The Doctor Who Series 8 Scoresheet Thread

davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
Forum Member
Here it is again, the annual scoresheet thread!

The rules are simple. After each episode of the series has aired, leave your score out of 5 or 10, some people like to leave their thoughts and reasons for their score, reviews, whatever. It's all good. At the end of the series I like to find my total score and series average and compare it to last series.

Series 5 score: 102/130 Average: 7.8/10
Series 6: score: 108/130 Average: 8.3/10
Series 7: score: 117/140 Average:8.4/10

Looking forward to this run, a brand new Doctor in Peter Capaldi and a change in tone for the show as well, if the trailer is anything to go by.

The Series 7 Thread
The Series 6 Thread
The Series 5 Thread

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that the popularity for each series crept up year on year. The opposite of what I would've expected especially S6 which always seems very divisive. How exciting it is to think that we have an unbroken run of twelve episodes for the first time in what seems an age!
  • LogopolisLogopolis Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really 8.4 for Series 7 :confused:

Series 7 is one of the worst of the new series imo
  • davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    7B was a great run of episodes for me where it wasn't for others. My opinion tended to be:

Asylum of the Daleks: Great!
    Dinosaurs On A Spaceship: Great!
    A Town Called Mercy: Okay
    The Power of 3: Okay
    The Angels Take Manhattan: Great!
    The Snowmen: Okay
    Bells of St John: Okay
    Rings of Akhaten: Great!
    Cold War: Great!
    Hide: Okay
    Journey to the Centre of the Tardis: poor
    Nightmare In Silver: Okay
    The Name of the Doctor: Great!

But then what would I know, I like Timelash :p

Please note the OP figures are my own personal scores and not the average of every DS member.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't want to take it off topic as this is for S8 after all but as far as S7 goes I find it has individually enjoyable episodes (and some not so enjoyable ones) but because of the movie of the week thing it all feels a bit disjointed and lacks a coherence as an entire season that all the others have had. I know this was in part a reaction to the arc heavy S6 and when it worked it worked very well. But it feels a bit all over the place and lacks its own identity. I also felt there was a drastic drop in quality after the Snowmen that was only redeemed by the finale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry Davros. I didn't read your OP properly. I thought you had aggregated the forum as a whole. Be interesting to see what that would be. Though quite a task I imagine.
    Forum Member
    All I have is the work of others in the series 5 thread, the average of which was 8/10 I believe.
  • Colin_JohnsonColin_Johnson Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    7B was a great run of episodes for me where it wasn't for others. My opinion tended to be:

Asylum of the Daleks: Great!
    Dinosaurs On A Spaceship: Great!
    A Town Called Mercy: Okay
    The Power of 3: Okay
    The Angels Take Manhattan: Great!
    The Snowmen: Okay
    Bells of St John: Okay
    Rings of Akhaten: Great!
    Cold War: Great!
    Hide: Okay
    Journey to the Centre of the Tardis: poor
    Nightmare In Silver: Okay
    The Name of the Doctor: Great!

But then what would I know, I like Timelash :p

Please note the OP figures are my own personal scores and not the average of every DS member.

For me it's: 1= Terrible, 2= Poor, 3= OK, 2=Good, 5=Brilliant

Asylum of the Daleks: 2
    Dinosaurs on a Spaceship: 1
    A Town Called Mercy: 1
    The Power of Three: 2
    The Angels Take Manhattan: 1
    The Snowmen: 3
    The Bells of Saint John: 3
    The Rings of Akhaten: 5
    Cold War: 2
    Hide: 1
    Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS: 3
    The Crimson Horror: OFF THE SCALE!
    Nightmare in Silver: 3
    The Name of the Doctor: 5

Season 31/Series 5 is a lot worse;-)
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are World Tourists allowed to vote early? :p
    Forum Member
    If you like! Lucky you! Please give us a review if you feel up to it :)
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me it's: 1= Terrible, 2= Poor, 3= OK, 2=Good, 5=Brilliant

Asylum of the Daleks: 2
    Dinosaurs on a Spaceship: 1
    A Town Called Mercy: 1
    The Power of Three: 2
    The Angels Take Manhattan: 1
    The Snowmen: 3
    The Bells of Saint John: 3
    The Rings of Akhaten: 5
    Cold War: 2
    Hide: 1
    Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS: 3
    The Crimson Horror: OFF THE SCALE!
    Nightmare in Silver: 3
    The Name of the Doctor: 5

Season 31/Series 5 is a lot worse;-)

Um, does that mean you didn't like The Crimson Horror or you loved it? :D

(I loved it. And think Timelash is quite entertaining in an "a bit rubbish" sort of way. And Season 31 is wonderful. Vive la difference!) Oh, and btw.......ONE WEEK!!!!
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath - 4/5

Spoiler-Free Review
  • Colin_JohnsonColin_Johnson Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    Um, does that mean you didn't like The Crimson Horror or you loved it? :D

(I loved it. And think Timelash is quite entertaining in an "a bit rubbish" sort of way. And Season 31 is wonderful. Vive la difference!) Oh, and btw.......ONE WEEK!!!!

The Crimson Horror was aweful but Timelash is one of the best. I like how the professor from Shada was also the Borad's human persona.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Oh I cannot wait to do the scoresheet again, how on earth did I forget about it :D Series 7 disappointed me quite a bit, and as much as I love to rain down some judgement I would much prefer to sing the praises of episodes. Hopefully Series 8 has some great stuff! :)
    Sorry Davros. I didn't read your OP properly. I thought you had aggregated the forum as a whole. Be interesting to see what that would be. Though quite a task I imagine.

Last year I used a (admittedly limited size) sample of Digital Spy members to find out which series and episodes have fared the best over time. I don't know if you're interested but the results are here...

SERIES RANKINGS
    Everyone gave scores out of 5 for each and every episode of NuWho up to and including The Name of the Doctor. I calculated a percentage for each episodes success rate in order to rank all 102 episodes from best to worst, and also figured out the average response to each series... :)

1st - Series 4 [76.75%]
    2nd - Series 7 [70.87%*]
    3rd - Series 5 [70.40%]
    4th - Series 1 [70.18%]
    5th - Series 3 [69.19%]
    6th - Series 6 [67.85%]
    7th - Series 2 [65.52%]
    8th - Specials [61.03%]

TOP TEN EPISODES OF ALL
    I have a complete list of all 102 episodes from best to worst according to the sample on DS. I can post the whole thing if you were interested, but here were the top ten... :)
    001 The Name of the Doctor (Series 7, 93.10%)
    002 Blink (Series 3, 91.72%)
    003 Midnight (Series 4, 90.34%)
    004 The Empty Child (Series 1, 90.34%)
    005 The Doctor Dances (Series 1, 88.97%)
    006 Forest of the Dead (Series 3, 88.28%)
    007 The Family of Blood (Series 3, 87.59%)
    008 The Pandorica Opens (Series 5, 87.59%)
    009 Silence in the Library (Series 4, 87.59%)
    010 The Parting of the Ways (Series 1, 86.90%)

I spent ages doing all of this last year. Aside from the full list of 102, I also ranked the finales from best to worst, the Christmas Specials from best to worst, and also have a list of the episodes that didn't score a single '5', and another list of those which didn't score a single '1'. :)
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, I'm going to do the same thing:

Asylum of the Daleks: Great
    Dinosaurs On A Spaceship: Great
    A Town Called Mercy: Weak
    The Power of 3: Mediocre
    The Angels Take Manhattan: Mediocre
    The Snowmen: Good
    Bells of St John: Good
    Rings of Akhaten: Decent
    Cold War: Mediocre
    Hide: Decent
    Journey to the Centre of the Tardis: Good
    Nightmare In Silver: Weak
    The Name of the Doctor: Classic

The scale:

Classic
    Great
    Good
    Decent
    Mediocre
    Weak

That was fun. I'll be sure to do it for the new series too.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't want to take it off topic as this is for S8 after all but as far as S7 goes I find it has individually enjoyable episodes (and some not so enjoyable ones) but because of the movie of the week thing it all feels a bit disjointed and lacks a coherence as an entire season that all the others have had. I know this was in part a reaction to the arc heavy S6 and when it worked it worked very well. But it feels a bit all over the place and lacks its own identity. I also felt there was a drastic drop in quality after the Snowmen that was only redeemed by the finale.

This is pretty much how I feel. I found I really enjoyed a lot of the individual episodes in Series 7, but when I take a step back and look at the series as a whole, there is a distinct disjointedness. It doesn't actually feel like a series.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath 10/10 (seen the finished version).
    Forum Member
    Can't wait for tonight's episode!
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deep Breath:

Well I'm back (I'd avoided this place after it got a bit heated on here for far too long)

Peter was thoroughly unconvincing (it is his first ep, but he did nothing outstanding) and his Doctor isn't very likeable already for me. Jenna was just as average as ever, the slow pace not adding anything to her whatsoever. Vastra, Jenny & Strax were so underused it was just plain bad....

The directing was iffy in my view, at times it worked and at others it just didn't. Moffat's good one-liners came good very fleetingly but the threat in the episode just wasn't there.

The main issue though was the slow pace. The episode could easily have been 25 minutes less and nothing really happened in the first 10 minutes after the titles and there were spells throughout that were just plain boring.

The highlight was Matt's bit in the episode. Everything else was just plain poor in my opinion. As a first story for a new Doctor, its easily the worst of the four since 2005.

My big reservations for this era are getting bigger and bigger...

Overall, 3 or 4 out of 10....can't decide which, but either way it's not good...

As a side note: the new theme tune was bad, the new titles were just as bad.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath - 7/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    bbll22 wrote: »
    Deep Breath:

Well I'm back (I'd avoided this place after it got a bit heated on here for far too long)

Peter was thoroughly unconvincing (it is his first ep, but he did nothing outstanding) and his Doctor isn't very likeable already for me. Jenna was just as average as ever, the slow pace not adding anything to her whatsoever. Vastra, Jenny & Strax were so underused it was just plain bad....

The directing was iffy in my view, at times it worked and at others it just didn't. Moffat's good one-liners came good very fleetingly but the threat in the episode just wasn't there.

The main issue though was the slow pace. The episode could easily have been 25 minutes less and nothing really happened in the first 10 minutes after the titles and there were spells throughout that were just plain boring.

The highlight was Matt's bit in the episode. Everything else was just plain poor in my opinion. As a first story for a new Doctor, its easily the worst of the four since 2005.

My big reservations for this era are getting bigger and bigger...

Overall, 3 or 4 out of 10....can't decide which, but either way it's not good...

As a side note: the new theme tune was bad, the new titles were just as bad.

I assume you are probably a Matt Smith lover.
  • bbll22bbll22 Posts: 527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I assume you are probably a Matt Smith lover.

I'm a big Moffat era fan but haven't been enjoying the show since the Bells of Saint John now sadly. 11/Amy/Rory/River was the best of the best for me. 11/Clara very awkward and uninspired episodes.

The only ones I've liked since Bells have been Hide and the Name/Day/Time of the Doctor trilogy. Deep Breath is very much instantly forgettable. Matt hit the ground running right from the off in his debut, Peter's a long, long way off for me...
  • camy934camy934 Posts: 1,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deep Breath - 10.0/10.0
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,988
    Forum Member
    Deep Breath -8.5/10 I loved it, particularly Capaldi, a few niggles but very small ones and only if I'm being hyper critical( which in itself takes away enjoyment)
    Best bits- Capaldi, Clara improved
    Chief niggle- not keen on new music and titles but they will probably grow on me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    Depp Breath 7.0/10
  • thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll give it 2/10