Boardwalk Empire - Season 5 - US Pace

123457»

Comments

• Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I thought he was in a cell for some reason.

Well that's that cleared up then. :D
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    << BE's Nucky was not a real character.

There was a Nucky JOHNSON but it was based on him very very loosely >>

Boardwalk Empire, the TV series was based of course on part of the factual book of the same name. Nucky of course was a real person and the TV character was supposed to actually be him. What they played with was the events, which were partly fictional, and a few characters extra invented.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    << BE's Nucky was not a real character.

There was a Nucky JOHNSON but it was based on him very very loosely >>

Boardwalk Empire, the TV series was based of course on part of the factual book of the same name. Nucky of course was a real person and the TV character was supposed to actually be him. What they played with was the events, which were partly fictional, and a few characters extra invented.

The real Nucky never killed anyone (or even ordered a killing). It started out being him but they added a lot of layers to him that was never there.

The book and the character was the building block which it was built on but they changed more of him then they kept
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with the final season (recorded it all and binge watched it rather than watching it week by week).

It suffered in ways I thought it would from the shortened season and the huge time jump - but I guess it's better than no ending at all. The problem with the flashbacks and pitting Nucky against non fictional characters was that the entire season had an air of predictability about it. We know Nucky can't emerge victorious against Lansky, Luciano and co. and we also know he eventually hands young Gillian over to the commodore in the flashback story.

Due to the small number of episodes the deaths of regulars like Chalky and Nelson didn't have that much of an impact considering the characters had probably only had about 20 minutes of screen time each over the whole season.

In terms of tying up all the loose ends and bringing Nucky's story to a thematically satisfying end I'd call this final season functional rather than great. I suspect that, like many TV endings, time and rewatches may be kind on these episodes. For now, all I know is that I will miss BE. It's been one of my TV highlights over these past few years.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_don1 wrote: »
    The real Nucky never killed anyone (or even ordered a killing). It started out being him but they added a lot of layers to him that was never there.

The book and the character was the building block which it was built on but they changed more of him then they kept

That's right I believe. I intend to read the book fairly soon when I finish the latest pending ones. I think the series would have been better if they had kept it more factual - those who like the nasty stuff would have been quite happy with Al Capone etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    That's right I believe. I intend to read the book fairly soon when I finish the latest pending ones. I think the series would have been better if they had kept it more factual - those who like the nasty stuff would have been quite happy with Al Capone etc.

Not sure that would have made for such a interesting character. For all the bad stuff Nucky did and the fact we knew the history of him and Gillian I think it was still surprising to some extent how easy it was for him more so when we got to know the young Nucky so well.
  • J-BJ-B Posts: 18,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A fitting, if not entirely thrilling final series IMO.

I think the problem with Nucky as the main character is that he's always been less likeable or relatable than many of the supporting 'B-storyline' cast. I've always felt much more intrigued by Al Capone, Chalky, Nelson, Lucky & Meyer, or AR than I never have with the 'central storyline' cast of Nucky, Eli, Jimmy, or Margaret.

This is in no way a slight to Steve Buscemi, however. He's done marvellously to bring this character to life. I just think Nucky was more interesting as part-time gangster full-time political boss. Once he lost that after S2, he's just another ageing unlikeable gangster with changeable regrets about people he's lost / killed.

The setting was also fantastic, the interior sets, the boardwalk and how it's changed over the seasons, the attention to the everyday details and more.

Overall I think I'll look back fondly on Boardwalk Empire :)
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think viewing figures may have dropped because it was really slow. Nothing really happens for a long time and it's one of those shows you must watch on a box set as watching one episode a week does not do it justice, like The Wire.

Ending was good although I think I need to watch all of it again from the beginning to truly understand some bits which confused me and some parts which I totally forgot about
  • TishtoshtessTishtoshtess Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just caught up on the final season of BE. Overall I was glad I stuck with it, however sometimes found myself not really paying attention as at times, it was dull.

Young Nucky - well, I don't really need to say much more than has already been said. You could tell that Marc had put in the hours studying how Nucky walked and talked. I thought he was brilliant.

As soon as I saw Tommy I said to my other half that he had all the mannerisms of Jimmy. Not only that, but he even looked a bit like him. I wasn't surprised he was Tommy as I suspected it all along. He was another fantastic piece of casting.

Overall I thought it was an okay ending. There wasn't really any alternative. However, by the end, I found myself really disliking Eli. What a waste of space he was.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ok ending, s3 was the peak for me.

did gillian tell tommy to kill nucky?

also the actors who played young nucky and gillian really nailed it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,376
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So dissapointed with the final series . The storyline was poor in comparison plus there were too many endless flashbacks and all my favourite people were killed off one by one .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    ok ending, s3 was the peak for me.

did gillian tell tommy to kill nucky?

also the actors who played young nucky and gillian really nailed it!

I dont think so. Due to the operations performed on her and her at best fragile mental state I dont think she really had a clue who Nucky was or what he had done to her.

Think it was more for the revenge for killing his Dad and giving up his grandma to a child sex ring
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't see the twist at the end coming, but figured he'd probably end up dead!

Van Alden outing himself as FBI with his demise imminent surprised me- I thought he had left all that behind.

I thought for sure Mickey Doyle's luck (I found it amusing how many died while he carried on) was not going to run out and he'd outlive everyone- so didn't see his death coming.

Young Gillian and Nucky (married) were awesome.

Oh and alongside the Red Wedding on Game of Thrones I will never get over Nucky shooting Jimmy.

Both were things I had no idea were going to happen nor had the possibilities crossed my mind!
  • HumidHumid Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a very poor last season. The flashbacks did not work & were boring. I did think the young Nucky played the part well though. Story lacking, action lacking & poor dialogue, not a patch on all the previous series. Stupid but predictable ending, poor, poor, poor.
  • shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a good show with a very good first couple of seasons but lost its way towards the end.