Options

Spotting now famous actors in old films

MadamfluffMadamfluff Posts: 3,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I recorded an old Rutger Hauer film called Blind Fury which was released in 1989, it used to be one of my favourite films (mainly because I have a thing about Rutger).

I saw it at the pictures and got it on video and must have seen it a dozen times.

There was secondary character who I must admit I didnt take much notice of, today me and the old man watched the recording and when this character came on we both said 'thats John Locke' and indeed it was Terry O'Quinn
from Lost, who is just as famous as Rutger now (probably even more so)

Normally if I see a familar face and think that looks like whatsit from thingybob I have to google the cast list to find out who it is, but we recognised Terry O'Quinn immediatly - hasn't changed much.

How many now famous actors have you spotted in old films and do you always recognise them

Comments

• Options
    Constant PMTConstant PMT Posts: 3,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in a film, but I still watch Darling buds of May with Catherine Zeta Jones in her first tv appearence. I find it ammusing in the first couple of episodes with her gappy teeth, then by the end she has the porcelain venners lol
    You notice it when watching a lot of the episodes in one go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terry O'Quinn's pretty much appeared in everything!
  • Options
    c0boc0bo Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    Quadrophenia (1979)
    I watched this film on ITV1 once and I could spot a lot people who are famous now (or kind of famous) and these included:

Phil Daniels, Leslie Ash, Sting, Ray Winstone, Mark Wingett, Toyah Willcox, John Altman, Phil Davis and Kate Williams.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    Perhaps not considered that famous now, but "the long good friday" is peppered with former soap stars and at least one movie hearthrob.

Gillian Taylforth (the late Kathy Beale) doing her best movie scream.
    Derek Thompson (Charlie Fairhead) chewing the scenery in his death scene

and Pierce Brosnan as a decidedly sleazy IRA rent boy assassin.

all of whom were outclassed of course by P.H. Moriarty's deliciously straightfaced portrayal of Razors.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    There's an old 50's SF movie called Tarantula about a giant mutated spider on the rampage. Finally the powers that be decide to bomb it and the pilot of the plane that destroys the beast is none other than a young Clint Eastwood.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps not considered that famous now, but "the long good friday" is peppered with former soap stars and at least one movie hearthrob.

Gillian Taylforth (the late Kathy Beale) doing her best movie scream.
    Derek Thompson (Charlie Fairhead) chewing the scenery in his death scene

and Pierce Brosnan as a decidedly sleazy IRA rent boy assassin.

all of whom were outclassed of course by P.H. Moriarty's deliciously straightfaced portrayal of Razors.

Going with the not so famous I remember spotting some TV actors as kids, plus some big names in Bugsy Malone.
  • Options
    toribaynestoribaynes Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i spotted a very young george clooney in return of the killer tomatoes lol
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Going with the not so famous I remember spotting some TV actors as kids, plus some big names in Bugsy Malone.

Obviously, Jdie Foster and Scott Baio. Also, Dave Quinnan out of The Bill, Bonnie Bloody Langford, Mark Curry & Katherine Aponowicz. I'm struggling after that.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was watching some old kids TV shows the other day on You Tube, I came across a show called Dark Season.

None other than a very young Kate Winslet showed up. :D I had no idea. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madamfluff wrote: »
    I recorded an old Rutger Hauer film called Blind Fury which was released in 1989, it used to be one of my favourite films (mainly because I have a thing about Rutger).

I saw it at the pictures and got it on video and must have seen it a dozen times.

There was secondary character who I must admit I didnt take much notice of, today me and the old man watched the recording and when this character came on we both said 'thats John Locke' and indeed it was Terry O'Quinn
    from Lost, who is just as famous as Rutger now (probably even more so)

Normally if I see a familar face and think that looks like whatsit from thingybob I have to google the cast list to find out who it is, but we recognised Terry O'Quinn immediatly - hasn't changed much.

How many now famous actors have you spotted in old films and do you always recognise them

He was brilliant in the stepfather,i only saw it recently,the 2nd was alright 2 although a bit cheaper lol Di Caprio was in Critters 3,his first film i think also jenifer aniston was in leprechaun.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love doing this sort of thing...

My favourite is still Kevin Spacey in See No Evil Hear No Evil
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given her fame surged later in life I am often surprised (even though I know it's her) to see Kim Cattrall in Big Trouble in Little China, Manequin and The Return of the Mucketeers.

Back to the Future managed to include Billy Zane, whilst II added a rediculously young Elijah Wood playing a video game.

Oh and when I caught a bit of Hot Shots the other day (:o) it amusingly had Jon Cryer staring alongside Charlie Sheen (both of course now in 2 1/2 men).

Those are quite easy to spot , but whilst I had Idle Hands in my collection and had watched it loads I didn't realise the main female lead was Jessica Alba until years later. Oddly it was made around the same time as Dark Angel but I didn't recognise her at all.
  • Options
    scorpio20080scorpio20080 Posts: 2,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Kirsten Dunst in Jumanji count?:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Given her fame surged later in life I am often surprised (even though I know it's her) to see Kim Cattrall in Big Trouble in Little China, Manequin and The Return of the Mucketeers.

She's even better in 'Porky's'.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She may well be, but the three I listed are in my collection and Porky's isn't :D
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A young & demented Jeff Goldblum in Death Wish always gives me a chuckle.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    whilst II added a rediculously young Elijah Wood playing a video game.

Who was also in Terminator 2
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bruce Willis clearly visible, with hair, as an extra in "The Verdict".
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Very Young Jake Gyllenhaal in City Slickers
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,695
    Forum Member
    revolver44 wrote: »
    A young & demented Jeff Goldblum in Death Wish always gives me a chuckle.
    As opposed to the old and demented Jeff Goldblum we know and love today.

Regards

Mark
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One I didn't know about, but apparently is true, is Glen Close in Hook. She plays a pirate, complete with beard.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One I didn't know about, but apparently is true, is Glen Close in Hook. She plays a pirate, complete with beard.

Youtube is your friend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ar4x-hXIic
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An unrecognisably chubby Jerry O'Connell in "Stand By Me".

An almost unrecognisably slender Robbie Coltrane in "Death Watch" aka "La Mort en Direct".
  • Options
    Ted CTed C Posts: 11,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sylvester Stallone as a mugger on a subway train in Woody Allen's Banana's.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd seen 'Empire of the sun' a few times in the past and only when I watched it a couple of months ago did I notice that Ben Stiller plays quite a large part in it.

Oh, and Kiera Knightley was in 'Star Wars - The Phantom Menace'.