Options

Woman's body found in missing mother and baby search in Bristol

Comments

• Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You still don't get locked in. It's not a prison.

I didn't say it should be locked. I do think it's strange that nobody noticed her leaving at that time of the evening bearing in mind that she was mentally unwell.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    I didn't say it should be locked. I do think it's strange that nobody noticed her leaving at that time of the evening bearing in mind that she was mentally unwell.

If she wasn't showing any outward signs (distress, verbal suicidal tendencies, manic episodes etc etc) how was anyone to know what she was thinking/planning?

It's truly a tragic case and one that has been on my mind best part of today but I don't, in all honesty, feel that I can criticise anybody until all facts are known.
  • Options
    viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who do you think is going to notice? There didn't seem to be anyone around. It was late at night, visiting hours were over. The nurses at the machines seemed to be the only people in the pictures released but she hadn't left at that point and there's no reason why they should have stopped her. They might not have even been working on the maternity ward let alone known who she was and that she had mental health issues.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She murdered the child. I'm sorry. I dont have too much sympathy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »
    Who do you think is going to notice? There didn't seem to be anyone around. It was late at night, visiting hours were over. The nurses at the machines seemed to be the only people in the pictures released but she hadn't left at that point and there's no reason why they should have stopped her. They might not have even been working on the maternity ward let alone known who she was and that she had mental health issues.

Can you imagine the outcry if hospitals and the like were on permanent "lock down" and people weren't allowed their freedom?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thankfully many have, myself included.
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    I do believe there are maternity units around the uk now that place "tags" on newborns so they cant be taken off without rhyme or reason.
    I don't normally feel too much when watching the news but I feel so sorry for this mother and especially her baby.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope you never have the misfortune to suffer mental health issues which then make you do something unimaginable.
  • Options
    JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You say that because you have no understanding of mental illness. Perhaps you should educate yourself on the impact mental illness has on a sufferer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jocolah wrote: »
    You say that because you have no understanding of mental illness. Perhaps you should educate yourself on the impact mental illness has on a sufferer.

Coupled with just having given birth.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can only hope that you or your family never ever suffer from severe mental health problems as you seem to have zero understanding of the complexity of such problems and the depth of distress they can cause. both the individual and those close to them :(
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    francie wrote: »
    Coupled with just having given birth.

And the massive changes in hormones associated with giving birth can exacerbate existing mental health problems as well as bring on new problems in a very short space of time.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vierte wrote: »

Indeed. The last couple of times I have been in hospital I have left late at night or in the early hours.

People come and go all hours of the day and night - some people just want to get home, new mothers included.
  • Options
    humanracerhumanracer Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it would have made a difference had the mother's mental illness been made clear from the start. The police were just saying a mother had walked out of hospital with her baby. I am sure most people remember the case a few months ago where a young boy was taken out of hospital so he could have treatment in another country. Many people would have perhaps thought this was a similar case or perhaps some kind of custody dispute. Perhaps had it been known that she was suffering from mental illness then the general public would have gone out looking for her and stopped her from killing herself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the massive changes in hormones associated with giving birth can exacerbate existing mental health problems as well as bring on new problems in a very short space of time.

I was going to explain (hormonal changes) but the original poster doesn't seem to have a clue about mental illness so I thought adding hormones into the mix would just frazzle them ;-)

I do agree with your comments btw.
  • Options
    mintoemintoe Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shed a few tears at this very sad news today. We will probably never know what was going through the Mum's mind when she did this but no doubt it would have been logical to her. I hope that Charlotte and baby Zaani Rest in Peace and the Family find the strength to get through this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Seems like you had a fair level of security so not sure why you didn't see it.

Maybe just didn't notice it?

Most people would find it a little strange.

True! It was quite a secure place now that I think about it. Mothers were encouraged to bathe their babies in the available facilities before being discharged and even when staff could see the mother wheeling the little cot with the bath supplies on it they asked where they were going.

Buzzing to go into the place there were a fair number of people (new mums, visitors) gathered around smoking but I never saw anyone outside with their baby unless they were going home, I went to L&D around 3 times over four days so six trips there and back and nobody was just walking out with a baby, even when I buzzed to get in I had to explain what I was there for, even at the 1am trip which was well past visiting hours.

It is extremely sad that nobody noticed her leaving or noticed sooner that she had gone :( she was gone within half an hour of her boyfriend leaving and a nurse checking, so she seemed very determined to get out of there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    humanracer wrote: »
    I wonder if it would have made a difference had the mother's mental illness been made clear from the start. The police were just saying a mother had walked out of hospital with her baby. I am sure most people remember the case a few months ago where a young boy was taken out of hospital so he could have treatment in another country. Many people would have perhaps thought this was a similar case or perhaps some kind of custody dispute. Perhaps had it been known that she was suffering from mental illness then the general public would have gone out looking for her and stopped her from killing herself.

I do think that post natal depression is seen as a small thing you'll get over quickly though.
    Its not.
    When I had my first baby I felt so down I kept shutting the curtains around our bed.
    I just wanted to be with my baby without the rest of the ward and nurses interfering.
    There was even a day i didn't want any visitors including my husband.
    Thankfully it didn't last but there must be different degrees of post natal depression...some more severe.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think that post natal depression is seen as a small thing you'll get over quickly though.
    Its not.
    When I had my first baby I felt so down I kept shutting the curtains around our bed.
    I just wanted to be with my baby without the rest of the ward and nurses interfering.
    There was even a day i didn't want any visitors including my husband.
    Thankfully it didn't last but there must be different degrees of post natal depression...some more severe.

With my PND I was the opposite.. I palmed my daughter off with her dad, grandparents.. anyone really. :blush: Took over 6 months before I started bonding with her.

Such sad news today.. I cried a little.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The severest form of Post Natal Depression called Puerperal Psychosis. I wasn't really surprised at the tragic outcome and I'm feeling so sad for Charlotte's family. It's harrowing even just trying to imagine the turmoil she went through when she should have been enjoying the precious early days with her baby. To mention murder is just plain ignorance.
    RIP Charlotte and Zaani
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can vividly remember feeling very paranoid 3/4 days after my son was born. This was in the days when you stayed in hospital 5 days after the birth.

I thought everyone wanted him. I carried him around with me and was suspicious of anyone who looked at him or touched him. It was overwhelming. If another mother on the ward so much as glanced his way I was filled with fear and panic. I hardly slept for 2 night in case someone took him.

And I don't have schizophrenia. Heaven knows what torments she went through. :(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    With my PND I was the opposite.. I palmed my daughter off with her dad, grandparents.. anyone really. :blush: Took over 6 months before I started bonding with her.

Such sad news today.. I cried a little.

Me too.
    Its news that's very human and tugs at your heart strings.
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Getting fed up of hearing about people killing themselves and their children. Hope they burn in help.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Portsmouth maternity unit is a secure one
  • Options
    nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has really made me feel quite emotional over the last couple of days :(

Charlotte is the same age as myself and I too have recently given birth to a baby girl, I cannot begin to imagine what must of been going through her mind or how alone she must of felt to do what has happened. The poor woman :(

Am I surprised she managed to slip away un-noticed... no not really, post natal wards are very understaffed or they are in the area I live in, not too far from bristol. If she appeared to be coping fine I would Imagine she was just left to it on the ward, unless you are ringing your bell continuously you are lucky if you see any member of staff for hours, also if her other half had just left its a possibility there was many visitors still on the ward just leaving and I expect curtains were pulled round each mothers beds and the ward would of been quite loud. My local hospital has also stopped using the electronic bands that set off an alarm if you leave the ward with baby before you are discharged.

I have four children and the last two times I have been in on post natal I have experienced new mums crying with frustration they cannot feed their baby themselves and that their baby is crying uncontrollably because they are hungry and because they can pick up on the tension from the mum... I have seen ward staff tut and roll their eyes at these new mums :(:( If a mum has mental health issues and things like this happen I would imagine this would spiral, I found it distressing that these 1st time mums were receiving very little support and would probably go home tired, exhausted and very emotional having not had a good experience on the ward.

Gone a bit off topic but feel better for typing it....I hope Charlotte is at peace now with her baby girl x