• Options
    ArtfulDodger81ArtfulDodger81 Posts: 965
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The VRSE website has now removed all mention of Occulus (coming soon) , Playstation April 2016), Vive (Summer 2016) and Apple (Summer 2016) from their supported platforms. Looks like it was a mistake on their part. Possibly the page was in development and the dates were just estimates based upon earlier plans,

I'm saying unlikely. Although I would love to be proved wrong. :)
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony have already got quite a bit going on in April, mainly Uncharted 4 and Ratchet & Clank. May is looking a little quiet, could be a good time for some promotional work ready for June, which coincides with the release of ARK Survival Evolved which is VR ready, and of course, the VR- rumored-but-not-confirmed No Man's Sky.
  • Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    April would be pretty awesome ....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...although we now have this from Gamestop CEO 'We will launch the Sony product this Fall'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...although we now have this from Gamestop CEO 'We will launch the Sony product this Fall'

Sony said a month ago that it will still lunch in the first half of 2016 so Ill take their word over someone elses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The next big Gaming Conference is GDC for them to make an announcement, although I cant see GDC being the place to announce price date etc, we're running out of days in the first half of they year.

I've recently decided that it will be a day 1 purchase for me and hoping an announcement will come to keep up that level of hype I have built up in my head.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The next big Gaming Conference is GDC for them to make an announcement, although I cant see GDC being the place to announce price date etc, we're running out of days in the first half of they year.

I've recently decided that it will be a day 1 purchase for me and hoping an announcement will come to keep up that level of hype I have built up in my head.

Well theres four and a half months left in the first half of this year so theres loads of time yet to announce and release it.
  • Options
    ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Sony said a month ago that it will still lunch in the first half of 2016 so Ill take their word over someone elses.

That was a month ago. Things change.

I'm not placing bets either way, the only thing I presume is that it will have a very quick roll-out - I presume it will be announced at a conference with immediate pre-orders and shipping within a couple of weeks. That seems to be the way to launch hardware these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UPDATE: In response to this story, a Sony representative told VideoGamer.com that "the launch date [for PlayStation VR] will be announced in due course. We have nothing more to comment on at this time."

Not a denial, then. If it was not true I would have expected a "our launch plans have not changed" statement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oopsie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ok so I was looking through all the PSVR games that are announced and have trailers and have decided to catagorise them into definite buys, intrigued by and then ones Im not bother by.

I was using this list for reference. Its a couple of months old but it'll do.
    http://ps4daily.com/2015/11/confirmed-playstation-vr-games/

Definite Buys:

ARK: Survival Evolved
    Crystal Rift
    Driveclub (already own it)
    EVE: Valkryie
    Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward
    Gran Turismo Sport
    The London Heist
    Robinson The Journey
    Tekken 7
    Trackmania Turbo
    War Thunder (free)

Intrigued By:

Adr1ft
    Among The Sleep
    The Assembly
    Dead or Alive Extreme 3
    Godling
    Headmaster
    Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes
    Megaton Rainfall
    MIND: Path to Thalamus
    Q.U.B.E.
    RIGS Mechanised Combat
    World War Toons

So thats my list. What do you guys think ? Is there anything Im missing off it ?

And when I say definite buys, I mean its games that Id definitely like to buy !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ace Combat 7.

I know you've already got EVE Valkyrie and War Thunder there, but I think this could be epic.

And Sony are now saying GameStop CEO was just "speculating". But still haven't said anything to clarify a launch window.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised 'Kitchen' isn't on that list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised 'Kitchen' isn't on that list.

Has Kitchen ever been confirmed as a full game? I only recall it being shown as a tech demo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has Kitchen ever been confirmed as a full game? I only recall it being shown as a tech demo.

I'm hoping it will be, I missed out on playing it at EGX but people who have played it are saying how it felt like a true horror movie experience. I just expected it to be announced as a game
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GameStop have now commented on their CEO's comments, conceeding.....

"To clarify, Sony has not officially announced a release date for PlayStation VR. Whenever it launches, we are excited about how the technology will change gaming.”

Could be PR spin just to placate an annoyed Sony. Or perhaps he was wrong in the first place.
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,682
    Forum Member
    That sounds like damage control to me.

Anyway, Autumn 2016 sounds right, I mean any sooner and we'd have known the release date by this point, any later and they'd be letting Oculus and Vive beat them to the punch, so I don't really see why anyone would be surprised or shocked by this.

As for games, I think VR will lend itself most to racing games and stuff like Ace Combat, I don't really see how it would benefit fighting games like Tekken in any way whatsoever.

Although, I must admit, I am shamelessly excited to play 100 Ft Robot Golf :D
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah shame I was hoping 'Headmaster' would be similar to 'Bully' or the old Speccy 'Skool Daze' game, where you have to go around a school avoiding the headmaster while doing tasks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds like damage control to me.

Anyway, Autumn 2016 sounds right, I mean any sooner and we'd have known the release date by this point, any later and they'd be letting Oculus and Vive beat them to the punch, so I don't really see why anyone would be surprised or shocked by this.

As for games, I think VR will lend itself most to racing games and stuff like Ace Combat, I don't really see how it would benefit fighting games like Tekken in any way whatsoever.

Although, I must admit, I am shamelessly excited to play 100 Ft Robot Golf :D

The continued lack of a release date does lend to the idea that it will arrive later in the year.

That being said, I think an earlier launch would make sense. PSVR is potentially a tough sell to anyone that doesn't already fully understand what it's about, especially with a potentially high price tag. Launching in the Autumn could see Christmas 2016 come and go without the wider PS community having the opportunity to get hands on with it and their head around it.

By launching earlier in the year, even if it's a low-key launch to enthusiasts and early adopters, it would create the opportunity for word to spread and people to try out a friends headset. It could be the Wii-effect all over again. Then, by the end of the year, it might well be the most-have accessory on every PS4 owners Christmas list.

Then again, what do I know. Sony pay people huge amounts of money to work this shit out.

In other news, picked up another Move controller in GAME today for £5.99 - even cheaper than CEX.
  • Options
    ShotDownInFlameShotDownInFlame Posts: 5,682
    Forum Member
    By launching earlier in the year, even if it's a low-key launch to enthusiasts and early adopters, it would create the opportunity for word to spread and people to try out a friends headset. It could be the Wii-effect all over again. Then, by the end of the year, it might well be the most-have accessory on every PS4 owners Christmas list..

I definitely don't think a "stealth" launch - particularly for something as massive and potentially game changing as this would be a smart move for Sony at all. I mean word of mouth was pretty much all the Vita had to go on and we all know how that ended up. So I definitely think PSVR will be out November in time for Christmas, it's just a matter of advertising the crap out of it and having as many "hands on" events at GAME or whatever between now and then to really sell it to the general consumer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I definitely don't think a "stealth" launch - particularly for something as massive and potentially game changing as this would be a smart move for Sony at all. I mean word of mouth was pretty much all the Vita had to go on and we all know how that ended up. So I definitely think PSVR will be out November in time for Christmas, it's just a matter of advertising the crap out of it and having as many "hands on" events at GAME or whatever between now and then to really sell it to the general consumer

But there would be nothing to stop Sony "advertising the crap out of it" between a Q2 launch and Christmas. They've already said that the biggest challenge they face is getting people to try it. What better (and cheaper) way to do that than letting the converted do that for them in our homes?
  • Options
    Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think an xmas launch, catch people when they are more willing to spend, grab as bigger user base as possible in as little time as possible, then let nature take its course.

Strike hard and fast in the cold of winter when people want indoor entertainment more and not planning and saving for summer get aways.

Just my pennies worth.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    According to a recent pole quite a lot of developers aren't interested in VR, think the figure was 66% or so. And only about 22% are actually developing for VR.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think an xmas launch, catch people when they are more willing to spend, grab as bigger user base as possible in as little time as possible, then let nature take its course.

Strike hard and fast in the cold of winter when people want indoor entertainment more and not planning and saving for summer get aways.

Just my pennies worth.

I think they will launch limited stock earlier, be out of stock everywhere (like the PS4 was), then release with huge stock just before xmas when demand is even higher maybe at an inflated price.