Options

Advice re answering complaint emails

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
Forum Member
✭✭
I work as a manager in a company, and one of the tasks I perform (though it is not specifically my job, just one small part of it) is to answer complaint mails from customers.

Yesterday someone from our corporate office forwarded a link to a website, where someone had made a negative comment about our company. It was literally only one sentence from an anonymous blogger. I was then asked by my manager to investigate this 'complaint' and try to contact the person etc.

Frankly, I refused to do this, for the following reasons -

1. It's NOT a complaint. Anyone who wants to complain to our company can contact us and we will obviously respond and deal with the issue.

2. It's an opinion, and an anonymous opinion at that.

3. The sentence was extremely vague, with no details, context or description to verify the comment.

4. Like every other major company, no matter how good they are they will ALWAYS have negative comments posted on websites, including this one.

Now the question is, can a company force a manager to get involved in such matters if the employee refuses? As I said, answering complaints is part of my job description, but as I said earlier, these are not technically complaints.

My personal feeling on this is an 'all or nothing' scenario. You should either ignore such things completely, because they will always happen and you will never stop people posting comments on website - I believe it's futile to try and stop it from happening. However, if a company decides it wants to deal with such issues on websites and social media sites, then employ people to do it. Some large companies do, such as Transport For London. I know they answer their comments on Facebook, for example.

But I was wondering where I stand on the issue of refusing to get involved in this type of thing.

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    could you post something under the comment to the effect that you`re sorry they had a bad experience and if they get in touch you`ll be happy to see if you can resolve the issue?
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ted,

Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with your views on the matter I think you know the answer.

Technically they can't force you to do anything but it is part of your job.

But there is more to it isn't there.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago I worked for a major Heating appliance manufacturer and we always buried our dead, not allowing any negative comments or outstanding complaints to be out in the Public Domain. It was a nice positive feeling to be employed in such an environment. I think you should deal with the problem and I know you are capable of making it go away and not alienating the heirarchy in the mean time.
    Just my pennyworth of advice.
  • Options
    CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Seacam said. In my company it's known as a 'reasonable request' and if you refuse the request you'd better be sure you can demonstrate it was an unreasonable request or disciplinary action can follow.
  • Options
    fainéantfainéant Posts: 2,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see anything unreasonable in what you have been asked to do, so your employer has done nothing wrong. Businesses that take customer service seriously will always react to any expression of disatisfaction and look for ways to improve even further.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    could you post something under the comment to the effect that you`re sorry they had a bad experience and if they get in touch you`ll be happy to see if you can resolve the issue?
    This, if it's just an anonymous blogger.
    I understand your view that, as a one off remark it's best left rather than draw attention to it but your Line Managers may have a genuine ethos of "service recovery".
    Certainly, when I dealt with complaints the most disgruntled customers were often the most impressed when they were actually listened to.
    You've been asked to perform a reasonable and positive action.
    If you feel that strongly you could make it clear you're happy to comply but ask why they think an anonymous opinion is worth pursuing.
    They may, of course, feel the question shouldn't need to be asked.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What Seacam said. In my company it's known as a 'reasonable request' and if you refuse the request you'd better be sure you can demonstrate it was an unreasonable request or disciplinary action can follow.

Totally agree - also with fainéant's comments.

It's up to the company to decide what is important and what is not - not you - at least not until you become the CEO.
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We use a flowchart similar to this http://articles.bplans.com/social-media-response-flow-chart/
    to decide whether to respond or not to comments over Social Media - In this case I think doing nothing would be better rather than to highlight the blog - but I guess you can only do what you are asked within your job description
  • Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no legal or moral issue in what you've been asked to do and you seem to be making a stand on a ridiculously trivial point, hardly worth damaging your career for is it?
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see the OPs point to an extent. Answering direct complaints is different to monitoring Social Media/websites for negative comments. We have a dedicated team who monitor Social Media and pick up on that kind of thing. But if the OPs company is small then that might not be possible. It's the way forward and might be something that increases in the future.

It would be worthwhile asking for clarification whether this is a one off event or if it's a new task he will be asked to add to his work.

Look on it was a positive! New skills are always good to learn.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All you have to do is is ask if the blogger would like to elaborate on his/her point with a view to investigate and possibly improve on what they felt was wrong. The blogger doesn't have to respond, but at least you've done your bit. Even if they don't respond, if you contact the blogger via the public comments section, it's good PR for the company as as it looks as if it is actively seeking to listen to and act on people's opinions.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whenever I see a company get involved in social media in that way I feel they are confused.

Publicly stated opinions need a make-over initiated at management level, not the complaints department!

Won't help the OP of course, management often play "follow the leader" with anything new. You will probably have to go along with their delusion.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Not my job" is not the correct solution to this issue, especially from a 'Manager'.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,991
    Forum Member
    You may think it's futile but your boss obviously doesn't and until you're in the position to decide what types of feedback your department deals with, you thinking it's futile is irrelevant IMO.

As someone said above, it's a reasonable request. On where you stand on refusing to action the request, I think you know the answer. You can choose to refuse but your management can also choose to talk to you for refusing to do what is a reasonable request. If everybody refused to do what is asked because their personal opinion is its pointless then nobody would get anywhere.
  • Options
    Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could always just leave it a few days then tell your manager you've attempted to contact the blog poster so you can carry out an 'investigation' but either a) you weren't able to track them down or b) they haven't responded to your email - choose whichever sounds more plausible to you. Explain to your manager that as it's a single sentence of complaint, you can't reasonably investigate without first establishing further details. Or alternatively just don't do anything and hope your manager loses interest/forgets about it (don't knock it, I have a forgetful boss with a short attention span and this tactic has worked well for me on several occasions when he's wanted me to do some sisyphean task).

Having seen the really horrible abuse that my employer (a public transport company) gets on Twitter and Facebook, I really feel sorry for the people who deal with social media streams for big companies day to day. If it were me, I'd prefer not engage with people who frame valid complaints in such awful terms but then I suppose you'd run the risk of the business appearing faceless and disinterested. For better or worse we have to accept that these days social media and the internet have the potential to make or break a business. In my spare time I am involved with a small charitable organisation which has really benefitted from the exposure you can gain on Facebook, but which has also had to deal with a number of troll attacks and people who like to grind axes in public.
  • Options
    oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Hi

I would just do as you were told
    As a manager I assume you tell others what to do, what would your reaction be to the retort "nothing to do with me guv" as you have refused to do as you were told the harms done as an apparent authority in your company and as a manager why are you asking complete unknowns what to do

It would be great if your boss read this I doubt he/she can sack you but your promotion chances have gone down
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Not my job" is not the correct solution to this issue, especially from a 'Manager'.

It's a pretty disgraceful attitude for somebody paid to do a job isn't it :D
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In guessing your company doesn't have a complaints policy. If I was you I would find one you liked online, adopt it and show it to your manager so that this confusion doesn't happen again. In the policy you need to identify who does what etc
    In the meantime I would just comment to the blogger that you would be happy to discuss the icomment if he wished to identify himself and explain his issue in more detail. He won't, so that kind if ends it.
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a shocking and disappointing attitude from a "manager".
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    Come on Ted, be honest, this anonymous blogger with the complaint is you isn't it? :D
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭