Options

HDTV and FreeView

Hi,

I am planning to buy HDTV 32 inch for my bed room. I don't have sky but is it possible to use 'freeview box' for HDTV?

Comments

• Options
    bronsonbronson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    bronson wrote:
    No.

Well Freeview HDTV trials are ongoing at present in london but in the short term its a no, at least until analogue is switched off :)
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    But you can use an HDTV to display an SD picture as output from a standard Freeview box or from elsewhere. That is, HDTV's are backwards compatible.

From all accounts though you need to see what an SD signal looks like on the HDTV as some are apparently better than others at coping with this.
  • Options
    Laura_AngelLaura_Angel Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote:
    But you can use an HDTV to display an SD picture as output from a standard Freeview box or from elsewhere. That is, HDTV's are backwards compatible.

From all accounts though you need to see what an SD signal looks like on the HDTV as some are apparently better than others at coping with this.

Which standard Freeview box can work with HDTV?
  • Options
    fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any standard Freeview box will display a picture in Standard Definition a TV that is HD Ready. However, at the moment there are no boxes commercially available that will allow you to watch a High Definition picture from a Freeview source. If you want a box to give High definition pictures you'll need either Sky HD or Telewest TV Drive - be aware that these require a monthly subscription, but you do get a lot more channels than are on Freeview.
  • Options
    Laura_AngelLaura_Angel Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Any standard Freeview box will display a picture in Standard Definition a TV that is HD Ready. However, at the moment there are no boxes commercially available that will allow you to watch a High Definition picture from a Freeview source. If you want a box to give High definition pictures you'll need either Sky HD or Telewest TV Drive - be aware that these require a monthly subscription, but you do get a lot more channels than are on Freeview.

Thanks for info man.. That is what I wanted to know :)

Yeah Standard Definition is just enough for me at the moment.. so I will get any standard Freeview box for HDTV :) I am not too bother with High definition pictures yet..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member

Yeah Standard Definition is just enough for me at the moment.. so I will get any standard Freeview box for HDTV :) I am not too bother with High definition pictures yet..

you usually get a scart cable in the box use that, if you dont get ine in the pack pick one up for a better picture :)
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Lots of HD TVs already have Freeview built in, that's something to look out for when comparing prices.