96.2 Touch FM (Coventry) What's going on??

mw1mw1 Posts: 3,453
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For the last 2 hours it's been playing Queen 'Bohemian Rapsody' on repeat...

On twitter it is saying hashtag seized whilst if you go on the website there's a countdown clock with something happening at 10am on Monday...

Is it a change by Quidem?? 96.2 as a standalone station again from networking?

Whatever is going on it's very strange.

Comments

• vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    Also at www.oakfm.co.uk.
  • mw1mw1 Posts: 3,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also there's a jingle saying 'new station at 10am Monday' if that's true then I'm surprised by Quidem's decision thought the old 'GWR' format was working well in coventry
  • Willowman24Willowman24 Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    They're all becoming JACK fm
  • radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mw1 wrote: »
    Also there's a jingle saying 'new station at 10am Monday' if that's true then I'm surprised by Quidem's decision thought the old 'GWR' format was working well in coventry

Figures say differently in Cov, still personally though i thought there format was pretty good. Love that you can tell GWR runs through this groups veins "This station has been seized" Exactly like what GWR did "This transmitter has been seized on behalf of the people of X"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So from what I gather Quidem have sold oak fm
    and 96.2 touch FM to Jack??

Wonder if this has been in the pipeline for a while...
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is this Jack thing true? Why couldn't they've used the voiceover man who does Jack to do the "This station is now seized' lines instead?
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So from what I gather Quidem have sold oak fm
    and 96.2 touch FM to Jack??

Wonder if this has been in the pipeline for a while...
    But normally station owners just franchise the Jack brand and features?
    From Radiotoday they had just in December recruited a new presenter from Capital/Trent?
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2013/12/twiggy-joins-oak-fm-to-co-host-breakfast/
    Former Trent and Capital East Midlands breakfast presenter Andy Twigge is joining Quidem’s Oak 107 & 107.9 to co-host breakfast.

Twiggy, as he’s more commonly known as, will be joining regular host Mark Rowley from Monday.

He spent over 10 years at Trent FM with Jo Russell for the long-running Jo and Twiggy in the Morning show, then was paired up with Emma Caldwell and later moved to drivetime.

Quidem’s Director of Operations Ben Day told RadioToday: “I’m really excited to welcome Twiggy to the Oak FM family. Twiggy has a proven track record of being an outstanding story teller and I’m confident that Oak FM’s listeners will love his warm humour in the mornings.

“This is an important step in our mission to make Oak FM the choice for listeners ‘round here. We have some great plans for 2014 and this is the first step.”
    A former dj and poster here thinks it may be an in house Jack copy format rather than franchising Jack? http://djjamesmartin.wordpress.com
  • dpbdpb Posts: 12,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is this Jack thing true? Why couldn't they've used the voiceover man who does Jack to do the "This station is now seized' lines instead?

I don't think you can draw anything from Paul Darrow not being used. A stunt does not always indicate what would follow - I'm sure Q102 in Dublin haven't played The Muppets since their stunt a few years ago.

It'll be some extra excitement on Monday morning anyway!
  • wilts_ianwilts_ian Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is certainly reminiscent of the launch of Jack Bristol ... Original 106.5 as it was before the rebrand was seized by a 'reporter from a local newspaper' who took over the station for two days, later referred to as him 'hiJACKing' the station ...

http://www.goramandvincent.com/work/case-study/getting-jackd1

This could possibly be a hiJACK ?

Recruitment of a new breakfast presenter certainly fits the Jack brand - has any recent reference been made to new line-up/presenters for the rest of the day ?
  • MusicmasterproxMusicmasterprox Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wilts_ian wrote: »
    It is certainly reminiscent of the launch of Jack Bristol ... Original 106.5 as it was before the rebrand was seized by a 'reporter from a local newspaper' who took over the station for two days, later referred to as him 'hiJACKing' the station ...

http://www.goramandvincent.com/work/case-study/getting-jackd1

This could possibly be a hiJACK ?

Recruitment of a new breakfast presenter certainly fits the Jack brand - has any recent reference been made to new line-up/presenters for the rest of the day ?

Well it must've been a quick agreement, considering that BoB FM have just launched less than a month ago on the old Jack 106 frequency.
  • bringbackGalaxybringbackGalaxy Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe a relay of Gold? :D
  • MidZoneMidZone Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    It's not Jack.
  • wilts_ianwilts_ian Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it must've been a quick agreement, considering that BoB FM have just launched less than a month ago on the old Jack 106 frequency.

Don't forget that the Jack's have different franchise owners .. Quidem - if they are going down that route, would just licence the brand from OXIS Media. Hertford's decision to leave the brand was down to name exclusivity issues when they wanted to go onto DAB.

In theory I think, any radio group could sign up-to a licence whenever they saw fit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Midzone, if it's not Jack then what are quidem intending to do with the 96.2fm frequency??

A change of name, new sound?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see Steve Orchard going down the Jack FM route either, doesn't seem to be his style. I suppose we will know tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    Depends what deals were made I suppose. Interesting strategy though, if they do become Jack. The signs that they will become Jack are all looking to be obvious to me.

Now let's hope if that is the case that they do us all a huge favour and kill off the rest of the 'Touch' brand and maybe Banbury Sound will be replaced by Jack Oxfordshire on 107.6 (which currently lacks a Banbury transmitter as Ofcom won't allow it!)
  • gardensleepergardensleeper Posts: 1,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure I follow the logic of playing Bo-rap on constant loop.

If I worked in an office, shop etc or was on a long car journey, i'd have switched stations by the third time it'd come around.

If they're trying to clear out their entire audience and start from absolute zero, this seems like a pretty good way to go about it.

Talk about handing over your audience to a rival on a plate...
  • Les WiresLes Wires Posts: 6,610
    Forum Member
    Not sure I follow the logic of playing Bo-rap on constant loop.

If I worked in an office, shop etc or was on a long car journey, i'd have switched stations by the third time it'd come around.

If they're trying to clear out their entire audience and start from absolute zero, this seems like a pretty good way to go about it.

Talk about handing over your audience to a rival on a plate...
    I was thinking exactly the same.
    Most of their listeners will have tuned elsewhere yesterday, and some might prefer the alternative and never return.

A very odd decision.
    Forum Member
    I repeat It's not Jack.

Remember when we were talking about the New BRMB, the New Beacon FM, the New Severn Sound? Wasn't Steve Orchard behind that? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's basically a relaunch of the 96.2 fm frequency with the same name e.g. The new touch fm??
    Forum Member
    So it's basically a relaunch of the 96.2 fm frequency with the same name e.g. The new touch fm??

I'm just guessing based on past launches by Gcap,GWR etc. Listening to some audio online from the Severn Sound relaunch over the weekend this talked about a station being 'seized' so it seemed very familiar.

I would expect a change in music maybe something more male orientated as each market is surrounded by female friendly type stations. Who knows just a guess and gut feeling. Not long to wait.

http://www.aircheckdownloads.com/severnsound_GWRTakeover_0995.mp3
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hits from the 60s, 70s and 80s?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Times up. Still playing Queen.
  • vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,358
    Forum Member
    The new OAK FM!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new 96.2 touch fm :-) just as I guessed and what a brilliant intro, 1st song Manic Street Preachers Motorcycle Emptiness