Options

The release of Google Glass will mean the end of privacy forever

DiazDiaz Posts: 220
Forum Member
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/9939933/Google-Glass-Orwellian-surveillance-with-fluffier-branding.html

http://www.edrants.com/thirty-five-arguments-against-google-glass/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Glass

From telegraph.co.uk:

" Imagine if Google or Facebook decided to install their own CCTV cameras everywhere, gathering data about our movements, recording our lives and joining up every camera in the land in one giant control room. It’s Orwellian surveillance with fluffier branding. And this isn’t just video surveillance – Glass uses audio recording too. For added impact, if you’re not content with Google analysing the data, the person can share it to social media as they see fit too.

Yet that is the reality of Google Glass. Everything you see, Google sees. You don’t own the data, you don’t control the data and you definitely don’t know what happens to the data. Put another way – what would you say if instead of it being Google Glass, it was Government Glass? A revolutionary way of improving public services, some may say. Call me a cynic, but I don’t think it’d have much success. "

-

I understand that there is no expectation of privacy in a public place but this means that private conversations have high potential of being published online.

We are surveyed and monitored enough already this is just more surveillance and this form of surveillance is a lot more intrusive than CCTV.

You will be audio and video recorded EVERYWHERE in public you go, shops, restaurants, pharmacies etc. You will be audio and video recorded on private property as well.

It is frightening that people are willing to give up their privacy to have the latest gadget.

Comments

• Options
    Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skynet is rising.
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    If this bothers you then you have the option of never leaving the house...
  • Options
    DiazDiaz Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    If this bothers you then you have the option of never leaving the house...

The product is a huge affront to civil liberties.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Your posts are an affront to my sanity.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can someone explain to me what exactly this is, and if I don't have it then how is it an affront to my civil liberties. (or anyone else who doesn't have this?
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    Nobody is obliged to wear them. Nobody is obliged to be in the presence of anyone wearing them either.

Maybe you should use your Google glasses to cross reference civil liberties against an encyclopaedia.
  • Options
    hustedhusted Posts: 5,287
    Forum Member
    I'm still worried about Google Nose.

What happens if they put Google Glasses on Google Nose?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nobody is obliged to wear them. Nobody is obliged to be in the presence of anyone wearing them either.

Maybe you should use your Google glasses to cross reference civil liberties against an encyclopaedia.

But dumb people will buy into the idea anyway. Just needs a few idiots to start the ball rolling.
  • Options
    spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's no different to someone walking about in public with a camera, phone, etc...

I like the line "the person can share it to social media as they see fit too," as if that's not possible already with all the social apps on phones, etc...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only issue is with covert recording. With camcorders and phones it's usually quite apparent when they are recording but with the glasses this may not be possible unless some recording light is enforced. Otherwise if anyone comes near me wearing one of these I'd just tell them to bugger off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only issue is with covert recording. With camcorders and phones it's usually quite apparent when they are recording but with the glasses this may not be possible unless some recording light is enforced. Otherwise if anyone comes near me wearing one of these I'd just tell them to bugger off.

You can currently buy cameras hidden in pens from "spy gadget" type shops, so that's not exactly new.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    OP, you must be absolutely exhausting to be around. I thought your endless Work Programme threads were bad enough.

Get some new hobbies, please?
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes people walking around with these on are going to be pretty unpopular I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Resonance wrote: »
    Yes people walking around with these on are going to be pretty unpopular I think.

Initially maybe, but it'll take off.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Maybe, maybe not. Google doesn't have the Midas Touch. They have tried things in the past which just hasn't taken off in the end. There is quite a bit of buzz around the glasses but in the end it will boil down to user experience and user acceptance. I'm not too keen on voice commands myself. I don't proclaim what I'm about to do to the people around me just before I do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Maybe, maybe not. Google doesn't have the Midas Touch. They have tried things in the past which just hasn't taken off in the end. There is quite a bit of buzz around the glasses but in the end it will boil down to user experience and user acceptance. I'm not too keen on voice commands myself. I don't proclaim what I'm about to do to the people around me just before I do it.

The key is how well the voice commands work. If they work well, even with odd accents, then I can see people taking too them.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to them :cool:
    can someone explain to me what exactly this is, and if I don't have it then how is it an affront to my civil liberties. (or anyone else who doesn't have this?
    Think of it as a computer/phone? hybrid from your POV with a user interface

These links give a clue to the functionality of it

http://www.google.com/glass/start/what-it-does/
    http://www.google.com/glass/start/how-it-feels/
  • Options
    icic Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be fine .There'll only be a few of the usual ***** who buy them :)
  • Options
    ResonanceResonance Posts: 16,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Can't see many people wanting to talk to someone that might or might not be recording them and might or might not publish their conversation online.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Google glass thing is on is everything it "sees" uploaded to the internet for Google to see or is it only uploaded if you chose it to be?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the Google glass thing is on is everything it "sees" uploaded to the internet for Google to see or is it only uploaded if you chose it to be?

It's still in the prototype phase so we can speculate but I suspect as with phones it will keep track of your location and past locations and your search records. It'll also integrate with Google+ and Google Drive so will allow automatic syncing of any recorded media with the cloud or social networks, maybe even youtube. What Google does with this cloud data who knows. Probably nothing but it's somebody else holding all the keys to your stuff.
  • Options
    jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    ic wrote: »
    It'll be fine .There'll only be a few of the usual ***** who buy them :)

In fairness, that is what I said about Ipods...
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm guessing you'll be able to turn that stuff off.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It ended years ago with the proliferation of camera phones! This is just the next step. Though at the moment I doubt people want to wander around with them. They seem incredibly geeky and intrusive despite the ads promoting the wonderful lifestyle you'll have with them,
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭