Options

Adele to play Dusty Springfield in an upcoming biopic?

Comments

• Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather it be an unknown actress if it does happen.

Adele won't be involved. If you read the thing carefully you'll see it for classic DailyMail i.e. there's nowt there. The whole project sounds like it'll never happen let alone with Adele.

Here's Adele on her acting ambitions

“I did my acting debut on Ugly Betty,” she says, “and I cannot watch it. I play myself, but I was so sort of uncomfortable that I sound like an American putting on an English accent. I sound like Dick Van Dyke. I am the worst actress of all time. I’m like a ****ing cardboard box! I’m awful. No, I have absolutely no intention of going into acting or making perfumes. I am a singer. I will stick to what I am good at and not spread myself thin and become mediocre at everything I do.”

it'd be quite a turnaround to go from that to the starring role in a biopic:D
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adele isn't fit to clean Dusty's boots. Hopefully she has the restraint to keep her spinster-baiting self-obsessed sophomoric whining well away from her superiors. Also Dusty didn't look like a gormless single mum from Croydon on an all-Greggs diet, so the physical resemblance would be almost as tenuous as the vocal.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    There are about five Dusty scripts knocking about Hollywood and in the UK with everyone from Kristin Chenoweth to Nicole Kidman said to be attached. This Adele one is not any of them and smacks more of lazy journalism than feature-film news.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    How interesting would a biopic of Dusty be anyway?

(I've just mistakenly Googled for Dusty Springsteen - oops, brain fade!)
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How interesting would a biopic of Dusty be anyway?

(I've just mistakenly Googled for Dusty Springsteen - oops, brain fade!)

Given her lesbian affairs, abusive relationship and tendency for self-harm, it would probably be an overwrought and melodramatic load of crap.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    and then they're subsequently promoted as oscar winning actress or actor on film related media. while i am personally no fan of the daily mail and often question their integrity as a publication, in fact, i did so in that very post. however, i do think the oscar mention was somewhat relevant to the article and it wasn't particularly worded misleadingly in my honest opinion.

They'd probably be promoted as an Oscar winning singer/actress. Still people associate Oscars with acting, so putting singer only doesn't change anything. If I had no knowledge of Adele I could assume she'd won the Oscar for acting, as for example Jennifer Hudson is mainly a singer but she won an Oscar for acting. Adele actually won the Oscar for song writing anyway, rather than actually singing the song.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    They'd probably be promoted as an Oscar winning singer/actress. Still people associate Oscars with acting, so putting singer only doesn't change anything. If I had no knowledge of Adele I could assume she'd won the Oscar for acting, as for example Jennifer Hudson is mainly a singer but she won an Oscar for acting. Adele actually won the Oscar for song writing anyway, rather than actually singing the song.

you clearly do have that knowledge though, which makes the point even more incredibly petty. also, i don't need an example of singer turned actor and i am well aware of the criteria for which adele won her oscar.;)
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Adele isn't fit to clean Dusty's boots. Hopefully she has the restraint to keep her spinster-baiting self-obsessed sophomoric whining well away from her superiors. Also Dusty didn't look like a gormless single mum from Croydon on an all-Greggs diet, so the physical resemblance would be almost as tenuous as the vocal.

Wow...
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You really think that? :confused:
    http://abcnewsradioonline.com/storage/music-news-images/Getty_092713_AdeleDustySpringfield.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1380322022548 Adele looks a lot like Dusty.
    And this role would be a perfect excuse for Adele to lose 3 stones.

Also, I can't imagine any other young British artist whose voice is more alike Dusty's than Adele's.

Yep, I really think that.
    The only similarity between those photos is the amount of mascara they've both indulged in.

The thinnest of reasons is keeping this vanity project together. Basically, both white,British women with audiences that think they both have 'the blackness' in their vocal chords - ie:soul.

Its an insult to Dusty.

Adele's ok & I appreciate she does write her own material but she IS NOT in Dustys league.

And the timbre of their voices is worlds apart.

Put on 'Dusty In Memphis', kick back to one of the greatest lps of all time, and tell me...

WHERES THE SIMILARITY...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mr muggles wrote: »
    The only similarity between those photos is the amount of mascara they've both indulged in.

The thinnest of reasons is keeping this vanity project together. Basically, both white,British women with audiences that think they both have 'the blackness' in their vocal chords - ie:soul.

Its an insult to Dusty.

Adele's ok & I appreciate she does write her own material but she IS NOT in Dustys league.

Put on 'Dusty In Memphis', kick back to one of the greatest lps of all time, and tell me...

though it is her only good album. Mostly she sang the wrong material (pop) as did Tom Jones, and wrote none of it, so i'm not sure what all this different league stuff is all about.

however that apart, the idea that you have to have the same singing voice as a person you're playing in a biopic is plain daft, did Andy Serkis sound exactly like Ian Dury or whatsisface sound like Jim Morrison - you can use sound shenanigans. A biopic (the least credible form of film making) is a story like any other film and there's usually little singing involved. That would be a concert not a movie;)

And, as i keep saying but nobody listens, it won't happen. Learn to interpret news stories before you bore with your opinions. Thanks:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thing about that album is that it was written by great songwriters whereas Adele has the likes of... Ryan bloody Tedder :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its an insult to Dusty.

did you particularly think meryl streep had a similar look to margaret thatcher prior to "the iron lady" or did you think helen mirren resembled the queen in any way prior to her taking on the role? essentially what made those roles believable was a combination of make-up, great acting with the actors emulating recognisable mannerisms and not similarities between the actor and the role.

the poster you quoted never suggested their voices were "similar", only that they couldn't think of anyone anyone else "alike" and you mentioned yourself that they broadly recorded music in the same genre. the article is probably a load of rubbish anyway considering the source and adele's personal views on her own acting abilities, which have been posted here. however, it seems people are still entertaining the idea and are assuming she will be providing her own vocals, when there is nothing in the article to suggest that is likely.:confused:
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    though it is her only good album.Mostly she sang the wrong material (pop) as did Tom Jones, and wrote none of it, so i'm not sure what all this different league stuff is all about.
    Dusty's forte was as an interpreter of songs by others.She lived in an era where female vocalists (and most male ones) did albums of pop covers, ballads and tamla-motown covers .which she liked to indulge in. Albums then were purely a promotion exercise and didn't assume artistic importance until the late 60s. That's how things worked back then. In the UK, only the Beatles and Stones wrote their own hits and album material, and even they did covers in their earlier periods.

Dusty was internationally recognised as the first white female vocalist to adopt a 'black style' of' singing. Indeed Jerry Wexler who produced 'Dusty In Memphis' but had only heard her work prior to meeting her had always assumed she was black.

As far as her singles were concerned she never sang the 'wrong material' and there were plenty of classics amongst them.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Don't fall for it, peeps. I've seen the usual trolls inhabit threads regarding Lana Del Rey 'not being fit to lace the boots of Nancy Sinatra' blah blah blah when, like Dusty, she never actually wrote a song song in her life. Both Lana and Adele, no matter what you personally think of them, are both way more talented than Dusty and Nancy on account of them being very much involved in the song-writing process. It's one thing interpreting an already written song but, my God, it's altogether a way more daunting prospect staring at a blank piece of paper then actually concocting a song from scratch (the trolls really should try it sometime and post the results on here).

Having said all that, I totally agree with my name is joe, this aint going to happen so time for haters to stop gnashing their dentures at the prospect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    Don't fall for it, peeps. I've seen the usual trolls inhabit threads regarding Lana Del Rey 'not being fit to lace the boots of Nancy Sinatra' blah blah blah when, like Dusty, she never actually wrote a song song in her life. Both Lana and Adele, no matter what you personally think of them, are both way more talented than Dusty and Nancy on account of them being very much involved in the song-writing process. It's one thing interpreting an already written song but, my God, it's altogether a way more daunting prospect staring at a blank piece of paper then actually concocting a song from scratch (the trolls really should try it sometime and post the results on here).

i'm with you. What it is is the usual someone is dead and gone so they must be better than someone who is operating in the here and now. It's boring predictable and lazy. As it happens i like Dusty's voice but she is not in a different league to Adele she's merely in a different era. The amount of shit Adele has got merely for occasionally having songwriting partners is swept away for Dusty because oh yeah her talent was for 'interpretation' which is obviously an all encompassing talent that dwarfs any other;). The hypocrisy is stunning.
    Smudged wrote: »
    Thing about that album is that it was written by great songwriters whereas Adele has the likes of... Ryan bloody Tedder :rolleyes:.

that's the kind of opinion i mean. Songwriters of the past must be better than those of today of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't fall for it, peeps. I've seen the usual trolls inhabit threads regarding Lana Del Rey 'not being fit to lace the boots of Nancy Sinatra' blah blah blah when, like Dusty, she never actually wrote a song song in her life. Both Lana and Adele, no matter what you personally think of them, are both way more talented than Dusty and Nancy on account of them being very much involved in the song-writing process. .
    Some people would argue they'd be better off with better material from better songwriters ;)
    that's the kind of opinion i mean. Songwriters of the past must be better than those of today of course.
    Did I say that? But if you think the likes of Ryan Tedder are in the same league as songwriters like Gerry Goffin/Carole King, Randy Newman, Burt Bacharach/Hal David etc. then I'd say you're in a very small minority :D.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually Dusty did write a song in her life. She wrote some in her later albums. Regardless of whether she wrote songs, does it mean she should be looked down upon as an artist and should her legacy be tarnished. Hell no. She was a fantastic vocalist and remains one of the best British females we have ever produced.

People shouldn't look down on people who don't write their own songs, because it was the likes of Dusty whose songs she sung that allowed her songwriters to become successful and allow other artists to work with them. Dusty would always credit her songwriters and never claim they were her own. The woman knew what she liked to sing and who to work with.

Can i say that Judy Garland never wrote any of her songs, but still remains one of the most beloved film stars and vocalists of all time. Barbra Streisand has perhaps written about 10 per cent of her whole entire back catalogue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some people would argue they'd be better off with better material from better songwriters ;)
    s
    It's just a matter of opinion, I guess. And we do tend to disagree on such matters. ;)

Did I say that? But if you think the likes of Ryan Tedder are in the same league as songwriters like Gerry Goffin/Carole King, Randy Newman, Burt Bacharach/Hal David etc. then I'd say you're in a very small minority :D.

It's actually all about perspective, i guess. There may be posters like yourself on here in 30 years time saying things like 'But if you think such and such (insert big songwriters of the day) are in the same league as songwriters like Ryan Tedder, Paul Epworth, Rick Nowells, Eg White etc then I'd say you're in a very small minority'. Why is it that to some people older is always better? It's just a weird POV when you consider the advances that the human race has made in just about all avenues compared to the past. Nostalgic rose tinted specs?

PS Plus Dusty was very mainstream in her heyday so I'm not convinced you would have been that enamoured at the time...:p And I'm convinced you wouldn't have been keen on the fact she didn't even CO-WRITE her songs but hey ho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually all about perspective, i guess. There may be posters like yourself on here in 30 years time saying things like 'But if you think such and such (insert big songwriters of the day) are in the same league as songwriters like Ryan Tedder, Paul Epworth, Rick Nowells, Eg White etc then I'd say you're in a very small minority'. Why is it that to some people older is always better? It's just a weird POV when you consider the advances that the human race has made in just about all avenues compared to the past. Nostalgic rose tinted specs?

PS Plus Dusty was very mainstream in her heyday so I'm not convinced you would have been that enamoured at the time...:p And I'm convinced you wouldn't have been keen on the fact she didn't even CO-WRITE her songs but hey ho.
    Please don't try to twist things as usual :). There are great songwriters around today, I never said otherwise. It's just that Ryan Tedder isn't one of them :D. And I think the discussion comparing Dusty with Adele was clearly about vocals so to bring up songwriting seems a little desperate to me (especially when the artists in question have many co-writers themselves).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please don't try to twist things as usual :). There are great songwriters around today, I never said otherwise. It's just that Ryan Tedder isn't one of them :D. And I think the discussion comparing Dusty with Adele was clearly about vocals so to bring up songwriting seems a little desperate to me (especially when the artists in question have many co-writers themselves).

it may have stated off that way but it quickly encompassed prejudices against single-mums, the citizens of Croydon:D, and the over-use of mascara. If they can be compared on those grounds it seems reasonable to throw in something relevant like songwriting;)
  • Options
    Forum Member

Talking of twisting things. Blimey. :D (Clue: I was responding to your post about Dusty's 'songwriters' :))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of twisting things. Blimey. :D (Clue: I was responding to your post about Dusty's 'songwriters' :))
    True, I mentioned songwriters to explain the other reason that Dusty album is considered "great" but it hardly negates her vocals. Whichever way you want to spin it the point remains that great vocals + great songwriting is better than good vocals + average songwriting :D.
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    you clearly do have that knowledge though, which makes the point even more incredibly petty. also, i don't need an example of singer turned actor and i am well aware of the criteria for which adele won her oscar.;)

I'm not talking about my knowledge though. It's the way it's written. I was just stating my opinion that I didn't like it. And yes maybe I was a bit too petty and defensive but it takes two to tango...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    True, I mentioned songwriters to explain the other reason that Dusty album is considered "great" but it hardly negates her vocals. Whichever way you want to spin it the point remains that great vocals + great songwriting is better than good vocals + average songwriting :D.

Meaning Dusty is even better than Laura Marling? :eek::D
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the poster who said that Adele is not in the same league as Dusty Springfield.

So Adele writes her own songs and Dusty didn't. Big deal! All it means is that Adele has an extra string to her bow than Dusty, not that she's a greater artist than Dusty, because she just isn't.

Adele is a good singer, Dusty was a great singer.

Adele is a good songwriter, but those who wrote for Dusty (Bacharach and David, Goffin and King etc.) were great songwriters.

The whole "a singer who writes their own material is superior to a singer who doesn't write their own material" point of view greatly annoys me. Dusty, not to mention Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and many other legendary singers didn't write their own material, but to relegate them to artists who have no credibility because of this is beyond ridiculous.