turn it to 0, the light goes off and I'm assuming it turns the fridge off totally. Is this correct and how can I make it less cold?

Comments

• Options
    SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done a few of these recently, there's a tiny PCB inside where the 'thermostat' dial is. It probably needs replacing, if that doesn't cure it then then main PCB at the back will need swapping out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've done a few of these recently, there's a tiny PCB inside where the 'thermostat' dial is. It probably needs replacing, if that doesn't cure it then then main PCB at the back will need swapping out.

how do I get into the thermostat? Its not budging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a single screw that needs to be undone, then the whole thing unclips.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the dial a potentiometer? If it is and hasn't been used for a long time, it may have gone open circuit from oxidation. Try turning it all the way back and forth loads and loads of times to clear the carbon tracks inside. Pure guess mind you, I've not seen inside a fridge one but worth a go?
  • Options
    Forum Member

where do I get one of these?
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beko= dump in nearest skip
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had this recently, on a fridge freezer I had been given. I chucked it out and bought a new one because I thought it was broken, but later on the person who gave me it said when it did that, there was a drain inside the fridge part that was blocked. I thought I had cleared it anyway beforehand but it might be worth a try.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mackara wrote: »

I've seen your posts regarding domestic appliances before, and I think I can safely say that's exactly what I'd do with any of the 'advice' from you.
    You have about as much knowledge of Appliance repairs as a lobotomised donkey, and that's being a bit unfair to the donkey...
    I had this recently, on a fridge freezer I had been given. I chucked it out and bought a new one because I thought it was broken, but later on the person who gave me it said when it did that, there was a drain inside the fridge part that was blocked. I thought I had cleared it anyway beforehand but it might be worth a try.

Would have nothing to do with the OP's fault in any way whatsoever. But at least your post was better than mackara's.

OP, post me the model number and I'll get you the correct part number. The part is very cheap and a doddle to fit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OP, post me the model number and I'll get you the correct part number. The part is very cheap and a doddle to fit.

Thanks for being so helpful, but you don't need to bother. I'll just go to a Beko manufacturer and quote the model number.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would have nothing to do with the OP's fault in any way whatsoever. But at least your post was better than mackara's.

Aye, well I wasn't contradicting you, and I'm no white goods engineer. I was just posting the advice I was given at the time - I had exactly the same fault albeit with a combined unit.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We've had ours for about 8 years now :)
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've had ours for about 8 years now :)

People are always trying to knock Beko Daisy.:rolleyes:
    They conveniently forget that Bosch and Siemens (and another make which escapes me now, as it's late) have all had serious safety issues recently.

I know people like yourself who have had Beko appliances for years and never encountered a problem.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a strange thing to say.

I have a Beko (yankie style) and have had no problems with it for the five years that I've had it....However one of my neighbours has had a Samsung (yankie style) for two years and has had to have the engineer out three times.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member

I have a Beko fridge-freezer and a washing machine - no problems with either in four years.

Why such harsh advice?
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mackara has a good job and earns more than us, simples.

The more income you have the more...

:)
  • Options
    mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a Beko fridge-freezer and a washing machine - no problems with either in four years.

Why such harsh advice?

I had the misfortune to buy a Beko fridge/freezer, it broke down 3 times in the first year and was taken to the recycling yard after 16 months of use. I am glad I got rid of it as it was one of the auto defrost models that caught fire when defrosting. I would not recommend or praise a brand with such a poor track record for safety especially after they caused fires and killed people.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3834210/Fridge-kills-six-in-house-inferno.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2011322/Beko-fridge-freezer-recall-Bermondsey-tower-block-warning-half-million-families.html

from Beko

http://dryersafety.beko.co.uk/

http://refsafety.beko.co.uk/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    They conveniently forget that Bosch and Siemens (and another make which escapes me now, as it's late) have all had serious safety issues recently.

Indesit washing machine? They were on Watchdog 2 or 3 weeks ago. Basically the drum splits iirc and it shakes itself to oblivion and beyond (shooting the concrete weight through the top of the machine!). They had some on the programme that had decimated the kitchen and injured people. However, they still choose not to recall the affected model(s), despite the evidence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indesit washing machine? They were on Watchdog 2 or 3 weeks ago. Basically the drum splits iirc and it shakes itself to oblivion and beyond (shooting the concrete weight through the top of the machine!). They had some on the programme that had decimated the kitchen and injured people. However, they still choose not to recall the affected model(s), despite the evidence.

I believe you're right about the Indesit. That was shocking wasn't it?

There is definitely a snobbish element to people and what appliances they think are best. We all have a budget to stick to and if you can only afford something at the lower end then that's what you'll buy.

For years and years we had to watch the pennies but I am now much more comfortably off since kids have grown up etc and have a Miele and a Bosch washing machine (one for human stuff and one for horse/dog stuff). I do have a Beko fridge/freezer though.:)which we have never had any probs with and it must be about 5 years old now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »

I know people like yourself who have had Beko appliances for years and never encountered a problem.

I believe Schadenfraud actually works in the industry and so when they recommend appliances like bosch Siemens etc its based on his knowledge of repairing hundreds and hundreds of such appliances. I know he's not mentioned that in this thread, but he has in others and he's always met with the same old response of 'but I know so and so that's had hers for years' which can be very frustrating for him. So much so, that I can now see he has de-registered. Such a shame, the advice forum is overrun with trolls, any useful people are quick to de-register these days.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    I believe Schadenfraud actually works in the industry and so when they recommend appliances like bosch Siemens etc its based on his knowledge of repairing hundreds and hundreds of such appliances. I know he's not mentioned that in this thread, but he has in others and he's always met with the same old response of 'but I know so and so that's had hers for years' which can be very frustrating for him. So much so, that I can now see he has de-registered. Such a shame, the advice forum is overrun with trolls, any useful people are quick to de-register these days.:(

I work in "the industry" too.:)