Options

Do you consider the term 'throwing a paddy' to be a racist slur?

Comments

• Options
    ScottnoodleScottnoodle Posts: 1,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well chavs ARE a race of idiots.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hey_jude wrote: »
    But now that you know it is related to the Irish and their tendancy to brawl which is an offensive suggestion, will you stop using it?

No, probably not. Like I said, its original use is lost in the mists of time, and, as this thread shows, people either aren't aware of the phrase at all, or it has lost its offensive meaning.

When a thread has to be made to ask if its offensive and people, including irish people, aren't aware that it is, or isn't, then surely, it isn't any longer?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hancock wrote: »
    Did you post also here?

Great find!!!

It looks as though very few people on that forum are the slightest bit bothered by the phrase.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But now that you know it is related to the Irish and their tendency to brawl which is an offensive suggestion, will you stop using it?

Hang on a minute, there's no concrete evidence about that, just as there isn't with a number of phrases and words. Sometimes the origin really isn't clear at all I'm afraid.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My understanding was throwing a paddy was to do with baby's wearing Terrys,
    as in padded out, so being or behaving like a big baby.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingCanute wrote: »
    Hang on a minute, there's no concrete evidence about that, just as there isn't with a number of phrases and words. Sometimes the origin really isn't clear at all I'm afraid.

Exactly - and seeing as when I say it all I mean is "temper tantrum" I shall continue to use it.
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gadders wrote: »
    Exactly - and seeing as when I say it all I mean is "temper tantrum" I shall continue to use it.

Are you throwing one now?:)
  • Options
    GemofaBirdGemofaBird Posts: 1,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No there isn't but when I saw this

paddy2

• noun Brit. informal a fit of temper.

— ORIGIN from PADDY; associated with obsolete paddywhack Irishman given to brawling

I decided it was probably the most likely origin which is quite offensive so I personally would not use it anymore if I did in the first place and just wondered if others would do the same
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    I have always used the term Throwing a paddy when my children are having a screaming tantrum and have never even considered that it would upset anyone. It is a saying that has been used in my family for years.
    I won't be using it again as I now feel quite ashamed that is offensive to some people. :o
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am aware of the expression but have never heard anyone use it in real life, most certainly not in Ireland. I do find it rather distasteful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No there isn't but when I saw this

paddy2

• noun Brit. informal a fit of temper.

— ORIGIN from PADDY; associated with obsolete paddywhack Irishman given to brawling

I decided it was probably the most likely origin which is quite offensive so I personally would not use it anymore if I did in the first place and just wondered if others would do the same

What about this one then?

Noun 1. Paddy - (ethnic slur) offensive term for a person of Irish descent
    Mick, Mickey
    derogation, disparagement, depreciation - a communication that belittles somebody or something
    ethnic slur - a slur on someone's race or language
    Irishman - a man who is a native or inhabitant of Ireland
    2. paddy - an irrigated or flooded field where rice is grown
    paddy field, rice paddy
    field - a piece of land cleared of trees and usually enclosed; "he planted a field of wheat"
    3. paddy - rice in the husk either gathered or still in the field
    rice - grains used as food either unpolished or more often polished

How do you know that it isn't something to do with a paddy field? Are you going to stop using "paddy field" too?

It won't be long before someone suggests that the phrase "paddy field" is offensive for the same reason. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Are you throwing one now?:)

I tend to have one rather than throw one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about this one then?

Noun 1. Paddy - (ethnic slur) offensive term for a person of Irish descent
    Mick, Mickey
    derogation, disparagement, depreciation - a communication that belittles somebody or something
    ethnic slur - a slur on someone's race or language
    Irishman - a man who is a native or inhabitant of Ireland
    2. paddy - an irrigated or flooded field where rice is grown
    paddy field, rice paddy
    field - a piece of land cleared of trees and usually enclosed; "he planted a field of wheat"
    3. paddy - rice in the husk either gathered or still in the field
    rice - grains used as food either unpolished or more often polished

How do you know that it isn't something to do with a paddy field? Are you going to stop using "paddy field" too?

It won't be long before someone suggests that the phrase "paddy field" is offensive for the same reason. :rolleyes:

I did say most likely origin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did say most likely origin

Fair enough, you did, and of course you don't need to use the phrase if you don't want to, however, that doesn't mean that other people are somehow wrong if they choose to use it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough, you did, and of course you don't need to use the phrase if you don't want to, however, that doesn't mean that other people are somehow wrong if they choose to use it. :)

Can you show me where I said they were :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you show me where I said they were :confused:

You didn't explicitly say it, but you did infer it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    As a "paddy" i dont find it offensive it really depends on the context it is used.I relly think we are over PCed at the moment when you say anything you have to examine it to make sure you are not offending anyone in your hearing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You didn't explicitly say it, but you did infer it.

Aah to surmise what someone who you don't know is inferring just by a short piece of text! A forum minefield :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see your point, I just think calling Irish people paddys is offensive and outdated. I dont like it and maybe if you were being called that, you would feel the same.

I understand where you're coming from, but as far as I know 'to have a paddy' has little to do with the irish - Or so I thought. I use it if someones being overly angry/emotional, or if the horse I'm riding is a being a sod ("Oh, stop having a paddy!" calms them down nicely, lol.)

If it's offensive to you, then surely I can be incensed by having to put my nationality down as British, not English? I don't consider myself to be British, but English first and foremost as my family have lived here since before records began. Can I go kick off about that then?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aah to surmise what someone who you don't know is inferring just by a short piece of text! A forum minefield :)

True, but I think that it's a fair enough conclusion to reach.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True, but I think that it's a fair enough conclusion to reach.

Let me explain a little more, if I find a word or phrase I use actually causes offence to some people, I immediately drop it and would never use it again as I have done with loads of words over the years but I know that is probably a bit pedantic and was genuinely trying to gauge what other people do!

Upsywupsy didn't come to the conclusion that I was having a dig but answered my genuine question with a genuine answer, I don't know why you are making something out of nothing
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the term myself and find it offensive. Do you think its a racist slur? What are your views on it?

I dont see the need to call Irish people "Paddies" etc and find it really offensive.

Yes, it is. It's a colloquial expression used in England. Obviously it is based on traditional stereotypes common in England about Irish people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let me explain a little more, if I find a word or phrase I use actually causes offense to some people, I immediately drop it and would never use it again as I have done with loads of words over the years but I know that is probably a bit pedantic and was genuinely trying to gauge what other people do!

That's perfectly alright, but how can you do this yourself, whilst at the same time condone others who don't behave as you do, when you genuinely believe that it causes offence?
  • Options
    PamelaLPamelaL Posts: 67,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    Yes, it is. It's a colloquial expression used in England. Obviously it is based on traditional stereotypes common in England about Irish people.

Pardon my ignorance oulandy but what exactly is the stereotype? What does 'throwing a paddy' mean? I've not heard it a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PamelaL wrote: »
    Pardon my ignorance oulandy but what exactly is the stereotype? What does 'throwing a paddy' mean? I've not heard it a lot.

It means throwing a tantrum... I can only assume that the stereotype being referred to is that of irish people being a tad hot-tempered.

Tbh I hadn't really related the phrase 'having a paddy' to the Irish until this thread.