Forum Member
    ariusuk wrote: »
    He got it wrong at full time though.

Yes, I noticed that. Bit strange.
  • Options
    Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    Argentina vs Holland Guy Mowbray and ?

Hopefully Lawro, if so means he will get the final as well.
  • Options
    SSReportersSSReporters Posts: 9,538
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Gary Lineker's only just realised what the score was :D. This has been a classic broadcast from the Beeb. We can safely say it wouldn't have been the same on ITV. Some corking lines. Only thing missing is Lawro :D.

BBC live text put "(seven)" next to "7". :D
  • Options
    madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They did on the graphic on the floor of the studio, too. :D
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Should've but "(sieben)" as well just to avoid any doubt :D.
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incredible match with an incredible commentary from Wilson. The 'Eins,Zwei,Drei,Vier,Thumped' line as people on here have said was brilliant.

I know it is easy to mock with hindsight but Hansen and Shearer both predicting a Brazil win beforehand doesn't look the wisest decision. :D

A game like that though must be a commentator's dream - broadcasting on as memorable a game as that.
  • Options
    irishmikeeirishmikee Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched the BBC commentary, glad I did, Steve Wilson was fantastic. He has been the best commentator I have listened to throughout the tournament.
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wilson and Keown are a good partnership and worked very well together tonight - no silly banter, just a mature grown-up commentary from the two of them.

Keown knows when to speak and never cuts across Wilson.
  • Options
    Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    Wilson and Keown are a good partnership and worked very well together tonight - no silly banter, just a mature grown-up commentary from the two of them.

Keown knows when to speak and never cuts across Wilson.

I assume Keown will be part of the commentary team for the 3rd place play of, I know its live on ITV, however surely BBC TV will pay some attention to it.
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He got it wrong at full time though.
    He also suggested the crowd were singing the pre-reunification version of the German national anthem.
    It's not even pre-unification. The first verse has apparently not been used since the war, but not officially banned until 1990.
  • Options
    mr williamsmr williams Posts: 1,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He also suggested the crowd were singing the pre-reunification version of the German national anthem.

He's apologised on twitter "if i upset anyone with my mistake on the German anthem".

His error was to call the German National Anthem "Deutschland Uber Alles" which (perhaps surprisingly to us) has never been its title (it's "Die Deutschlandlied").

As mentioned already, the lyrics of the first verse ("Uber Alles") were banned after WWII as it had been particularly associated with the Nazis and since 1950 the third verse has been played/sung at official functions.

However, if you ever listen to the crowd at a German home game you will hear many of the fans singing the original first verse lyrics!

I'd be a pity if that detracted from an otherwise excellent commentary on a stunning game.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite calling eight goals, Steve Wilson still hasn't seen the most live goals in this tournament, as Adam Keyte explains...
    https://twitter.com/etyek/status/486657718099652609/photo/1

Ignore me in the tweet he's replying to. I was saying it to Oscar.
  • Options
    neilwatsonneilwatson Posts: 31,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe Speight for Brazil v Germany on itv.com

Tim Vickery voiced the Alfredo DI Stefano obituary. I thought it was Dan Walker at first. I'll echo everyone else on Steve Wilson yesterday. I loved the eins, zwei, drei, Vier, thumped line too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    neilwatson wrote: »

Tim Vickery voiced the Alfredo DI Stefano obituary. I thought it was Dan Walker at first. I'll echo everyone else on Steve Wilson yesterday. I loved the eins, zwei, drei, Vier, thumped line too.

I'm in the minority then - I didn't think it was that great a commentary to be honest. I know the extraordinary circumstances could put anyone off their stride, but I felt there was the odd misnaming of a player/team, a lot of 'record' statistics shoved in (and I'm normally a fan of stats, but I thought they went a bit OTT), and the second half in particular was cliché-ridden. But then I suppose there are only so many things left to say when one team is hideously superior to the other...

Not a bad commentary per se, but I can't agree with it matching the heights of the action itself.

EDIT: Goal calls 2/3/4 were good, in fairness.
  • Options
    LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Despite calling eight goals, Steve Wilson still hasn't seen the most live goals in this tournament, as Adam Keyte explains...
    https://twitter.com/etyek/status/486657718099652609/photo/1

Ignore me in the tweet he's replying to. I was saying it to Oscar.

Was this just to plug your twitter... ;-):o:p
  • Options
    Meeko69Meeko69 Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Colin87 wrote: »
    I'm in the minority then - I didn't think it was that great a commentary to be honest. I know the extraordinary circumstances could put anyone off their stride, but I felt there was the odd misnaming of a player/team, a lot of 'record' statistics shoved in (and I'm normally a fan of stats, but I thought they went a bit OTT), and the second half in particular was cliché-ridden. But then I suppose there are only so many things left to say when one team is hideously superior to the other...

Not a bad commentary per se, but I can't agree with it matching the heights of the action itself.

EDIT: Goal calls 2/3/4 were good, in fairness.

I can't share the Wilson love-in either....he had Muller passing to Muller in the first half - and bigged up a save by Neuer early on that would have been a routine take for my gran.

Keown was excellent though.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not normally a fan of Keown at all, but thought he was very good last night.

Alan Shearer on the other hand....

"this German team have it in them to win it" at full time, having just seen them score 7. Even for him, that was particularly tediously uninsightful. He didn't sound like it was a jokey, sarcastic statement either.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,053
    Forum Member
    Does Alan Hansen still not rate the Germans?

Even last night he just seemed to be blaming the Brazilian defend which admittedly wasn't great.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,053
    Forum Member
    Roger Federer speaks better English than Rio Ferdinand.

Not saying much there.

Most overseas sportsmen and women seem to speak better English than their home counterparts!

Mind you I do think Ferdinand has been pretty good this tournament.
  • Options
    Gazza1982Gazza1982 Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neilwatson wrote: »

Presumably offtube?
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gazza1982 wrote: »
    Presumably offtube?

Have fun not watching the world cup semi final tonight :)
  • Options
    Ryan_Kerr1Ryan_Kerr1 Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Who was the person on this thread that said Sky would be releasing fixtures today. If they are what time
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Have fun not watching the world cup semi final tonight :)

:D

Hope it ends 5-5

Continued here: Football Commentators Thread (Part 17)
This discussion has been closed.