Options

Does JJ understand what "Banter" means ?

ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm from the west coast of Scotland and "Banter" does not mean "To bait" here, it's just comical, funny talking.
What does it mean where you live ?

Comments

• Options
    adwaltonadwalton Posts: 4,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valerian wrote: »
    I'm from the west coast of Scotland and "Banter" does not mean "To bait" here, it's just comical, funny talking.

Concise Oxford Dictionary: 'Banter.' Humerous ridicule. To make fun of, talk jokingly.
  • Options
    reishunreishun Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he's delirious if he thinks neither his nor Rachael's insults had malice behind them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,130
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I live on the south side of the Galapagos Islands when every Friday at noon all the villagers set off to the north sands where we all stand in a line in front of the villagers from The North side and we slag the cr@p out of each other until everyone cries. The tears are then bottled and sold as Banter.
  • Options
    janceejancee Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed that he used the term wrongly as well, OP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adwalton wrote: »
    Concise Oxford Dictionary: 'Banter.' Humerous ridicule. To make fun of, talk jokingly.

I don't have LF, so was JJ saying that Rachel got him to talk about Nathan in a joking way ? If so, is that what has caused all this trouble :confused:
  • Options
    KFAKFA Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're all wrong, it's MINT banter of course
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member

Same here in Wales! ;-)
    jancee wrote: »
    I noticed that he used the term wrongly as well, OP.

Annoyingly he says it all the time too. :mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member

ditto..........in other words ripping the pi$s:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't have LF, so was JJ saying that Rachel got him to talk about Nathan in a joking way ? If so, is that what has caused all this trouble :confused:

It was more bitchy sarcasm than banter, digs about his looks, his attitude, and so on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tease joke ect where I'm from
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe where he is from it means what they were doing. As far as I know, English is my second language. I learned English in the US, and living in the UK for couple years now, and in both places, it just means making fun of each other, back and forth. BUt I cant fault him, it could even be just a term they wronfully use in his circle. Someone should pull him on it though. Because if they dont, its not is fault, he thinks everyone gets what he is saying.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Banter" is this year's excuse for obnoxiousness and bitching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its kinda loosely used in place of rippin the right cr@p out of someone in defence if its taken badly, hence, "it was only a bit of banter"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, JJ is saying it was just banter after he got caught slagging off Nathan, when Nathan was behind the mirror.
    Have I got it right ?
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did JJ actually say "banter" meant to bait?

Or did he just call something baiting that someone else thinks was banter?

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, JJ is saying it was just banter after he got caught slagging off Nathan, when Nathan was behind the mirror.
    Have I got it right ?

Does JJ say "banter" whenever he is describing the tone of a conversation in the build up to how he dominate's an argument?

Or Does he see banter as an invitation for an aggressive argument?
  • Options
    Lou17Lou17 Posts: 30,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Banter' - Having a laugh but taking the p*ss at the same time, but all in good jest.