Options

Capital FM Network (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Long time reader first time poster... anyway. I am under capital manchester so I get to listen Rob in the morning and Sally in the evenings.

These 2 shows have pretty much settled into their stride however my biggest criticism is the amount of competitions. I think Rob Ellis has always said he didn't like doing competitions, quizes and stuff like that. I think its through gritted teeth he tells people they can win a 42inch TV etc sponsored by Virgin media (which is on a loop every 5 mins). It's a shame cos he is so good in a morning and tough competition for Key 103. But I can't see him lasting much longer (his choice not theirs)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    anyone hear danny swear on ir on the Dose this morning?
  • Options
    djgeezadjgeeza Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    os17 wrote: »
    anyone hear danny swear on ir on the Dose this morning?

I was half listening and thought I heard Danny say shag, and then Hirsty started apologising, but that can't have been it. What did he say?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djgeeza wrote: »
    What did he say?
    Galaxy?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    djgeeza wrote:
    I was half listening and thought I heard Danny say shag, and then Hirsty started apologising, but that can't have been it. What did he say?

A few years ago on Galaxy nobody would have batted an eyelid at a word like that. Dave Kelly used to regularly call his callers a 'c*ck'' and say things like 'a load of gash' etc before he was presumably told to tone it down when Global took over.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    A few years ago on Galaxy nobody would have batted an eyelid at a word like that. Dave Kelly used to regularly call his callers a 'c*ck'' and say things like 'a load of gash' etc before he was presumably told to tone it down when Global took over.

He still did when Global were in control. When they rebranded Galaxy with the pink all the fun of Dave Kelly was toned down.
  • Options
    t0264t0264 Posts: 893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting comparisons in there, nice :)

There has been NO processing changes (I'll guarantee you that from first hand experience) to the output of the Capital stations. Well, actually there wa... no, never mind, can of worms!

Out of intrest, what kind of processing effects have you got on the treble, what effects are you using to get that sound
    (I've seen an Omnia 6 unit before so whatever you say should make sense)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    teh wrote:
    He still did when Global were in control. When they rebranded Galaxy with the pink all the fun of Dave Kelly was toned down.

Correct, I should have been more specific :). Mind you, even Galaxy in it's previous, watered-down incarnation was a thousand times more fun to listen to than Capital! At least the DJ's weren't all like robots.
  • Options
    CapitalLifeCapitalLife Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not inconceivable. Providing a complete setup of the networking technology (the ex-GWR system, basically) was part of the sale, I don't see why not. Actually, they'd probably get more money that way (like how buying a big package of things is cheaper than buying everything in the package separately.)I'd actually be all for seeing the two networks sold off to different companies. And by being national networks, the opportunity to creep the two London stations too close together again (as happened FAR too often when Heart and Capital were true rivals) will be less tempting.

I could imagine the owners of the Spanish & Portugese network M80 Radio could be interested in Heart - used to be the station of choice in the cars of the older employees in resort last Summer - over and above the English stations Spectrum and Central. Basically, it's like Heart but without the newer songs. Tunes are English, links/imaging/ads in Spanish.

Out of interest, how much do we all think Heart or Capital are worth? No sarcastic "5p" comments please... I'm serious. Considering the existing audience, the potential audience, the assets, the clientèle (advertisers) and other goodwill, how much?

Another hypothetical musing - if Global were to put a proposal to Ofcom to remove local drive shows, it would probably be put to consultation. And let me tell you, for us digital East Midlands listeners - change of DJ aside, it sounds the same as it did when it was coming from Nottingham as it does now from London. And Global didn't even OWN Nottingham. Says it all, I guess. But, what I want to know is - would the rest of the industry go all-out to do everything in their power to block it, or encourage a "Yes" response?

I think you'll find I predicted this in the 2011 predictions thread.
  • Options
    mbessexmbessex Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GCAP and Chrysalis cost about £545MM to buy.
    I doubt it is currently worth that today.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mbessex wrote: »
    GCAP and Chrysalis cost about £545MM to buy.
    I doubt it is currently worth that today.

On the Radio Academy podcast last week it was stated that if Global went for a stock market flotation or a private sale now they would probably get back what they paid, plus a bit more.

The reduction in overheads at local stations and the extension of the Classic FM licence (to 2017) would make it an attractive proposition for investors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://www.capitalfm.com/yorkshiresouthwest/on-air/schedule/?date=2011-02-28

YAY GALAXY'S BACK haha or maybe just a computer glitch but i can always hope
  • Options
    chocolate_boychocolate_boy Posts: 2,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.capitalfm.com/yorkshiresouthwest/on-air/schedule/?date=2011-02-28

YAY GALAXY'S BACK haha or maybe just a computer glitch but i can always hope

:confused: Looks like the normal Capital 105 website here
  • Options
    Forum Member
    o they've changed it, for monday/tuesday/wednesday they had:
    1-4 Tom Ferguson
    4-6 Greg Hughes
    6-10 Hirsty
    10-1 Sacha
    1-4 Ant Payne
    4-7 Adam O'neil
    7-10 James Barr
    10-1 Adele
  • Options
    east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in Essex today so thought I'd try out Capital. I put it on the car and firstly there was no bass so it sounded poor, The Bassman was quite good - a personality driven link and not just a "this is, that was" kinda link but I tuned away after that.

I did listen to Irish station Spin 1038 on my iPhone through the car and that sounded so much better as did Time 107.5 too. Capital really do need to sort out their bass though IMO.
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kat_Shoob#Capital_FM
    Is this true?
    Kat Shoob formerly co-hosted the 95.8 Capital FM London weeknight slot alongside Rich Clarke but was suspened in late december 2010 for play around with the play list
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    mistermeep wrote: »
    This was played at breakfast last week too.
    Also heard Pussycat Dolls Dontcha and an oldish Beyonce one, so they are definitely creeping the odd older track in.
    Which is a good thing, in my opinion.

I remember that When Leicester Sound changed from 'Todays best Mix' to 'Your Hit Music Station' they played only top 40, like Capital was doing. It then changed to 'Your Number 1 hit music station' and a little more variety was added with an older track, seems like Capital has jumped into the Your Number 1 hit music station, as opposed to the Your Hit Music station. (If You get what I mean) But I have noticed that the presenters talk less, and there is more adverts. Plus when they put in the older songs, they seem to cut short.

The Variety is a good thing-but they need more of it, with more older songs, and not cut short
  • Options
    mattdmattd Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -ajm- wrote: »
    No it's not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Another hypothetical musing - if Global were to put a proposal to Ofcom to remove local drive shows, it would probably be put to consultation. And let me tell you, for us digital East Midlands listeners - change of DJ aside, it sounds the same as it did when it was coming from Nottingham as it does now from London. And Global didn't even OWN Nottingham. Says it all, I guess. But, what I want to know is - would the rest of the industry go all-out to do everything in their power to block it, or encourage a "Yes" response?

Global did own when it was Nottingham actually. Just that Global allowed the programme director (Dick Stone) for the East Midlands, to be in Charge of the Hit music network (Including Red Dragon Fm & 95.8). Global in London, did have control, though not as much-however they want more control so the change to Capital happened. I think a change to Galaxy would have been better. If they changedf to galaxy however, they still wouldn't have as much control, as that came from Leeds.

In Future they may remove Drivetime, but I say thank god, as the drive time on the east Midlands station is just as appalling as Breakfast. They should have put Steffan (Perhaps with Hannah Patterson) on weekday Breakfast, Tim Disney on Weekend Breakfast & Steve reed on Weekday Drive. Or Bring Back Our Own Areas shows.

Where Does Ofcom do it's public consultations anyway? Never heard about them advertised anywhere, yet they are always saying following public consultations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mattd wrote: »
    No it's not.

Really I think Kat shoob doesn't want to work for Global any more, so they are slowly removing her. It is about time Big Top 40 presenters changed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    o they've changed it, for monday/tuesday/wednesday they had:
    1-4 Tom Ferguson
    4-6 Greg Hughes
    6-10 Hirsty
    10-1 Sacha
    1-4 Ant Payne
    4-7 Adam O'neil
    7-10 James Barr
    10-1 Adele

I have noticed James Barr is filling in for Dave tonight & Tommorow night, don't know if that's a glitch or not.
  • Options
    RidgiemanRidgieman Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In Future they may remove Drivetime, but I say thank god, as the drive time on the east Midlands station is just as appalling as Breakfast. They should have put Steffan (Perhaps with Hannah Patterson) on weekday Breakfast, Tim Disney on Weekend Breakfast & Steve reed on Weekday Drive. Or Bring Back Our Own Areas shows.

Where abouts are Tim Disney, Steve Reed and Hannah Patterson now?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
    Forum Member
    Hannah's been testing at BRMB for a potential slot.
  • Options
    James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Global did own when it was Nottingham actually. Just that Global allowed the programme director (Dick Stone) for the East Midlands, to be in Charge of the Hit music network (Including Red Dragon Fm & 95.8). Global in London, did have control, though not as much-however they want more control so the change to Capital happened. I think a change to Galaxy would have been better. If they changedf to galaxy however, they still wouldn't have as much control, as that came from Leeds.

Where Does Ofcom do it's public consultations anyway? Never heard about them advertised anywhere, yet they are always saying following public consultations.

I was more getting at Heart Nottingham, which despite being owned by Orion Media has sounded no different since a Global-run version of Heart from Leicester Square has come online on DAB since Orion ending their business arrangement on 106 FM.

The point being, is it really such a bad time if the local drive shows go? Will anyone notice? Will anyone (except us lot) care?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have noticed James Barr is filling in for Dave tonight & Tommorow night, don't know if that's a glitch or not.

Not a glitch, James has just confirmed it on Facebook.

Wonder where Luke Smith is tonight though? Scott's in for him 7-11 and Will was in for Scott 1-4.