Options

Pete Andre for coffee...wake up OFCOM.

Comments

• Options
    artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My goodness me yes...................everything from designer cardboard tent drawers to bizarre pet carriers .....all free promotion for the designers of such trivia. All promoted for free courtesy of Lord Sugar :p And on the BBC :eek::p:D

OC, you can't possibly be talking about the cardboard tent drawers that the kids made? the ones that no-one bought? The ones that got laughed out of the sales pitches?

You are comparing something that doesn't exist with Pa wandering around going "Akay, Petey fans, thos is tha coffee I drink when ahm being DOTY, an' Oy look! There is mah ol moite, Mister John Tha Speedboat guy! Are you still renting it out, John? Oiy, look, there is my removal firm, they are great, they do everything you want them too...what was that number again? Ahhh, here is me, being DOTY, oim taking tha kids to that feem park there, I'll jus stand in frunt of tha siogn with the kids, we git in FREE?? Wow"
  • Options
    FuzzyWigLoverFuzzyWigLover Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I have had a look around and cannot find anything. You would imagine comments would have been left on his Facebook or website but there is nothing - only positive comments. Oh well ........perhaps someone else can find the article and post a link.

Olga maybe you missed the part where I said 'other media forum', not Facebook or Website, where any adverse comments being made would be removed by the owner of website or Facebook for sure.

Another clue, the media forum belongs to one of the major red tops!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have the photographer who took the picture of the removal van outside Pete`s new home to thank for that. But of course he`ll get blamed for that...........what should he have done...............rushed out with a blanket to cover the name of the company up lol :p He merely thanked them for all their hard work in his New column. Nothing wrong with that. It was already known said company did his removals thanks to the paparazzi :)

He thanked them by name and used the photo neither of which was necessary. He could quite easily have said he moved and the company he used were great and the day went well. If people had seen the photos and used them fine. He didn't have to give them an advert.
  • Options
    OlgaChristieOlgaChristie Posts: 15,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He thanked them by name and used the photo neither of which was necessary. He could quite easily have said he moved and the company he used were great and the day went well. If people had seen the photos and used them fine. He didn't have to give them an advert.

Why not if they did a good job. It`s only the same as someone recommending a good plumber/builder et al isn`t it ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why not if they did a good job. It`s only the same as someone recommending a good plumber/builder et al isn`t it ?
    :confused::confused:
    No, chatting to a mate is not really the same as a free ad in the National media, is it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :confused::confused:
    No, chatting to a mate is not really the same as a free ad in the National media, is it?

Lucky removal company then :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucky removal company then :p

Lucky Pa, being able to exploit people's trust.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    Lucky Pa, being able to exploit people's trust.

:D Goodness. I would give the majority of people credit not to see the name of the removal van, think to themselves, 'Ooh, Peter Andre tells me they are good - I must use them immediately, even though I am not moving,' and then book them!

Exploit people's trust! :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well no, it's a free advert in a nation wide publication. Which I think is slightly different to asking your neighbor or a relative.

If they appear on his TV show and you can see the name clearly and or contact info, then I think it could be classed as product placement which at the moment isn't allowed.

Like I say it doesn't bother me, at least in this case. I'm not sure about them writing dramas around the highest bidder though. It would depend on how it's included.

If he is being paid for mentioning names in his shows I'm not sure if that is against some form of legislation or not. I think it may well be. I like TV, the backstage stuff interests me, is all. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OC, you can't possibly be talking about the cardboard tent drawers that the kids made? the ones that no-one bought? The ones that got laughed out of the sales pitches?

You are comparing something that doesn't exist with Pa wandering around going "Akay, Petey fans, thos is tha coffee I drink when ahm being DOTY, an' Oy look! There is mah ol moite, Mister John Tha Speedboat guy! Are you still renting it out, John? Oiy, look, there is my removal firm, they are great, they do everything you want them too...what was that number again? Ahhh, here is me, being DOTY, oim taking tha kids to that feem park there, I'll jus stand in frunt of tha siogn with the kids, we git in FREE?? Wow"

OK then........let`s check out some of the rewards that the winning teams on the Apprentice have won .............for example ..

Tea at the Dorchester Hotel
    Pampering session at Champneys Spa
    Cocktails at the Savoy
    £500 voucher to spend in Selfridges
    and the list goes on.....................

And then who could forget the where they had to buy and sell at a French market. And where did they go and buy some of their produce from...........why Makro:p

And that is only the tip of the iceberg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :D Goodness. I would give the majority of people credit not to see the name of the removal van, think to themselves, 'Ooh, Peter Andre tells me they are good - I must use them immediately, even though I am not moving,' and then book them!

Exploit people's trust! :D:D

People buy his smelly stuff, because it has his name on - for god's sake, some people even buy his "music" so a little thing like moving house while drinking his coffee whilst being on his diet and reading his book at the wheel of the speedboat he recommends isn't beyond the realms of likely...;)

Such is the level we are dealing with...:D:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK then........let`s check out some of the rewards that the winning teams on the Apprentice have won .............for example ..

Tea at the Dorchester Hotel
    Pampering session at Champneys Spa
    Cocktails at the Savoy
    £500 voucher to spend in Selfridges
    and the list goes on.....................

And then who could forget the where they had to buy and sell at a French market. And where did they go and buy some of their produce from...........why Makro:p

And that is only the tip of the iceberg.

Then contact OFCOM, OC...cos it is against the rules.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then contact OFCOM, OC...cos it is against the rules.

Obviously it is not. Otherwise we would have heard about The Apprentice being investigated by OFCOM wouldn`t we ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Obviously it is not. Otherwise we would have heard about The Apprentice being investigated by OFCOM wouldn`t we ?

OC - can you not go and your own research please. :confused: You raised the point about The Apprentice, you are complaining about it, and you are using it as your usual "other people do it, too!" defence of Pa. If you think it is wrong, report it...if not what else do you have to add to the discussion on product placement in Pa's show?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,933
    Forum Member
    There is advertising everywhere, although I didn't see it as such in Pete's show last night, I saw it as a diary of Pete's work and certainly didn't feel inspired to go out and look for a Costa coffee Shop because Mr Costa himself was on the show. Anyway, isn't it better to have it more open, if that is what it was, than the more hidden advertising in films with the Apple logo clearly on view in Neighbours, or the can of coke on the table in other films.
    Someone getting married tomorrow is advertising everything from the dress to the caterers and the cake on their upcoming show in return for massive price reductions - it is normal and harms no-one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OC - can you not go and your own research please. :confused: You raised the point about The Apprentice, you are complaining about it, and you are using it as your usual "other people do it, too!" defence of Pa. If you think it is wrong, report it...if not what else do you have to add to the discussion on product placement in Pa's show?

The Apprentice comparison was brought in to highlight that product and company promotion is widespread. Therefore I think it is relevant to this thread. I do not think it is wrong at all unlike some on this thread who seem to think PA`s alleged promotion warrants OFCOM being involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liz G-S wrote: »
    There is advertising everywhere, although I didn't see it as such in Pete's show last night, I saw it as a diary of Pete's work and certainly didn't feel inspired to go out and look for a Costa coffee Shop because Mr Costa himself was on the show. Anyway, isn't it better to have it more open, if that is what it was, than the more hidden advertising in films with the Apple logo clearly on view in Neighbours, or the can of coke on the table in other films.
    Someone getting married tomorrow is advertising everything from the dress to the caterers and the cake on their upcoming show in return for massive price reductions - it is normal and harms no-one.

Good post. A good example is a programme on one of the digital channels called Don`t Tell The Bride (where the bloke has to secretly arrange a wedding) shows him booking the wedding venue, selecting the wedding dress from a bridal shop, buying the flowers from a florist, buying the rings from a jewellers..............all free advertising for the retailers in question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Apprentice comparison was brought in to highlight that product and company promotion is widespread. Therefore I think it is relevant to this thread. I do not think it is wrong at all unlike some on this thread who seem to think PA`s alleged promotion warrants OFCOM being involved.

So again, you brought it in to use the "Other people it" defence?
    Which is the equivalent of saying " I know it is wrong" and then trying to justify it.

Let us hope he doesn't ever kill anyone then!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good post. A good example is a programme on one of the digital channels called Don`t Tell The Bride (where the bloke has to secretly arrange a wedding) shows him booking the wedding venue, selecting the wedding dress from a bridal shop, buying the flowers from a florist, buying the rings from a jewellers..............all free advertising for the retailers in question.

Is the guy I that show trying to pretend that is just his normal, everyday life? And does he get any other benefit from it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So again, you brought it in to use the "Other people it" defence?
    Which is the equivalent of saying " I know it is wrong" and then trying to justify it.

Let us hope he doesn't ever kill anyone then!

I brought it in (well actually it was Darling) to bring some perspective into what was a very one-sided debate and to show the practice is more widespread than people realise and not some terrible offence worthy of OFCOM intervention:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is the guy I that show trying to pretend that is just his normal, everyday life? And does he get any other benefit from it?

Yes I would imagine they would get a discount for using the retailers and advertising their business. Not sure I understand your comment about "his normal everyday life" ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think they have had complaints or queries anyway but have found to be in the clear and adhering to the guidelines. As they don't accept payment or say one product is better than another.

I think the idea of having something hidden in a show is so that the product placement doesn't take away from the show itself. Although lots of products are used which are simply props and used without payment.

I'm sorry I'm not in a position to have a google around but I think you are allowed to use certain things depending on the show.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In Don't Tell the Bride the names of the Bridal Shops and Florists aren't mentioned by the people appearing in the show, the shop fronts are only shown fleetingly on screen. You would have to watch on demand and pause to find out the names.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I would imagine they would get a discount for using the retailers and advertising their business. Not sure I understand your comment about "his normal everyday life" ?

Is the guy in the show trying to pretend that in the process of his normal, every day life he has to use all those facilities or is it relevant to the show he is in?

Pa pretends that those are things he does as part of his normal, everyday life, and he just happens to mention/show/thank them, both in the show and in print later.

Which is different, as it is him recommending that company/object/place.

Hope that helps, if not, let me know and I will find another way to explain it for you.:)
  • Options
    IdiotgirleIdiotgirle Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm at a loss as to why he needs to go on a diet (other than to make money by shilling it). Didn't all that weight loss happen as a result of stress over the divorce from "the other person"?:rolleyes:
This discussion has been closed.