Farage Says No English, No Job In The NHS

FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
Forum Member
✭✭
Nigel is the man. Just speaking about issues the common man in the street or pub wants addressed that the current establishment ignores. Fair play to him for putting his neck on the line as the person who will say things in the media many won't or too scared to.. He knows UKIP has no chance in the election but he has brought forward issues into the public domain that many many British (yes British) people are concerned about - it doesn't mean we are racist.

http://news.sky.com/story/1401889/farage-says-no-english-no-job-in-the-nhs

It's ludicrous to go to a GP who doesn't speak English or understand this culture.. I thought this would of become a bigger issue before now.

I thank Nigel really because like I said, hes bringing these issues into the mainstream media that quite frankly, are genuine concerns amongst the British public.

Comments

• radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Nigel is the man. Just speaking about issues the common man in the street or pub wants addressed that the current establishment ignores. Fair play to him for putting his neck on the line as the person who will say things in the media many won't or too scared to.. He knows UKIP has no chance in the election but he has brought forward issues into the public domain that many many British (yes British) people are concerned about - it doesn't mean we are racist.

It's ludicrous to go to a GP who doesn't speak English or understand this culture.. I thought this would of become a bigger issue before now.

I thank Nigel really because like I said, hes bringing these issues into the mainstream media that quite frankly, are genuine concerns amongst the British public.

Agreed.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, nurses, doctors etc should be able to speak a good standard of English, surely it is a safety issue for proper and clear communication?
    It is estimated that around 11% of the 1.3m workers in the NHS are not British born, which means UKIP's plans could potentially affect as many as 130,000 health service staff.

Suppose all 130,000 of those staff are to lose their jobs, where would we replace them from? It will take time to train up new NHS staff.

And I wonder how many out of those 130,000 actually speak English as their first language because they come from English speaking countries / or have lived here since they were little.

And even the ones left, I am sure there's a very high percentage who speak excellent / very good / even understandable English.

So in fact Farage could really only be talking about a few thousand / hundred immigrant NHS workers.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Farage is at it again...

I haven't come across any doctors who can't speak English. Most speak English better than some English people :p Some Scots are difficult to understand ;-) ( I do love them though)
  • solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say force the patient, even on their deathbed, to take lessons in various eastern European languages along with Urdu and Hindu.
  • gocompletelynutgocompletelynut Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Farage is at it again...

Yes he does seem to speak a lot of common sense. Dealing with a doctor who's grasp of English is second rate is a very very frustrating experience.
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,573
    Forum Member
    Farage preaching to the converted again. Wish he would be so forthcoming wit his ideas for slashing money to the NHS.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes he does seem to speak a lot of common sense. Dealing with a doctor who's grasp of English is second rate is a very very frustrating experience.

What was your experience of coming across one?
  • DaccoDacco Posts: 3,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FusionFury wrote: »

Agreed...... common sense isn't it?.....NHS, no place for the PC liberal left.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    What was your experience of coming across one?

http://i.imgur.com/3hVrGtR.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Comical Ali hired by the NHS? You need to see an optician. pronto! :D
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,573
    Forum Member
    Comical Ali hired by the NHS? You need to see an optician. pronto! :D

You got that wrong. Is that not the UKIP media guy they have hired for the GE campaign? Would be an improvement on what they have at the moment
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dacco wrote: »
    Agreed...... common sense isn't it?.....NHS, no place for the PC liberal left.

Is this post ironic?

Anyway, been in the NHS a few days recently, a fair few seemed foreign born, a number of Irish, didn't have a problem communicating. They seemed to be doing a lot of the tough shifts over the Festive period. Classic straw-man argument arguing against something that only rarely happens, but ho-hum it's what his career is.
  • crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to watch casualty (wife)
    And I thought how Unrealistic it was. Not one single accented nurse or doctor. It portrays the NHS as perfect! State brain washing !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    You got that wrong. Is that not the UKIP media guy they have hired for the GE campaign? Would be an improvement on what they have at the moment

Oh yes, he used to get everything wrong. His propaganda was useless, it backfired. Lol.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,951
    Forum Member
    Was the first language of the staff is only comment on the NHS? Is that his prime concern?

Was he happy enough for other people (Docs, I guess) to be ripping £2000 a day from the NHS; mainly because they can't get enough staff, speaking any language in the door to see the patients.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only reflect on my recent time in hospital and say that I was looked after by some English females who had not a caring bone in their body and by a number of foreign nurses from the Philippines, Germany and Uganda that did such a great job that it was a pleasure to be looked after by them. Most surprising to me was how good the male nurses were while my consultant was Italian and his Registrar was possibly South American but communicated very well.

I'm so very proud of the NHS but being an in-patient was a dreadful experience. You feel very alone and some days the longest conversations seemed to be between myself and the nursing assistant delivering me the (often wrong) option for meals. The largely african female nursing assistant staff made me laugh and cry, simply being there serving meals and talking to patients made up for the nursing and medical staff being too busy for the patients themselves.

Farage says he wants to deal with those that cannot speak English but offers no solution to replacing the 130,000 health care service staff required should he start 'sending them back'. The NHS is struggling to cope with demands on it's service but I don't expect him to understand this and I certainly don't expect Farage to offer any solutions given that he doesn't look like he has ever queued for his GP at 06:30 in the morning or been left on a gurney in A&E for hours. :( >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    crystallad wrote: »
    I had to watch casualty (wife)
    And I thought how Unrealistic it was. Not one single accented nurse or doctor. It portrays the NHS as perfect! State brain washing !!

Such a bizarre post, first I'm sure if everyone was speaking in a forn accent, some would complain to the Beeb about that. My gran couldn't understand what was on BBC1, PC gone mad!!!!!!

Yet the entire idea that a World without accents is "perfect", just shows an, ahem, interesting mindset.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 21,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's happened to me twice, but not for a few years now. Both very uncomfortable and frustrating experiences. Having to say "sorry?" and "excuse me?" over and over is not nice!. Also messing up my prescription which took a bit of sorting out.

Most foreign healthcare workers do a great job though, but Nigel is right whether people like it or not because it does happen!.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not only English but "understandable" English.

It might be all right if you worked with people who have all sorts of accents but if you haven't then some may seem to be almost unintelligible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway.......
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Farage is at it again...

I haven't come across any doctors who can't speak English. Most speak English better than some English people :p Some Scots are difficult to understand ;-) ( I do love them though)

It's the nurses and nursing assistants who do 90 per cent of the patient interaction in hospital - the doctors are usually there for 10 minutes a day with patients whereas the nurses are there 24 hours monitoring and providing the bulk of the patient care.

And from personal experience when a relative recently spent several weeks in hospital there were serious communication issues - particularly with the elderly patients - with some of the non British staff. It's not just speaking English - the accent can be an issue too.

All Farage is saying is we need to train more of our own local NHS staff - not steal nurses from poorer countries who need them more. And they should be able to speak English clearly and be understood.

What is so wrong with that - it's total common sense!
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Farage says he wants to deal with those that cannot speak English but offers no solution to replacing the 130,000 health care service staff required should he start 'sending them back'. The NHS is struggling to cope with demands on it's service but I don't expect him to understand this and I certainly don't expect Farage to offer any solutions given that he doesn't look like he has ever queued for his GP at 06:30 in the morning or been left on a gurney in A&E for hours. :( >:(

Well it's not 130,000 workers because I expect a large % of those people can already speak the required amount of English to not be an issue. And he does propose a solution, he suggests we as a country should be training more staff for the NHS and not so reliant on overseas workers who struggle to speak English. And it's a fair point.

It all boils down to if you feel it's acceptable to visit your GP, or a hospital.. or a care home.. and feel the person you're speaking to is struggling to understand you.. and you struggle to understand them.. because they can't speak the required level of English.. in the UK. If you feel that's acceptable then fair enough. Nigel's point is rather than throw hands in the air and go "Well there's nothing we can do about it" he's suggesting we should be asking why isn't anything being done about it.
  • crystalladcrystallad Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Such a bizarre post, first I'm sure if everyone was speaking in a forn accent, some would complain to the Beeb about that. My gran couldn't understand what was on BBC1, PC gone mad!!!!!!

Yet the entire idea that a World without accents is "perfect", just shows an, ahem, interesting mindset.

But we are a multicultural society !!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    What is so wrong with that - it's total common sense!

https://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0fz81Rbvr1rqfhi2o1_250.gif
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

What a pathetic link.

What does being British and speaking English clearly have to do with your race. There were no issues with the local London staff - of multiple races - because they spoke English clearly in a local accent the elderly patients understood and were used to.

Maybe you would rather patients died through miscommunications - in the interests of being oh so PC.