Options

Help with a straight forward VCR

Hi

I recently purchased a Wharfedale DV832BN set top box and it is working just fine in so far as I just want to watch TV. The trouble that I am having is that I can't record anything on my VCR. According to the box manual, when it is in standby mode, the VCR is supposed to go straight through to the television which it does for playback. The problem is that it doesn't record anything from terestrial TV.

I have tried to used the auto-tune with both the set top box switched on and in standby but it doesn't recognise anything. At the moment I have had to retune it with the set top box excluded and when I want to record anything I have to rewire for terestrial only. I would also like to be able to record off digital if this is possible.

It would be appreciated if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks

Comments

• Options
    broadzbroadz Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you say you can't record anything, do you mean you can't record either Freeview or terrestrial analogue channels? Are you sure you've got your aerial lead going into your VCR, and a scart connection between your Freeview box and your video recorder? Without your aerial lead going into the video, auto-tune will never find anything.

Ideally you would want aerial lead from roof into Freeview, from Freeview into VCR, from VCR into TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should have your rooftop aerial connected to your freeview box and then another rf cable connected from the freeview box rf out to the vcr's rf in. This allows the freeview box to pickup the digital channels whilst looping-through the rf signal to the vcr to allow it to pick up the analogue ones.

To record from the freeview box you need to set your VCR to AV1 or whatever it calls the scart socket that the freeview box is connected to.

Some freeview boxes have an rf modulator built in, which means that they output a channel that you can tune into with your vcr in the same way as you tune into the analogue channels. The vast majority of freeview boxes, including the Wharfdale, don't have an rf modulator. They are designed to connect to your vcr purely by scart.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And remember....

The only way to record digital is via the SCART connection between the VCR and the Wharfedale box. And you cannot record and watch two different digital channels at the same time.