Sinead O'Connor falls foul of the Daily Fail

lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
Forum Member
✭✭
sinead's appearance displeases the style experts at the DM

It's hard to believe that this is the Sinead O'Connor who, 20 years ago, stared intently into a camera and sang the now iconic song Nothing Compares 2 U. "The Irish singer, renowned for her shaved head appearance, looked somewhat different as she was pictured in Dublin yesterday.

Surprisingly, the 43-year-old campaigner was sporting a full head of hair, which she teamed with a very dowdy-looking coat and flowing red dress."

How dare this 43 year old mother of four not look like she did 12 years ago!

Comments

• The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll never forget an article they did on Sinatra a few years ago..... A lot of nonsense about how ol' blue eyes had declined and had passed his prime. He was in his 80's and nearing death - do the DM not understand the ageing process?

Pathetic journalism.

O'Connor was a beauty back in the day IMHO but the shaved hair and doe eyed look was 20 years ago. I genuinely don't understand what point they are making.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll never forget an article they did on Sinatra a few years ago..... A lot of nonsense about how ol' blue eyes had declined and had passed his prime. He was in his 80's and nearing death - do the DM not understand the ageing process?

Pathetic journalism.

O'Connor was a beauty back in the day IMHO but the shaved hair and doe eyed look was 20 years ago. I genuinely don't understand what point they are making.

Oh because she's 'let herself go', I expect. That's a hanging offence. And she's out in public in a comfortable coat, and not all dolled up. Another hanging offence.

Sinead has always been a very careless beauty - one of the reasons, apart from her amazing voice, why I've always liked her. She's never relied upon her looks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im 48 and i wouldnt go out dressed like that, i dont suppose shes down and out financially so why dress like one, theres still an attractive woman in there if she made a bit of effort
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It has been well established on here that the Fail have a serious issue with understanding the natural ageing process of the average human being!!

We're talking 20 years down the line here - of course Sinead is going to look different!! She has never been one to trade on her looks or be super-groomed anyway.

On saying that - she looks fine in those pics.
  • MariaellaMariaella Posts: 1,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course she looks different after twenty years, but she still looks well, especially in the full length picture. She still has lovely eyes and a nice smile. Actually, she's a rather young looking 43.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As mad as a box of frogs but she was always 11/10 on shagometer and a natural beauty:

Once again, typical Daily Mail :rolleyes:
  • asp746asp746 Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    i love the daily mail - read it every day without fail. don't agree with everything they say but hey ho.

sinead has turned into a bit of a baglady imo and just because we're 20 odd years on from Nothing compare 2u is no excuse to let yourself go which she clearly has.
  • xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    It's just a typical story that the Daily Mail think of, they never have a good thing to say about anyone but especially women, they are usually going on about how old Judy Fin looks.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    asp746 wrote: »
    sinead has turned into a bit of a baglady imo and just because we're 20 odd years on from Nothing compare 2u is no excuse to let yourself go which she clearly has.

She can let herself go if she wants. It's her appearance. Just because she was a big-selling recording artist, doesn't give her some obligation to the community to maintain any sort of image.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xmel05 wrote: »
    It's just a typical story that the Daily Mail think of, they never have a good thing to say about anyone but especially women, they are usually going on about how old Judy Fin looks.

Obviously the Mail is giving her a break over the Easter weekend.

Interestingly enough, both Punch & Judy used to take items out of the DM when they presented This Morning and used them for topicss in the programme the following day.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wasn't aware that people needed to excuse the way they looked to Daily Mail writers. :rolleyes: I suppose with such gorgeous stunners as Richard Littlejohn, Jan Moir and Paul Dacre working for them, they are in a great position to judge.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i love the daily mail - read it every day without fail. don't agree with everything they say but hey ho.

And what business is it of the Daily Nazi if she wants to let herself go?:rolleyes:
  • millymilly Posts: 5,871
    Forum Member
    Do they still expect her to look the same as she did 2 decades ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its makes a refreshing change to see someone who is ageing gracefully - with natural hair and natural skin colour and without botox/fillers. It annoys me that being natural nowadays is somehow seen as wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    milly wrote: »
    Do they still expect her to look the same as she did 2 decades ago.

Probably. What's pretty disgusting here is that they take one shot of her out shopping, just going about her business, and use this to demonstrate how she's - in their words - gone all dowdy and aged. Whereas they could have used another contemporary shot of her to show that she still looks great and still has the fabulous bone structure and eyes she was renowned for 12 years ago.

F for FAIL.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrsHenri wrote: »
    Its makes a refreshing change to see someone who is ageing gracefully - with natural hair and natural skin colour and without botox/fillers. It annoys me that being natural nowadays is somehow seen as wrong.

And of course if she does decide to get botox, the Daily Mail will mock her for that too.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she looks amazing personally - I'm younger than that and I don't look that good.
  • tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Probably. What's pretty disgusting here is that they take one shot of her out shopping, just going about her business, and use this to demonstrate how she's - in their words - gone all dowdy and aged. Whereas they could have used another contemporary shot of her to show that she still looks great and still has the fabulous bone structure and eyes she was renowned for 12 years ago.

F for FAIL.

Yep!

Even in that pic I thought she looked fine for an off duty photo - she actually reminded me a lot of Sorcha Cusack when she played that nurse in Casualty.
  • Skinny TreeSkinny Tree Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has always been a miss-matched thrift store dresser.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The outspoken singer, who has four children to four different fathers, is once again making her views known on the Vatican."

What does the fact she has four children by four men have to do with ANYTHING? ooh, stupid daily mail.
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The outspoken singer, who has four children to four different fathers, is once again making her views known on the Vatican."

What does the fact she has four children by four men have to do with ANYTHING? ooh, stupid daily mail.

Because they're incapable of having an article about a woman where they don't mention who she's having a relationship with or how many kids she's got in a way that they don't do with men. And oh how they rub their hands with glee if they're to more than one father! In the DM women are defined by these things not who they are, what they do, what they say or what else they've done :rolleyes:

Of course the underlying dig here is 'ooooh she's had 4 children and really let herself go!' Well so what? Maybe she was having a comfy day. I should imagine a lot of their readers have also have 4 kids and don't look how they did 20 years ago. I'm about the same age as Sinead and would hate to be compared to a photo of myself from then! :eek:
  • KnifeEdgeKnifeEdge Posts: 3,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wot a surprise, someone who has never been conventional, continues to be unconventional in her 40's! I couldnt see that coming!:eek:
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on Sinead for going out and not wishing to please everyone. I go out looking like a scruff sometimes, because I don't give a toss what people think. If I'm comfy and happy, why should I make loads of effort? Who would I be trying to impress?

Leave Sinead alone. Not all of us get dressed up to the nines a la Cheryl Cole or Victoria Beckham to go and get a pint of milk.
  • fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    THe DM have 2 stock stories about women - one is 'Woman of 40/50/whatever tries to look younger - let's all mock her' and the other is 'Woman of 40/50/whatever looks her age - let's all mock her'. They just change the names and add photos.

Oops, sorry - forgot about the 'Ms X is too fat or too thin' and 'Pregnant woman weighs more than before she was pregnant' stories.

The Daily Fail just hate women. All women.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

LOL. Just more of the same, Disapproval that she won't march to their hypocritical and narrow beat.

What a pack of old hags they are.