Will Channel 4 and 5 HD move to 104 and 105?

Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
Forum Member
✭✭
Is there any chance of this happening soon?

Comments

• mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Need to have Channel 5 HD on all platforms before that could happen, which it won't quickly AFAIK as more people are SD than HD.
  • Reg_1994Reg_1994 Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Channel 4 has 6 macro regions for adverts on SD and Channel 5 has 5 IIRC. At the moment there is only one HD versions of both channels (London) so swapping them with the SD versions would mean viewers outside London would probably be watching the wrong adverts.
  • tvsatweektvsatweek Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should have on the sky hd box in the options or settings section something like do you want to change the channels bbc 1 bbc 2 itv channel 4 channel 5 as hd channels something like that so we choose if we want them swapped round do you want to change sd with hd
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    Need to have Channel 5 HD on all platforms before that could happen, which it won't quickly AFAIK as more people are SD than HD.

Irrelevant. It's regional variations in advertising that's stopping it.

E4, More4, ITV2/3/4's HD versions aren't on all platforms, but on Sky have been swapped to the SD channel numbers and on Virgin, haven't.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And there is the comms act " due prominence ."....
  • ktla5ktla5 Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvsatweek wrote: »
    They should have on the sky hd box in the options or settings section something like do you want to change the channels bbc 1 bbc 2 itv channel 4 channel 5 as hd channels something like that so we choose if we want them swapped round do you want to change sd with hd

Don't think Sky are allowed to do that, think they have to 'ensure' the right advert regions go to the right box
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And there is the comms act " due prominence ."....

Which wouldn't be an issue if the SD and HD versions matched each other exactly.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see BBC Three HD and BBC Four HD do the channel swap on Sky.
  • SiriusSirius Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely advertising is only relevant if viewers can't tell the difference between SD and HD and therefore settle for watching the SD variation? Has HD been a con all along?
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It already has on my TV, that is the benefit of not relying on $ky's limited and shortsighted hardware
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Which wouldn't be an issue if the SD and HD versions matched each other exactly.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see BBC Three HD and BBC Four HD do the channel swap on Sky.
    It might be ..... It is something the ;lawyers are looking at......
    because they are not "the Legacy Analogue channels"
    on the other hand the SD channels as PSB ...!!!#But there then is a Platform Neutrality and universality issues... although the Trust and 600Mhz muxes has made that more applicable for the current/ future world.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I've got an "HD-Ready" tv....but I'm quite happy with my SD reception to be honest. What's the fuss about HD??
    Is it a case of "I've got a better TV than yours" or people just want to see high definition of peoples skin and a clearer version of grass on a football pitch?? It baffles me. I just like to watch a good story on the telly. :rolleyes::confused:
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got an "HD-Ready" tv....but I'm quite happy with my SD reception to be honest. What's the fuss about HD??
    Is it a case of "I've got a better TV than yours" or people just want to see high definition of peoples skin and a clearer version of grass on a football pitch?? It baffles me. I just like to watch a good story on the telly. :rolleyes::confused:

This^^^^^
  • ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Irrelevant. It's regional variations in advertising that's stopping it.

No, it's PSB rules that are stopping it.
    101-105 are reserved for PSB channels. C4HD and C5HD are not PSB channels.
  • PemblechookPemblechook Posts: 2,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a full HD TV but hardly ever bother using HD. Seems like a flop to me like 3D and Blu-Ray.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When UTV HD launches next month it will be on 103 for NI Sky viewers with HD. Strangely, BBC ONE NI HD isn't on 101 but I believe the BBC said they are looking in to it.
  • ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a full HD TV but hardly ever bother using HD. Seems like a flop to me like 3D and Blu-Ray.

It's a major flop that the BBC is committed to making all it's channels HD by the start of next year.
    Such a major flop that smaller broadcasters are investing in it
    Such a major flop that Sky can still charge £5 for it
    Such a major flop the Freeview/Freesat HD boxes

Regarding BluRay being a flop, it is estimated that by the end of the year, BluRay sales will outweigh DVD sales for the first time ever.

Major flop.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eh?

Most people say they can't tell the difference between SD and HD, S4C HD seems to have gone off the air.

I was in a big branch of Tesco and they had zero Blu-Ray discs but loads and loads of DVDs

A local massive branch of Asda had one small section of Blu-Ray discs and loads and loads of DVDs.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most people say they can't tell the difference between SD and HD,

They need to have a look at the settings then.

When I first got HD, I was a bit unimpressed and was one of those who "couldn't tell the difference". But after doing a bit of research I found out about the BBC HD Testcard and was able to set up my TV properly; http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/12/a_christmas_present_from_the_h.html

I think a lot of people just turn the sharpness up high or go for the "vivid" preset to make everything look bright and colourful. Options like "noise reduction" and automatic enhancers are usually on by default too, which all serve to diminish the HD quality.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well. I seemed to see far more of a difference on the 32 inch Toshiba I had. I am blowed if I can see any difference on this 42 inch JVC I have now. The JVC looks bright and well set up. The Toshiba packed up on me.

No that I am really bothered. SD looks fine and I am far more interested in good content than seeing ugly pimples on somebody's face,
  • Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how the Sky layout works. The Sky HD are towards the "bottom end" but the BBC HD ones are still high up. If you have an HD box then they should arrange them like that, if not they shouldn't be. What's wrong with programming the boxes to arrange them a little more sensibly?

I have an SD box where they swap places and the HD ones are high up, but they still show up there, all of them showing a message to call Sky to get these channels. One: I already have them on by HD box and Two: - You can't get them on SD boxes anyway so why do they even appear?
  • peter05peter05 Posts: 3,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hardly a flop and it will become the norm until something better come's along, As a lot of people will be getting bigger and bigger TV's, at my age I am just glad to be able to see the picture SD or HD:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barb says the average weekly viewing for ITV1 and ITV+1 is over 4 hours. It is only 21 minutes for ITV HD. I suspect that figure wont rise much as those who are keen on watching in HD are already doing so.

I am glad to be able to see the screen at all. Had my bus pass a couple of years now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    When UTV HD launches next month it will be on 103 for NI Sky viewers with HD. Strangely, BBC ONE NI HD isn't on 101 but I believe the BBC said they are looking in to it.

Can you get UTV HD via manual tuning?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barb says the average weekly viewing for ITV1 and ITV+1 is over 4 hours. It is only 21 minutes for ITV HD. I suspect that figure wont rise much as those who are keen on watching in HD are already doing so.

I am glad to be able to see the screen at all. Had my bus pass a couple of years now.

Regardless of how good your vision may be isn't HD better than SD? If you can get HD, isn't that worthwhile as long as the cost isn't that much extra?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does look like HD sales are strong but many folks are not bothering to actually switch to the HD channels. Maybe some don't even know they have to tune to 101 or whatever?? If viewing figures remain at less than 10% the broadcasters may decide to pull the plugs on it and use the space for other channels.