sky sports 5

RaymondthebestRaymondthebest Posts: 67
Forum Member
Sky sports 5 is currently testing or broadcasting off EPG label 1303 channel upgrade screen with subtitles for sky 2

Comments

• Dansky+HDDansky+HD Posts: 9,806
    Forum Member
    Sky sports 5 is currently testing or broadcasting off EPG label 1303 channel upgrade screen with subtitles for sky 2

An extremely welcome addition to the channel portfolio for Sky.

It's about time and is very well needed, although many people have disagreed with this in the past.

Hopefully this will launch soon.
  • mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    What a waste of transponder space. Rebranding SSF1 would've done.
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    What a waste of transponder space. Rebranding SSF1 would've done.

I do agree, the quality of the picture won't be so good.
    Ian.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    An extremely welcome addition to the channel portfolio for Sky.

It's about time and is very well needed, although many people have disagreed with this in the past.

Hopefully this will launch soon.

Soon changed your tune.
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    Soon changed your tune.

I have always said we need this so my tune has stayed exactly the same!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dansky+HD wrote: »
    I have always said we need this so my tune has stayed exactly the same!!!

No I mean how you've been furious at Sky for such a long time cause they "don't give us what we want and do things then tell us we need them"

Now you love Sky for such a wise decision.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    No I mean how you've been furious at Sky for such a long time cause they "don't give us what we want and do things then tell us we need them"

Now you love Sky for such a wise decision.

Where in his post does he say he now loves Sky?

He clearly states that the channel is a welcome addition (which he would, he has been asking for it for long enough), but i can' see where he has changed his stance on his thoughts about Sky.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,946
    Forum Member
    Any idea when it is actually launching? I've seen nothing about this channel beyond jimbo's indication the the test will be Sky Sports 5. Is there a comparable HD test anywhere for Sky Sports 5 HD?
  • KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Any idea when it is actually launching? I've seen nothing about this channel beyond jimbo's indication the the test will be Sky Sports 5. Is there a comparable HD test anywhere for Sky Sports 5 HD?

There isn't any confirmation or info, for all we know the label might be a mistake.
  • mackersdublinmackersdublin Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumedly Sky Sports News & F1 will have to move from 405 & 406
  • ste_leonardste_leonard Posts: 681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky Sports 5

Sky Sports 5 is your new home of European football. You will be able to see UEFA Champions League, Spanish La Liga, Dutch Eredivisie, National Eurpean qualifiers and more. This channel is part of your Sky Sports Pakage. All you need to do is activate it

Source Pressing red on S1test
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was that thread on here discussing some wording in Virgin adverts small print saying that Sky America would not be available on Virgin. With no such channel being known about.

Could Sky Sports 5 be a Sky Sports America channel maybe?
  • RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky Sports 5

Sky Sports 5 is your new home of European football. You will be able to see UEFA Champions League, Spanish La Liga, Dutch Eredivisie, National Eurpean qualifiers and more. This channel is part of your Sky Sports Pakage. All you need to do is activate it

Source Pressing red on S1test

Rights to every qualifier from september, I believe (approx 400 games?). Eredivisie - good to see back - wonder what sort of coverage: would love to see regular 11am games on Sunday. La Liga - more games eventually (almost all avoid Sat 3pm if last season's scheduling continues). Or will BT wrestle La Liga from Sky's grasp - although they have their hands full already with min. 3 Euro leagues?!)?
    Forum Member
    Anyone have the full instructions on how to tune this in

Sky Add Channels

Frequency (GHz) -
    Polarisation -
    Symbol Rate (Mbaud) -
    FEC -
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    The details are all here on the weekly news thread!
    :)
  • THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    RobSmithS wrote: »
    Rights to every qualifier from september, I believe (approx 400 games?). Eredivisie - good to see back - wonder what sort of coverage: would love to see regular 11am games on Sunday. La Liga - more games eventually (almost all avoid Sat 3pm if last season's scheduling continues). Or will BT wrestle La Liga from Sky's grasp - although they have their hands full already with min. 3 Euro leagues?!)?

As I've said in another thread, Sky lose the rights to the Champions League after the 2014-2015 football season. And of the course the Spanish Football will be up for grabs. So what will Sky Sports programs look like on a Tuesday and Wednesday night from the 2015-2016 football season?
    Ian.
  • RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumedly Sky Sports News & F1 will have to move from 405 & 406

They could shuffle down. For example SS 1-5 would be 401-5 with SS News 406 and SS F1 407 (with SS 3 SD/HD 409 moved further down perhaps towards SS 4 SD/HD which is at 435 which is HD/SD depending whether you have HD or not).

But can we rule out Sky Sports 5 being a rebranding of the red button service/Sky Sports Xtra service? It's a possibility, surely?

The way that it currently loops through on the test/glitch to the info about the channel makes me think that the EPG could stay the same - with SS 5 being an "interactive" service activated via the red button is a possibility. Potentially you would just "activate" Sky Sports 5 by pressing the red button and it wouldn't appear on the EPG as a channel (as with their red button content currently).

Online, Sky Sports Xtra found by clicking "channels" here could just be moved up and called Sky Sports 5 http://www1.skysports.com/watch/sport-on-sky That would continue to show one stream of "SS 5" content whereas via the Sky box there could be the match choice option like what you commonly get currently. Or does the fact that it is a test channel on its own currently rule all that out?
  • eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sky News are now showing an "Activate Sky Sports 5" logo in the top right hand corner. When you press red to activate it an error message occurs however.
    Forum Member
    RobSmithS wrote: »
    They could shuffle down. For example SS 1-5 would be 401-5 with SS News 406 and SS F1 407 (with SS 3 SD/HD 409 moved further down perhaps towards SS 4 SD/HD which is at 435 which is HD/SD depending whether you have HD or not).

But can we rule out Sky Sports 5 being a rebranding of the red button service/Sky Sports Xtra service? It's a possibility, surely?

The way that it currently loops through on the test/glitch to the info about the channel makes me think that the EPG could stay the same - with SS 5 being an "interactive" service activated via the red button is a possibility. Potentially you would just "activate" Sky Sports 5 by pressing the red button and it wouldn't appear on the EPG as a channel (as with their red button content currently).

Online, Sky Sports Xtra found by clicking "channels" here could just be moved up and called Sky Sports 5 http://www1.skysports.com/watch/sport-on-sky That would continue to show one stream of "SS 5" content whereas via the Sky box there could be the match choice option like what you commonly get currently. Or does the fact that it is a test channel on its own currently rule all that out?

A full time channel on the EPG at 405 is the obvious and best option.

More content and less SD crappy quality behind red button.

I'm sure sky will say something at some point......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eljmayes wrote: »
    Sky News are now showing an "Activate Sky Sports 5" logo in the top right hand corner. When you press red to activate it an error message occurs however.

Cant seem to replicate that here
  • gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    It's gone now, but I also saw it on Sky News- appeared top right as "Activate Sky Sports 5" and also bottom right as "Activate SS5".
  • Digi ManDigi Man Posts: 18,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gs1 wrote: »
    It's gone now, but I also saw it on Sky News- appeared top right as "Activate Sky Sports 5" and also bottom right as "Activate SS5".
    Is the "Activate" option on Sky News only appearing on HD boxes, didn't appear on my SD box when tuned to Sky News, can anyone confirm this?
  • gs1gs1 Posts: 8,392
    Forum Member
    It only appeared for a short time (half hour or so), perhaps in error during testing?

I saw it on an HD box, so can't answer your question re SD boxes, Digi Man.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    I think someone at Sky has let the cat out the bag completely as these were on Sky News earlier today.

Activate Sky Sports 5

Activate SS5
  • tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope they put sky sports xtra programmes on there