Temporary mobile phone to use in USA

sibley88sibley88 Posts: 65
Forum Member
Hi All

I am planning to travel to the USA next weekend, and I will need a temporary US phone to allow me to call UK landlines and mobiles.
Using my current iPhone is out of the question thanks to £1.50/minute rates and 50p sms charges.

Does anyone know of any good US prepay packages which would be cheaper or any decent international sim package which offers decent US to UK call charges?

Comments

• DenonDaveDenonDave Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    HI

I used a Toggle Mobile sim card when in New York last month.

Calls in USA and to UK @ 3p per minute. Text messages 9p. Data 15p per Mb. No charge to receive calls. You get a permanent UK number and can add a US number which lasts 30 days.

Some people have reported problems using Toggle, but it worked fine for me. I bought a card for £2.50 from a well known auction site, which gave me £2.50 credit and the chance to check it out. Then topped up on line (£20 minimum, but they give you extra £2 credit - so total cost £22.50, total credit £24.50)

Check out Toggle web site. Card can be used in several countries.

I am not connected to Toggle in any way!
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sibley88 wrote: »
    Hi All

I am planning to travel to the USA next weekend, and I will need a temporary US phone to allow me to call UK landlines and mobiles.
    Using my current iPhone is out of the question thanks to £1.50/minute rates and 50p sms charges.

Does anyone know of any good US prepay packages which would be cheaper or any decent international sim package which offers decent US to UK call charges?

Why don't you get your current provider to unlock your iPhone (many can do it really quickly), and then buy one of those dedicated travel SIMs (Truphone, Holiday Phone), or go into a phone store when you get there and get a PAYG SIM from AT&T or T-Mobile?

That's still likely to be cheaper than buying another phone!

Personally I have a Tru SIM, and that's about 10p for calls, 10p for texts and 20p per MB for data. It's still not super-cheap for data, but it does at least let you use maps or look stuff up on the net when you're out and about. I find it convenient because they give you a phone number, and that's permanently yours for whenever you travel. They're reasonably cheap in the EU as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got a Straight Talk SIM card from Walmart when I got there a few weeks ago. We were on the West Coast for 4 weeks. I used a nano SIM card cutter to cut it down so it'd fit in my iPhone 5.

$45 top up got me unlimited data, unlimited texts and loads of minutes. Would very much recommend it we had no issues at all. It runs on AT&T's network.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a three sim, they have free data roaming now in the USA we'll I think so
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    Get a three sim, they have free data roaming now in the USA we'll I think so

Good point, but is that live yet?
  • sibley88sibley88 Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Some good ideas there, a roaming sim may be a better option. Cant really unlock the iPhone without voiding the warranty or paying a silly price to the network but I do have an old unlocked phone I can use while there.
    3p a min to call a UK mobile on Toggle does sound good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some good ideas there, a roaming sim may be a better option. Cant really unlock the iPhone without voiding the warranty or paying a silly price to the network but I do have an old unlocked phone I can use while there.

Which provider are you with, and how long have you been with them. Many of them will unlock the phone for free on contract, and you don't have to be at the end of it.

Some only charge £10-20 - again, still cheaper than buying another phone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unless your phone was bought SIM free from Apple, you'd need to unlock with any SIM whether it's international or UK. It's usually as simple as filling out a form on their website and then putting another SIM card in.
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    Good point, but is that live yet?

Not sure, hence the 'I think' might be worth investigating though.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joel's dad wrote: »
    Not sure, hence the 'I think' might be worth investigating though.:)

It's not. It's just a rumour from a poster on here, albeit one with a good history of pre-release info.

Not official or working yet though.
  • sibley88sibley88 Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Which provider are you with, and how long have you been with them. Many of them will unlock the phone for free on contract, and you don't have to be at the end of it.

Some only charge £10-20 - again, still cheaper than buying another phone.

I am currently with T mobile, have been with them about 4 years. I am on a friends and family discount, which carried over from when I used to work for T mobile retail.
    I could try calling them I guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently with T mobile, have been with them about 4 years. I am on a friends and family discount, which carried over from when I used to work for T mobile retail.
    I could try calling them I guess.

Here's the online form: https://explore.ee.co.uk/unlock

I seem to remember someone posting on here that they're not that quick, so worth following up the online request with a phone call!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but Straight Talk gives you unlimited data. I've never heard of Toggle to be honest but Straight Talk is quite popular with Americans as it is sold ok Walmart.
  • natbikenatbike Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have used Toggle for just over a year. No problems and the prices are correct - 3p per min back to the UK, 15p per MB for data in lots of countries. Free incoming calls in Europe/USA/Australia/India etc.

It is part of Lycamobile group, so not necessarily an unknown provider.

They also allow you to port your UK number to them, If you do this it guarantees that you won't have issues with billing like you sometimes get on other smaller UK MVNOs.

It makes it easy to get a SIM before you arrive, though cheap data would be better on a local SIM once you arrive.