Options

Anti Virus Software Paranoia

0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was going to buy Kaspersky based on reviews but I stopped because I understand it's a Russian company and may be rather lackadaisical with my privacy/files etc.

I bought Norton instead. I recognize the stupidity of this position as I know American companies are no more likely to respect my privacy. But I felt it was the least worst option.

What do the rest of you think?

Comments

• Options
    Ben_FisherBen_Fisher Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    I was going to buy Kaspersky based on reviews but I stopped because I understand it's a Russian company and may be rather lackadaisical with my privacy/files etc.

I bought Norton instead. I recognize the stupidity of this position as I know American companies are no more likely to respect my privacy. But I felt it was the least worst option.

Ermm... Don't buy any!? Use windows defender with the odd scan with spybot and malwarebytes.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I got Kaspersky free via Barclays. It's been very good for me.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ben_Fisher wrote: »
    Ermm... Don't buy any!? Use windows defender with the odd scan with spybot and malwarebytes.

I wouldn't be confident of Windows Defender protecting my system.
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Russian secret services (KGB) or the NSA it don't make much difference if you think that way but as they say "in soviet union virus catch you"
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Kaspersky is the Internet security software of choice in my house. Nothing wrong with it, it works very well and keeps the nasties at bay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    Pay for AV product : Kaspersky
    Free AV product : Avast or AVG
    Free AV product for older/modest spec PC's : Panda CloudAntivirus

Manual update/full-scan once a week with Malwarebytes for belt+braces detection.

I wouldn't recommend MS Defender/Essentials to a dog I didn't like !
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greyowl wrote: »
    ...Free AV product : Avast or AVG...!
    Avira and definitely not AVG

http://chart.av-comparatives.org/chart1.php
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You bought Norton, so it's a done deal.

Yes, you are being paranoid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »

Does the Avira free version give anything like the same realtime protection as the paid-for product ?
    If it doesn't I'd compare Avira to another pay product like Kaspersky, not products that have free versions like Avast and AVG.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies! I am still paranoid though! May just disconnect from the net and write on a piece of paper! :p
  • Options
    El CubidoEl Cubido Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Bitdefender Free any good?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    El Cubido wrote: »
    Is Bitdefender Free any good?

Tried BitDefender once and didn't like how it didn't seem to have an options section. It's like it was wanting to take full control of everything it did. I didn't really leave it on my system long enough to see how good it was at detecting viruses. This might have taken a while though.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I prefer kaspersky to norton.

I ont mind paying for virus protection. I cant see how you can expect that research to be free
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant see how you can expect that research to be free

In some cases it's paid for by the software and systems the devs supply to big corporations, the free versions meaning no one has an excuse not to be protected.

If that method didn't work then it wouldn't have lasted as long and I've been using free AV and firewall software since 2005. It's a tactic the AV companies borrowed from other software sectors.
  • Options
    standinmanstandinman Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Go MAC then you won't need anti virus ,well it's an option :-)
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect you mean "Mac" (not all capitals - different meaning). Or to be more specific "Mac OSX". But let's not be contentious. The OP has obviously spent his money on a PC that won't run OSX so it's a waste of time even to suggest it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    standinman wrote: »
    Go MAC then you won't need anti virus ,well it's an option :-)

Macs aren't immune from viruses. What makes you think they are?
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Macs aren't immune from viruses. What makes you think they are?

He said you won't need it, and to be fair you won't because the Mac OS already has XProtect built in which is Apples antimalware/virus engine. Its seamless and never really seen by the user and offers a basic defence again the handful of Mac nastys out there on the Internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »
    He said you won't need it, and to be fair you won't because the Mac OS already has XProtect built in which is Apples antimalware/virus engine. Its seamless and never really seen by the user and offers a basic defence again the handful of Mac nastys out there on the Internet.

Windows has a built-in antivirus package, but this doesn't mean that you won't need a better one. Why did the poster say "Go MAC" for then? This indicates that they meant that Macs won't be vulnerable to viruses.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I trust the Russians more than the Americans, hence I use kaspersky.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »

Yeah but it's useful to have AV software on a Mac. I share files with the Dark Side a lot so it's handy to have. I also have a Windows partition to maintain so I need it on that.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member

Norton's fine. 360 may be better than just the AV. Depends which you like between it and the other good paid for systems. The bigger, and more global the AV supplier is is the more likely it will know if the site you are going to has nasties all over it. US companies gives you commercial interests and the N S A, Russia has lots of hackers -which is either good or bad for writing a good AV system - and the KGB are actually in charge of the country.

Paranoia is justified given the amount of malware about at the moment. My Norton has just picked up two fake download pop ups on a major global newspaper site - one for flash and one for firefox., the fake java download is about again too - you would think the site owners would keep that sort of site safe - but no.

Stick malwarebytes on the computer too. If you buy it, it provides additional realtime blocking, and works with it and Norton both running. and if you stick to the free version, you can run it everynow and again , or when Norton detects anything, for added peace of mind.