Kindle advice please?

I was given a Kindle reader for Christmas by my elderly mum. She bought it in Tesco's for £119 and at the time, made sure to ask the assistant if it was the version which is back-lit as she knew I like to read at night. On using it the first time I realised it was just the basic model. I queried this with Tesco's as the price seemed high but was told it was the correct price. Anyone any advice to offer please or is this correct? Thanks.

Comments

• JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might be a good idea to go to the Amazon web site, then you can check what model you have and also compare prices.

The basic WiFi Kindle without keyboard is £69. The WiFi PaperWhite which has the back-light is £109, so Tesco are telling porkies.

If you can get the receipt, my advice would be to print off the relevant Amazon pages, go back to Tesco with your device and ask them again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much. I had a feeling there was something very wrong . I do indeed have the receipt and will take your advice :)
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know how long ago she bought the device but at the moment tesco have 2 Kindles listed, basic one for £69 and paperwhite for £109. Cases start from £10 if purchased with the case.

If she paid £119 then it does sound like the paperwhite white with a case. I am guessing their either gave the wrong device at check out or it charged incorrectly for basic one. As long as she has the receipt it shouldn't be a problem to take it back.

BTW are you sure you have the basic one, pictures of basic and paperwhite are here,

http://www.tesco.com/direct/kindle-e-reader/?icid=KindleHomepage_main_slot2_KindleHomepageOct12
    Forum Member
    Just thought I would follow up on my post - I have contacted Tesco AND checked out their online site. As far as I can tell, they have the touch and paper white BOTH on sale at £109 (apologies, btw, I didn't have my glasses on and read it as £119 ). I rang their help-line number and was told there is nothing whatsoever wrong with their prices and they added that their branch managers set the prices! Unbelievable!

I suppose the upshot of this is, buy your Kindle from Amazon. Every little helps? Yes, but only to line Tesco's very big, very greedy coffers!
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it helps you, there are lots and lots of different cases that have a light built in, and they draw power from the Kindle. I have one myself and it's bright enough to read from, but not so bright that it might keep my other half awake if he wants to sleep and I want to read, likewise if you're on a plane at night , it won't keep the other passengers awake.

Check Amazon to see what's available for your model. :)
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    cymrulady wrote: »
    Just thought I would follow up on my post - I have contacted Tesco AND checked out their online site. As far as I can tell, they have the touch and paper white BOTH on sale at £109 (apologies, btw, I didn't have my glasses on and read it as £119 ). I rang their help-line number and was told there is nothing whatsoever wrong with their prices and they added that their branch managers set the prices! Unbelievable!

I suppose the upshot of this is, buy your Kindle from Amazon. Every little helps? Yes, but only to line Tesco's very big, very greedy coffers!

No, prices are correct as the Touch was always more expensive on Amazon as well...the £69 Kindle is the non-touch version and the PaperWhite has really replaced the Touch version now.

I'd take it back to the store and ask to swap it for a PaperWhite.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    I'd have thought you could still return it to Tesco and get your money back or exchange it for the model you want or am I missing something here?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd have thought you could still return it to Tesco and get your money back or exchange it for the model you want or am I missing something here?

I'm confused also. They clearly sold the OP's Mother the wrong product. Get your money back.
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to act on the advice here and since I am still waiting on a callback from Tesco's main customer service centre I will be tacking my local store manager tomorrow. Probably he won't know a Kindle from a bag of flour but fingers crossed. :)
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cymrulady wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to act on the advice here and since I am still waiting on a callback from Tesco's main customer service centre I will be tacking my local store manager tomorrow. Probably he won't know a Kindle from a bag of flour but fingers crossed. :)

The tesco link I posted definitely shows the two devices are different prices. I would print it out and take it into the branch to prove you have been given the wrong device.