Options

Screen Very Dark

Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My computer is a notebook eMachines D620. Anyhow, I was downloading a file using Utorrent on Sunday when the screen suddenly turned off. I later realised that if I shone a torch I could see that it was still working but the screen was very dark. I attempted to turn the brightness up but to no avail. I managed to see to backup important files to a flashdrive and then decided to reinstall Vista, fearing it was a virus. It is still the same, though. It goes dark a few seconds after I turn the computer on. When I get to Vista, I can close and open the lid and it lights up for a few seconds with the the AC adapter plugged in, but lasts a bit longer, 5-10 mins with just the battery.

I've also done that procedure in which you unplug everything and take the battery out and hold down the on button for about a minute, but no such luck. I was just wondering what it could be and if I just need to replace a backlight or something. How expensive and easy would that be? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It sounds like the backlight has gone. What make/model is the monitor? If it's an unbranded Chinese job then you will struggle to find a service manual.

You can get a new monitor quite cheaply, probably not much more than the cost of repairing it, unless you are planning to do it yourself.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    yeah back light on the screen. it's a hardware fault.

either the inverter or the screen itself. a screen will set you back about 50 quid. easy to fit.

you can buy just the bulb.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I thought it would be the light, but wanted to make sure before I start spending and pulling the machine apart. Also, it says in the instruction booklet that the display is 14" WXGA 1280 x 800. I think a new backlight will probably be a cheaper option to start off with. However, I won't be able to attempt it if it involves soldering. I will have a google around to find instructions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. I thought it would be the light, but wanted to make sure before I start spending and pulling the machine apart. :p Also, it says in the instruction booklet that the display is 14" WXGA 1280 x 800. I think a new backlight will probably be a cheaper option to start off with. However, I won't be able to attempt it if it involves soldering. I will have a google around to find instructions.

it's not difficult, no soldering. the only problem with assuming it's the bulb is it could just as easily be the inverter board.

there are videos on youtube how to replace the screen, and the bulb usually just clips in round the edge, or is screwed in.

if you look at the bezel it normally has little rubber pads that protect it when you close it. if you pull these off they normally have a screw behind them. then you have to pry the bezel off.

you will need a tiny screw driver, and possibly a pry tool. though you can normally make do. equally they are not expensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    it's not difficult, no soldering. the only problem with assuming it's the bulb is it could just as easily be the inverter board.

there are videos on youtube how to replace the screen, and the bulb usually just clips in round the edge, or is screwed in.

if you look at the bezel it normally has little rubber pads that protect it when you close it. if you pull these off they normally have a screw behind them. then you have to pry the bezel off.

you will need a tiny screw driver, and possibly a pry tool. though you can normally make do. equally they are not expensive.

Thanks. I looked at your Ebay link again and it mentions that I don't need to solder. The price is also very reasonable, and so that's where I thought I'd start. Anything to do with the inverter board sounds more complicated, so hopefully it isn't that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. I looked at your Ebay link again and it mentions that I don't need to solder. The price is also very reasonable, and so that's where I thought I'd start. Anything to do with the inverter board sounds more complicated, so hopefully it isn't that.

the inverter board just clips in too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After googling some more the symptoms do sound more like an inverter board problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    After googling some more the symptoms do sound more like an inverter board problem.

i don't know.

is there a way to test the bulb?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't come across a way that I could test it. From what I've read, though, it seems that if it's the light it gradually fades out and the screen discolours first. With the inverter board it comes on briefly then flashes off. That sounds more like my problem. So, I think I'm going to attempt to replace the board first. Wish me luck. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i do wish you luck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick update. The new inverter board worked. So, thanks for the advice. Probably saved me a fortune :p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    good for you. happy to help.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a quick update. The new inverter board worked. So, thanks for the advice. Probably saved me a fortune :p:D

Result! :cool: