Options

Stuart Blackburn is getting unfair criticism.

Comments

• Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm another one who wasn't a fan if Collinson. Apart from Tram week and the Colin Stape storyline I thought a lot of what he did was dreadful. Constant sensational storylines and stunts resulting in characters in life and death situations every other week, the awful Price clan, crap new characters apart from Sylvia...
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    I think Coronation street is very lucky not to be getting more criticism than it is. People complain about Eastenders but this piece of crap is unwatchable. It's just a cringe programme.

^This^ carried by the superlative acting of David and Julie. Cliché no 1- EE has the most shouting and depressing s/ls. Come off it. That's what it needs to return to - the grittiness.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Despite the live EP which was a triump, he was also responsible for the creation of the twin headed monster that is Maurel, and for that he can never be forgiven.

2 random characters that iirc, had barely little to no interaction..... ever before and ( just incase )
    judging by whats upcoming in corrie, that wasn't a one off.

I'll give him credit for ending the Sophie/Jenna relationship though.
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting to note that in spite of all the denunciation on here, both Corrie eps got over 9m viewers last night (inc +1).:cool:
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly. He had some good ideas, and did two fantastic 'big' episodes (the Live one and Cain's Judgement Day). However, there was lack of humour, a lot of repetition, characters were over used to the extent that it must have been exhausting for the actors, and some of the new characters haven't worked out. Faye's new friend sounds a bit like the horrible Gemma (although she has improved slightly).
    Faye was a mistake from the start, disliked on all the forums; so, instead of getting rid of the character, he brought in another equally obnoxious girl. There is no understanding his reasoning. He is doing the Hayley/Roy story well, and the Platts are watchable.
  • Options
    DeschanelDeschanel Posts: 8,745
    Forum Member
    Hetal wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if he was so bad how come he got the Corrie job? He can't be that bad surely? I've never watched Emmerdale and I haven't watched Corrie in months. Is it just DS folks who doesn't like his work?
    Sadly it doesn't work based on performance, but on experience. SB got the job b/c he's an experienced EP, and it also helped that ED and Corrie air on the same network; he was part of the ITV family.

Creativity is subjective, so a lot will look at ratings, budget management, and overall experience. This is why bad producers can ruin one show and move on to another.

He ruined ED for a lot of people (he did produce the odd decent story, but overall it was all personality transplants and character assassinations, and plot driven mess).

For some (me included), I can see some of these bad trademarks slipping into Corrie already: Todd returning with a personality transplant, Tina overkill, Tina & Peter's random affair, Hayley wanting Roy to help her die (I don't buy for a second that she would ever put Roy in such a position - this is also a recycled story from ED), less main stories featuring each week, which gives way to a lot of filler plots, the general tone of the show is grey.
  • Options
    ThamwetThamwet Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »
    Sadly it doesn't work based on performance, but on experience. SB got the job b/c he's an experienced EP, and it also helped that ED and Corrie air on the same network; he was part of the ITV family.

Creativity is subjective, so a lot will look at ratings, budget management, and overall experience. This is why bad producers can ruin one show and move on to another.

He ruined ED for a lot of people (he did produce the odd decent story, but overall it was all personality transplants and character assassinations, and plot driven mess).

For some (me included), I can see some of these bad trademarks slipping into Corrie already: Todd returning with a personality transplant, Tina overkill, Tina & Peter's random affair, Hayley wanting Roy to help her die (I don't buy for a second that she would ever put Roy in such a position - this is also a recycled story from ED), less main stories featuring each week, which gives way to a lot of filler plots, the general tone of the show is grey.

Hayley doesn't actually want Roy to help her. She just basically wants him to allow her to do it when she is ready and to be there for her.
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I do think 'patchy' is the best word to describe Corrie at the moment. The Platt drama and Roy and Hayley's storyline are strong, but then you get episodes like last Friday's with the awful Tina and Tracy stuff which was just abysmal. People had it in for Blackburn before he even started at Corrie though so he was always going to get a hard time of it on here.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deschanel wrote: »

SB needs to put his own stance and take ownership of Corrie, but IMO he is being lazy and recycling Emmerdale stories. Yes you are right, Hayley would never put Roy in such a difficult position. Tina would not give Peter a second look. The Tracy Barlow/Tina feud was car crash telly. I was so bored.
  • Options
    Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder if he is recycling Emmerdale stories for Corrie.

He is definitely recycling old stories. on Corrie. Take the Jackson story on Emmerdale in 2011 - a character paralysed from a train crash who decides to take his own life, then there is Hayley in Corrie in 2014 - she decides to take her own life cancer deats her.

I bet he will do the same to Sinead as soon as Katie McGlynn quits. I can't see sinead making a full recovery, and can't see the actress wanting to stay in a bed/wheelchair for the rest of her career.
  • Options
    wavlovrwavlovr Posts: 3,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am dreading the
    pairing up of Callum and Sarah Platt storyline. Callum is just Emmerdales Ross Barton V2. SB obviously likes him as he just signed a 12 year contract

I can`t see Corrie turning around anytime soon.....not with SB in charge anyway.
    :(
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting really annoyed the criticism he's receiving on here at the moment everyone forgets how bad PC was all the criticism he got in the papers too many gay characters, employing his friend Michelle collins with her fake Manchester accent and so many characters ending up in hospital.

SB is only getting stick because of his work on ED which is totally unfair nobody in the media cares about ED in any shape or form, even Kevin o'sullivan called the siege gimmicky which it was.

The moment I knew I shouldn't take this thread seriously...
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He is definitely recycling old stories. on Corrie. Take the Jackson story on Emmerdale in 2011 - a character paralysed from a train crash who decides to take his own life, then there is Hayley in Corrie in 2014 - she decides to take her own life cancer deats her.

I bet he will do the same to Sinead as soon as Katie McGlynn quits. I can't see sinead making a full recovery, and can't see the actress wanting to stay in a bed/wheelchair for the rest of her career.

Suicide isn't that uncommon. It seems unreasonable to say that because Emmerdale had a suicide s/l a couple years earlier that Corrie can't do one. Even in EastEnders they are doing the suicide s/l with Stan who has cancer.

So many times in soaps, someone has a highly serious accident, but they recover with no life long injuries as is happening now with Ronnie in EE. It would make a change if someone did become confined to a wheelchair for life to make the programme a better reflection of reality.
  • Options
    m-riverm-river Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He isn't getting rid of any deadwood, they need to write him out for punishment
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Michelle Collins, I'd like to know why her character was reduced to background just to fade away
  • Options
    vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting really annoyed the criticism he's receiving on here at the moment everyone forgets how bad PC was all the criticism he got in the papers too many gay characters, employing his friend Michelle collins with her fake Manchester accent and so many characters ending up in hospital.

SB is only getting stick because of his work on ED which is totally unfair nobody in the media cares about ED in any shape or form, even Kevin o'sullivan called the siege gimmicky which it was.

He deserves criticism as he has turned Corrie into a joke.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Stuart Blackburn is one the most horrendous Executive Producers EVER, he for me is right up there with Kirkwood and Newman. He is completely ruining Corrie and need to step down or be sacked.
  • Options
    gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Stuart Blackburn is a terrible EP. I can't believe how bad Corrie is atm.
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing I dislike about Blackburn and Collinson as well is that we get their agendas stuffed down our throats. Also that all middle aged women have to be old bags - what about a kind lovely character. Gloria and the dreadful "GG" as a case in point. There will never be another Blanche and they need to realise that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I like Michelle Collins, I'd like to know why her character was reduced to background just to fade away

Because she was leaving?
  • Options
    Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CherryRose wrote: »
    Stuart Blackburn is one the most horrendous Executive Producers EVER, he for me is right up there with Kirkwood and Newman. He is completely ruining Corrie and need to step down or be sacked.

You do realize that Kieran Roberts is the EP and Stuart Blackburn is the Series Producer?

I think Blackburn does get a lot of unfair criticism. Although I find Emmerdale more enjoyable than Corrie, I do think its entertaining. I enjoyed all the drama with the Platts over the past 2 years, Hayley's cancer, Tina's murder, Tima/Sally and Steve's depression. The only things I think he's done wrong is bringing in the Nazirs and the Andrea/Lloyd a pairing. Everything Blackburn does seems to be scrutinized and put under a microscope, like making Tim illiterate, people threw a fit because Tim contacted Faye online. Then I look at Emmerdale with the Bartons, they that video tape that showed Ross around age 10 and Emma was still there and fighting with James, which contradicts the current story of Emma leaving after trying to kill baby Ross. If Blackburn had done this I think people would be calling for his head on a platter.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't worry. As someone who works in TV, though not in soap, I can assure you that prevailing views expressed on DS rarely, if ever, chime with the views of the ordinary punters who watch TV. I see characters and actors regularly disparaged on here, who are liked, even loved, by ordinary viewers.
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do realize that Kieran Roberts is the EP and Stuart Blackburn is the Series Producer?

They don't let little things like facts get in the way of rants on DS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing I dislike about Blackburn and Collinson as well is that we get their agendas stuffed down our throats. Also that all middle aged women have to be old bags - what about a kind lovely character. Gloria and the dreadful "GG" as a case in point. There will never be another Blanche and they need to realise that.

Gloria wasn't middle aged. Wasn't she nearly 70?

How many middle aged women are there now? Gail, Sally, Eileen, Mary, Liz, Yasmeen.??..
    Only half those characters could be considered old bags.
  • Options
    Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    They don't let little things like facts get in the way of rants on DS.

Clearly you're right and although Blackburn is in charge of the story lines, I would assume that Kieran Roberts has to sign off on everything Blackburn does and was the person who hired Blackburn in the first place, so maybe all the Blackburn haters are going after the wrong person.