Options

Three 4G Rollout

Comments

• Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Ok so Three are going to launch their 4G services end of October or beginning of November. Marketing push for 4G will start early September for obvious reasons.

Vodafone will announce their September launch next week. (This week)
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    It's interesting about the apps. My signal box is great but does sometimes have issues if I'm downloading or uploading constantly. To be fair this isn't the signal box, it's the router but an app that works properly over WiFi would be good. I guess you would still get the same issues though.
    Oh well, at least mine was free.

Won't Three have to rename themselves Four and the Five later on? :)

They are not named Three because of being a 3G network. They launched on 3/3/3
  • Options
    daveyfsdaveyfs Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were the first 3G network, their USP and raison d'être being that they were (and are) predominantly 3G based. The launch date was a handy marketing gimmick.
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are not named Three because of being a 3G network.
    The company name is Hutchison 3G UK Ltd, they simply operate under the brand Three.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Would love to know more about this new roaming deal if anyone gets any info.

Biggest reason I have an EE sim is the roaming deal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dangetti wrote: »
    Would love to know more about this new roaming deal if anyone gets any info.

Biggest reason I have an EE sim is the roaming deal

Use your UK allowances when in certain countries.
  • Options
    YogimaxYogimax Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Use your UK allowances when in certain countries.

Which countries though? I am in Northern Ireland, but many of the places I go only have signal from the south - a different country!

Is southern Ireland one of the places that the 3 UK allowances would include?
  • Options
    denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As (the Republic of) Ireland has got a Three network too, I'd be really surprised if it wasn't included.
  • Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's intriguing as to what "we are not going to charge for 4G" actually means. Will Three for example offer 500MB of 4G for all customers on top of their usual tariff? That would change the game.

Will Three offer unlimited 4G? I'd say it's possible but it would likely be at the price point of above £30.
  • Options
    ash45ash45 Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    eljmayes wrote: »
    It's intriguing as to what "we are not going to charge for 4G" actually means. Will Three for example offer 500MB of 4G for all customers on top of their usual tariff? That would change the game.

Will Three offer unlimited 4G? I'd say it's possible but it would likely be at the price point of above £30.

Three have said all tariffs will stay the same for old and new so any package that has unlimited now will remain unlimited even on 4G, that said any of the cheaper sub £20pm are likely to be 3G only phones for a while yet anyway so yes you're looking 25-30+pm for 4G but if for example you bought a 4G phone out right and then bought a sim only for 12.90 a month

All-you-can-eat data
    200 minutes
    5000 texts

it would still be unlimited 4G at no extra cost

Ash
  • Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ash45 wrote: »
    Three have said all tariffs will stay the same for old and new so any package that has unlimited now will remain unlimited even on 4G, that said any of the cheaper sub £20pm are likely to be 3G only phones for a while yet anyway so yes you're looking 25-30+pm for 4G but if for example you bought a 4G phone out right and then bought a sim only for 12.90 a month

All-you-can-eat data
    200 minutes
    5000 texts

it would still be unlimited 4G at no extra cost

Ash
    Thanks. Not sure how the other networks counter this offer if it does come to fruition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    eljmayes wrote: »
    Thanks. Not sure how the other networks counter this offer if it does come to fruition.

i dont think other networks care too much TBF i mean if you look at three now, unlimited 3G even on cheap packages which is already very fast most of the time here's is a speedtest of my current 3G when i tried 4GEE it never went past 14 down and 8 up (ill give EE the hand on the upload)

the most other networks currently offer is 1-2gig max on contract except t-mobile but then its limited to 4meg max and virgin but that has a FUP of about 3 gig

4GEE i think max is 8gig but for a high cost

so even with these limits people will still go on those networks because of it been a preferred brand so hence them not been too worried although obviously only time will tell the real effect threes unlimited 4g will have

take in mind three are taking a bit of a back seat on 4G and will be the last to launch as they feel their DC network can compete while they role 4G out at their pace :)

i cant wait personally been on the one plan unlimited 4G tethering is something i will be looking forward to

Ash
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    ash45 wrote: »
    take in mind three are taking a bit of a back seat on 4G and will be the last to launch as they feel their DC network can compete while they role 4G out at their pace :)

i cant wait personally been on the one plan unlimited 4G tethering is something i will be looking forward to

Ash

This chimes in with what quite a few people are saying about 4G and why they're not bothered about switching - because what they currently have is "good enough".

My wife has just changed from Vodafone to Three to get unlimited data (and because of the constantly dropped calls), and I shall be doing so in the next few weeks as well. 4G is definitely something I'm looking forward to as well, but I won't be in a massive hurry for it as Three's Ultrafast network will be plenty "good enough" until it comes along.

Maybe once I use 4G regularly, I'll wonder how on earth I managed with 3G - but I'll be perfectly content until that time comes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    McTeagle wrote: »
    This chimes in with what quite a few people are saying about 4G and why they're not bothered about switching - because what they currently have is "good enough".

My wife has just changed from Vodafone to Three to get unlimited data (and because of the constantly dropped calls), and I shall be doing so in the next few weeks as well. 4G is definitely something I'm looking forward to as well, but I won't be in a massive hurry for it as Three's Ultrafast network will be plenty "good enough" until it comes along.

Maybe once I use 4G regularly, I'll wonder how on earth I managed with 3G - but I'll be perfectly content until that time comes.

yes i know what you mean when 3G first come out people was all like what will i need that for andn ow they all moan about it been too slow (well any one whos not on three anyway lol)

and your right although i cant wait for 4G im in no rush i did try EE for a month and was not blown away as i said it was slower than my three's 3G lol but ive got all faith that three will show the other networks how 4G is done when they do get around to rolling it out

I keep trying to get my mum to switch to three but she's only on PAYG and happy with her 300 texts and 500Meg of net free with her tenner top up lol, she only uses her smart phone for candy crush and FB so not too much data usage, But i get 5000 3to3 mins as part of my contract so for me it would be nice to use them instead of my other mins to ring her but shes having none of it lol

Ash
  • Options
    Skippy2005Skippy2005 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    I really can't see why there primary focus would be 800MHz as they only have 2x5MHz of it. When in September they will have 2x10MHz of 1800MHz. The speeds on 800MHz will certainly be much lower actually not much higher than DC-HSDPA. Plus there current masts aren't set up for 800MHz they are all set up for 1800MHz.

Three are much concerned at moment about bringing DC-HSDPA to there entire network or as much as they can. They aren't considering LTE to be important or more of a game changer and to degree they are right initially it is going to mainly increased coverage.

Three have a larger chunk of 1800mhz. They have 2x15mhz 1800.

So as a total they now have:
    2x15mhz 2100 for 3G
    2x15mhz 1800 for 4G
    and 2x5mhz 800 for 4G
    70mhz is good enough to pack a punch also there backhaul is being upgrade to fibre where possible and Ethernet dish backhaul where fibre isnt available. Backhaul was upgraded to 1gb Ethernet backhaul recently and is to be again upgrade in the near future to 10gb backhaul.
  • Options
    enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skippy2005 wrote: »
    Three have a larger chunk of 1800mhz. They have 2x15mhz 1800.

So as a total they now have:
    2x15mhz 2100 for 3G
    2x15mhz 1800 for 4G
    and 2x5mhz 800 for 4G
    70mhz is good enough to pack a punch also there backhaul is being upgrade to fibre where possible and Ethernet dish backhaul where fibre isnt available. Backhaul was upgraded to 1gb Ethernet backhaul recently and is to be again upgrade in the near future to 10gb backhaul.

That's what I was trying to say expect that will also try and get 2x5MHz of the 700MHz spectrum when that comes up for sale in 2017.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    Anyone from Three or in the know heard anything more about this possible roaming?

Would really save me a fortune!!

Thanks
  • Options
    heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone from Three or in the know heard anything more about this possible roaming?

Thanks

Yes I'm keenly waiting for news on this also. It used to be Australia, Hong Kong Italy Austria and Ireland that three did this with - I hope theyve expanded it to Europe (and not just the EU)
  • Options
    JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One and only Nodders ‏@NaastyNad 3h
    @ThreeUK When is LTE being rolled out?
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
    ThreeUK ‏@ThreeUK 28m
    @naastynad Later this year. It will be at no extra cost! The exact details are coming soon <Dan
  • Options
    FortKnoxFortKnox Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    JFC wrote: »
    @naastynad Later this year. It will be at no extra cost! The exact details are coming soon <Dan

That is interesting to know. Have to keep a look out. But then again we have no idea when "coming soon" could be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    FortKnox wrote: »
    That is interesting to know. Have to keep a look out. But then again we have no idea when "coming soon" could be.

Early to mid september. Basically end of this month.

You'll see the "4G Ultrafast" advertising around that time as well. (probably a bit after)

(I could still be 100% wrong though)
  • Options
    Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Early to mid september. Basically end of this month.
    I'd heard it would be more October/November.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Step666 wrote: »
    I'd heard it would be more October/November.

I'm talking 4G details/advertising/awareness. Sorry, should have made that more clear. So i'm saying Three will start promoting 4G as free on their network around early to mid September.

4G launch should be very early november if my info is still up to date.

Have a look at this post for some other stuff- http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=67568966&postcount=12
  • Options
    culabulaculabula Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks

It was confirmed to me by staff in a 3 Store who volunteered the info.
  • Options
    culabulaculabula Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    As (the Republic of) Ireland has got a Three network too, I'd be really surprised if it wasn't included.

The great thing was that Three Ireland never left Three Like Home and so I use it all the time in the UK, Italy and Austria.

As 20€ effectively gets you AYCE data for free, it's a no-brainer.

Looking forward to 3UK returning to the fold.