Options

media streamer options? ( PC to TV )

hi all,

does anyone have any recomendations for media boxes that stream computer content to TVs, pererably hardwired network rather than wireless.

ideally i'm after something that will play video, all usual flavors, xvid, divx etc, mp3, and Jpgs, and doesnt require a lot of work when new files are added to the computer.

an old housemate had a box, i believe it was a d-link or linksys, but this had a few flaws, the main one being that you had to manually show the box everytime you added a file in order for it to become available to watch. it was a first generation product so i'm hoping manufactures have worked out a way around that.

any one got any suggestions around the hundred pound mark?

many thanks,,
Pesh

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Why not use an old xbox and 'soft mod' this ??

It will playback all your requirements and it's easy enough to configure to share folders on your pc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you have the room you won't get anything to work better than an Xbox running Xbox Media Center - it really is very good indeed.

All the other alternatives are discussed here:

http://www.mpeg-playcenter.com/

There is no ideal solution as yet. Xbox best I tried (but a bit too big for my rack), so in loft, pensioned off. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    I can promise you, the only way to go is with a modded Xbox with Xbox mediacenter running. I have tried a number of media players (Pinnacle, D-link etc) and the Xbox beats them hands down on every front including useability, customisation etc. It can be a little difficult to set up, but once done it is brilliant. Go to ebay and get yourself a modded xbox now :D