Options

Do emigrants always tend to hate their own country or love it too much?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,841
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Well, I have recently found that there are 2 types of emigrants, particularly Russian ones:
Those who miss their motherland, and even tend to rant about the country, they moved to, they listen to crappy music, which they hated back then etc, and those, who hate country they came from, and even can't stand literally everything, related with the homeland and its surroundings.

And he doesn't care about good things happening in the country, he just hates it on emotional level, and that's it.

For example, my friend(i mentioned him over million times) has been living in the UK for 7 years, and he don't want to hear anything about his home country, he just enjoys his wealthy life here, in London. (and he's particularly mad about everything Japanese, and he knows Japanese quite properly, aside from English and Russian, which seem to be 2 native langs for him)

Well, what do you think?

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My only experience of ex-pats is the British who live in Spain

Stereotypically they tend to hate Britain because it's full of foreigners and they hate Spain because it's full of foreigners
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,873
    Forum Member
    I don't hate the UK. I just don't have any desire to live there again.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    Can you not love both countries ? The one you come from and the one you now live in .? Of course you can . I know many many who do .,
  • Options
    steve781steve781 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand why people want to leave this country. But i wish they would stop rubbing how much better everything is elsewhere in our faces all the time..
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt very British when I lived in ~Germany.

I missed a lot of stupid things.

I didn't hate Germany, great place, but I did appreciate things I took for granted at home.

(Mostly the tea).
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I felt very British when I lived in ~Germany.

I missed a lot of stupid things.

I didn't hate Germany, great place, but I did appreciate things I took for granted at home.

(Mostly the tea).

Pack some typhoo bags.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »

Stereotypically they tend to hate Britain because it's full of foreigners and they hate Spain because it's full of foreigners

Some people are miserable whichever country they're in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    Pack some typhoo bags.

Everyone who visited home would bring back a TON of English tea - the place where I worked was nearly always supplied.

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,873
    Forum Member
    Everyone who visited home would bring back a TON of English tea - the place where I worked was nearly always supplied.

:D

We always get people to bring After Eights and Walkers Crisps (especially cheese and onion)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Claratana wrote: »
    We always get people to bring After Eights and Walkers Crisps (especially cheese and onion)

I was going to mention the crisps, no cheese and onion in Germany:eek::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Germany do the best bread and sausages, so swings and roundabouts.
  • Options
    PinkPetuniaPinkPetunia Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I was going to mention the crisps, no cheese and onion in Germany:eek::D

But the delicious paprika flavoured ones make up for it
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    Germany do the best bread and sausages, so swings and roundabouts.
    But the delicious paprika flavoured ones make up for it

I just adored their fresh bread rolls. Paprika Crisps are just delicious as is their chocolate. :D
  • Options
    Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haha! I know someone like this. I find it hilarious.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum is from Singapore and still loves the place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you not love both countries ? The one you come from and the one you now live in .? Of course you can . I know many many who do .,

Well, If I move to the UK, i will love both countries, im pretty sure
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed things about Britain when I lived abroad (tea, fish and chips) but nothing drastic. I certainly didn't hate Britain :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I missed things about Britain when I lived abroad (tea, fish and chips) but nothing drastic. I certainly didn't hate Britain :eek:

Well, here's the true division of emigrants
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=102271467&postcount=12
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

:D Excellent, and very true.

It surely depends partly on why people have emigrated. If it is to get a better job, or because they have married someone from that country, they are likely to suffer from homesickness. If it is to flee war and persecution, not so much. Also I think it is easier on the whole for young people to assimilate, which doesn't mean they don't take pride in their national origins. And there can be a gender difference. Some of the Ugandan Asian women who came to Britain in the 1970's seem barely to have learned a single word of English; their husbands had to go out to work, so they learned English language and customs, but it is quite common to find older women who literally seem to have moved in an Indian bubble for the last 40 years.