'Dumping' a driving instructor

13»

Comments

• Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magenta01 wrote: »
    Just to add on, I passed today, despite having to do a parallel park ON A HILL! Thought I'd failed as it literally took me about 10 manoeuvres to get it right... but it proves the advice that if you don't think you have a manoeuvre right, mumble it to them then go and sort it, I spent the rest of my test shaking my head wishing I could hit myself and he told me I had passed, flabbergasted, but I guess I was good at the rest and showed I knew how to correct problems! Good luck to anyone else taking their tests!

Well done you. I think once you thought you'd messed up you probably took the nerves and pressure off yourself and that's when he was judging your driving.

Good luck OP, and you can ask for someone who's good with drivers who lack confidence. My son's instructor was very patient and helped those who'd decided to give driving another go, after years losing their nerve ,
  • Options
    hammerfanhammerfan Posts: 1,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Magenta01 wrote: »
    Just to add on, I passed today, despite having to do a parallel park ON A HILL! Thought I'd failed as it literally took me about 10 manoeuvres to get it right... but it proves the advice that if you don't think you have a manoeuvre right, mumble it to them then go and sort it, I spent the rest of my test shaking my head wishing I could hit myself and he told me I had passed, flabbergasted, but I guess I was good at the rest and showed I knew how to correct problems! Good luck to anyone else taking their tests!

Congratulations! :D I think most people I know have been convinced they've failed their test when they've passed it! Good luck in all your future driving.
  • Options
    hazy-dayshazy-days Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congrats. Having a good instructor is important. I hated mine. It went on for almost a year with her saying I wasn't ready for a test and that I hesitated too much. In the end I insisted she put me in to try as I was only working part time through college and couldn't keep paying her forever. Anyway she put me in and I passed, turns out I was fine when she wasn't in the car with me. She even questioned the woman who passed me when she was told - "what and she didn't hesitate"? :rolleyes:

"No I didn't and you can bog off now." :D
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks again for all the advice I got first time around - it was really helpful and dealing with the situation really helped boost my confidence.

But... I might be in the same situation again, though this time it has a few different angles.

Basically my new driving instructor is a really good teacher, and we get on very well. I'm progressing nicely as was going to ask him on our last lesson if we could book in a test in early/mid September and work towards passing then as after that I'll b busy in work and I think I'll be ready then anyway.

But he never showed - he texted 20 mins before the lesson saying he's had some bad personal news and wasn't sure he was able to cope. I rebooked for Saturday but he didn't turn up then either and hasn't been in touch since.

I have no idea what his personal issue is, but he had told me before that his ex is moving away with his young son to further away, and he had seemed more depressed since the news, when he was previously happy go lucky.

As well as the inconvenience, I think it's pretty unprofessional to fail to communicate with any of his pupils (he has a facebook page where he could have left a simple message at least) if he needs to take a few days out, say if his mum died or something.

I have texted saying I'd like to book again and that I plan to pass before September, or at least attempt to, but still no reply.

I want to handle this in as friendly a way as possible as he is a decent guy, and having experience of people in difficult and stressful situations in my family, I don't want to be a person who is making his life more difficult and more stressful (I honestly don't even know if he is alive right now even). I do however have my own life and priorities to be getting on with.

I'd be grateful of any opinions on the circumstances, though I appreciate that it's only been a couple of days, it's very abnormal for him to be so absent.
  • Options
    Sprite123Sprite123 Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had a fair few in my lifetime - one of them made me cry when I was 18 many years ago. My last one was very brief and only met him about 3/4 times before I passed, but the other one (I don't think set out to take the mick), but was just mundane and slow in putting me forward for a test.

I actually failed twice with him and in the end, I never bothered getting in touch with him. He must have easily made around £2000 out of me in lessons.

My dad used to give me the third degree on the rate of my progression, but I didn't take much notice and gave my instructor the benefit of the doubt.

You could:

1) just put off the lessons and say I'm taking a break from it.

2) Could lie and say you're moving location

3) Be bold and honest and say it's not working out.

Depending on how the person is, ultimately, go by your natural instincts - good luck!
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks again for all the advice I got first time around - it was really helpful and dealing with the situation really helped boost my confidence.

But... I might be in the same situation again, though this time it has a few different angles.

Basically my new driving instructor is a really good teacher, and we get on very well. I'm progressing nicely as was going to ask him on our last lesson if we could book in a test in early/mid September and work towards passing then as after that I'll b busy in work and I think I'll be ready then anyway.

But he never showed - he texted 20 mins before the lesson saying he's had some bad personal news and wasn't sure he was able to cope. I rebooked for Saturday but he didn't turn up then either and hasn't been in touch since.

I have no idea what his personal issue is, but he had told me before that his ex is moving away with his young son to further away, and he had seemed more depressed since the news, when he was previously happy go lucky.

As well as the inconvenience, I think it's pretty unprofessional to fail to communicate with any of his pupils (he has a facebook page where he could have left a simple message at least) if he needs to take a few days out, say if his mum died or something.

I have texted saying I'd like to book again and that I plan to pass before September, or at least attempt to, but still no reply.

I want to handle this in as friendly a way as possible as he is a decent guy, and having experience of people in difficult and stressful situations in my family, I don't want to be a person who is making his life more difficult and more stressful (I honestly don't even know if he is alive right now even). I do however have my own life and priorities to be getting on with.

I'd be grateful of any opinions on the circumstances, though I appreciate that it's only been a couple of days, it's very abnormal for him to be so absent.

He's got issues, leave it at that, he's let you down as an instructor whatever they are. Cut your losses, you might never hear from him again.

My advice is if you're near passing, book a test (you don't need to supply a car reg no), for in a few weeks time and then contact the BSM (they are in my opinion the BEST driving school, excellent standards and head office etc) and let them know you have a test booked and need some lessons just to get you to (and through!) that test. That's what I did, I had 6 lessons with BSM when I felt test ready but I'd moved house and lost my instructor. I passed no problems.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    (they are in my opinion the BEST driving school, excellent standards and head office etc)

Really? lol! Admittedly, I passed with a BSM instructor BUT it still comes down to who you get...

In some cases BSM use instructors who aren't fully qualified yet charge the student the full going rate for them - this was the case with my first BSM instructor in the North West.

Eventually I got a good BSM instructor, my 4th with them, who had been doing the job for years but it came down to luck of the draw more than anything. I'd moved location after number 3 and stuck with BSM as I had credit with them.
  • Options
    RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Really? lol! Admittedly, I passed with a BSM instructor BUT it still comes down to who you get...

In some cases BSM use instructors who aren't fully qualified yet charge the student the full going rate for them - this was the case with my first BSM instructor in the North West.

Eventually I got a good BSM instructor, my 4th with them, who had been doing the job for years but it came down to luck of the draw more than anything. I'd moved location after number 3 and stuck with BSM as I had credit with them.

In which case I guess you have to check your instructor - I got an older BSM guy, fabulous instructor, friendly and clear. I actually missed him when I passed haha :)
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's got issues, leave it at that, he's let you down as an instructor whatever they are. Cut your losses, you might never hear from him again.

My advice is if you're near passing, book a test (you don't need to supply a car reg no), for in a few weeks time and then contact the BSM (they are in my opinion the BEST driving school, excellent standards and head office etc) and let them know you have a test booked and need some lessons just to get you to (and through!) that test. That's what I did, I had 6 lessons with BSM when I felt test ready but I'd moved house and lost my instructor. I passed no problems.

I went through *ahem* a 'few' driving instructors and have to agree with the above. The BSM instructors I had (the first one moved away so I had two) were both excellent and I finally passed my test with them.

Learning to drive was by far the worse thing i've had to do in my life (you can tell how sheltered I life i've had). I would rather sit a hundred job interviews and exams combined then take that test again.
  • Options
    Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dumped my first driving instructor from BSM for being impatient and losing his temper. I ended up booking lessons with a guy who ran his own business and who was really nice. I passed first time with about 5 minors.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    I had to dump my driving instructor, i felt like i was not getting anywhere. If someone suddenly dashed out in front of the car he would slam on the breaks and blame me. It felt like he blamed me for most things that was not my fault. Sometimes he would turn up and teach me a maneuver during the lesson and keep changing it if i was struggling and get me confused. Sometimes he was slouched in the chair with his eyes slowly closing falling asleep:eek:

I had to dump him and i have not found a new instructor yet even though its been about 3 months. I will return soon
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    As a point if interest (and maybe someone has mentioned it) if you are sitting in as a supervisor to a learner it is illegal to use a phone unless hands free. So if he is taking calls and using the phone in his hand he is breaking the law. I'd just stop booking him.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,928
    Forum Member
    Yep, it's always best to try and get a reference of a decent instructor if possible (and waiting a month or two for a window to open so they can teach you).

Also, you want an instructor who's clear, concise and even a bit harsh with you if required (half-way through my lessons back in the day, I did something really stupid behind the wheel and got barked at - and deservedly so). You need to get things drummed into you military-style, don't look for the instructor to be your friend.

Plus, avoid young instructors. Mine was in his 60s and had bags of experience, had lots of little tips, always making little remarks in certain situations. He knew exactly how to settle me in to driving - especially how to anticipate things. Had total respect for him.
  • Options
    x k a y xx k a y x Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I feel like mine isn't taking me anywhere fast, which is a shame because she is so lovely. I'm 20 lessons in and I've only done 3-point-turns, most of the time she just tells me to drive around for an hour..Should I try someone else?
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,072
    Forum Member
    x k a y x wrote: »
    I feel like mine isn't taking me anywhere fast, which is a shame because she is so lovely. I'm 20 lessons in and I've only done 3-point-turns, most of the time she just tells me to drive around for an hour..Should I try someone else?

Yes. You should be bay parking and all sorts by now. Mind you an hour isnt long, most people roind here have two hour long lessons.
  • Options
    x k a y xx k a y x Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Yes. You should be bay parking and all sorts by now. Mind you an hour isnt long, most people roind here have two hour long lessons.

I started off by having 2 hour lessons, but it was proving to be a bit tiring for my head and I'd find myself getting migraines from concentrating so much!
  • Options
    BunnyfooBunnyfoo Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to dump my first instructor as he had the most awful breath. Would make me feel really sick.