Beard or no beard?

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
The act of growing a beard is the ultimate expression of manliness but they aren't overly common nowadays, probably due to a feminisation (is that a word?) of men i regards to any kind of body hair.

So, what are your opinions on beards? I would be particularly interested in hearing from women on their opinions of men with beards.

I have recently grown one and I think it looks rather fetching.

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beard, Noel
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    stubble:cool:
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought they had become rather fashionable amongst younger men recently?

Personally I don't like beards, they're all beardy and horrible.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Most blokes I know can't carry a beard properly, despite thinking they look debonair and suave. They will think they will have this chiselled, trim look about them, but everyone else thinks they look like the homeless.
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beard! I tried to work out what made me click with guys, and I think the ability to grow a credible beard is it (even if they don't actually have one).

My OH grew his out for me, and he looks so handsome with it. I like his looks without it well enough, but love him with it!

Shaped facial hair (apart from neatening the edges, some moustaches and shaving off the neckbeard) sends me in completely the opposite direction though. Goatees are minging, especially when combined with a shaved head.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most blokes I know can't carry a beard properly, despite thinking they look debonair and suave. They will think they will have this chiselled, trim look about them, but everyone else thinks they look like the homeless.

How much of that is down to poor beard maintenance, though?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    How much of that is down to poor beard maintenance, though?

You can see that some spend a lot of time on it, but just don't have the profile to carry it off.
  • MindeeMindee Posts: 22,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has lots of benefits.
  • dreadnoughtdreadnought Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I grow one in winter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mindee wrote: »
    It has lots of benefits.

Oh God
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a bit of a beard going on recently (though it wasn't that great) and got rid of it last week. I think I'll stick to a bit of stubble.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the furthest I've ever done recently, letting it grow for 2 months, maybe a little longer. Trimmed it and shaped it a little, thought it looked good, but then when the trimmed parts started growing back I couldn't be bothered maintaining. Decided I'd be best of with the wild man of Borneo look or going back to my old routine of running a beard trimmer on the shortest setting over it once or twice a week. Went with the latter in the end, leaving a bit of stubble/short growth.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I've had a short beard for years now. I had a handlebar moustache too until recently but shaved it off. Love beards and moustaches on young guys. I think it looks really hot.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people suit a beard and can carry it off, others can't. If you think it looks good then go for it, OP. :)
  • swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beards are meh. Those moustache, goatee all in one things are sexy.
  • Titan9Titan9 Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will grow one, one day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Mine keeps the scary women of this village away from me, so that's all the reason I need to keep it. :)
  • BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Life is better with a beard.
  • JusticarJusticar Posts: 1,620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like them. More men with beards please. But short ones, not those awful Abu Qatada beards.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Shaved head and beard is another combination I love.
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    Stubble not lots of hair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine keeps the scary women of this village away from me, so that's all the reason I need to keep it. :)

That's partly why I grew it. Some scary arse women in my village too :eek:
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually beards are much more in vogue now than they have been since the 70s! I think a lot of men look great with a beard, my husband included. :D

Currently enjoying David Mitchell, Charlie Brooker, Ben Affleck, George Clooney all bearded up.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beards, no. Stubble is okay though.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beards are in fashion. You're just following a trend by growing one.