I hope BT sport loose the EPL next time, their in prog adverts drive me nuts

2»

Comments

• Steve1977Steve1977 Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing the OP has never seen a game on Sky? They're even advertising stuff on their movie channels on there now LMFAO.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve1977 wrote: »
    I'm guessing the OP has never seen a game on Sky? They're even advertising stuff on their movie channels on there now LMFAO.

I've seen it during presentation/punditry but not during play.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    GBCULLEN wrote: »
    I have a day off today so trying to watch a bit of Footie but whoever gave BT the rights needs a stiff talking to. NOT only do I Have to suffer some very bad commentators and summarisers, that I can switch off but the idea of advertising programmes during the match is NOT ON in my book. It is apparent these progs are very poor standard hence the need to flog them but they keep on advertising upcoming games as well! Its never ending. Why cant they flog these during the ad breaks??

Is this the norm for BT? Can I complain ???

The only problem is if BT get away with it, sky will follow and then it will lead to actual ads like the usa do.

A GREAT GAME RUINED

They never have ads during the games, what are you smoking? lol they have a break before kick off like they do on Sky and ITV (usually pointless as its just one advert) but I have never seen BT advertise in the games so what are going on about? I dont get it.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,527
    Forum Member
    Point is, they both have bad points about their coverage and it's down to personal preference which annoys you least - but competition is needed to at least control the bad. For me, the BT Box and outside interviews (needing pumpkin mic shields or umbrellas) - bonkers. Both of them: advertising/promoing other stuff during matches (however it's done is distracting). Sky: their Internet streaming is inferior to BT's.

I just hope they both learn from their bad points, though I won't be holding my breath waiting for it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    The bigger issue for me was the change of camera angle by BT Sports at WHL, very low and flat. I know the normal angle is a bit too high but this lower one is awful. :(

Thought only Sky Sports were shoving this low angle down everyone's throats, apparently not. I only hope is that one day you will get a choice of camera angle.
  • pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    I've seen it during presentation/punditry but not during play.

I think it will only be a matter of time that we hear the likes of Martin Tyler advertising something coming up on Sky Atlantic or Sky One during a game.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a day off today so trying to watch a bit of Footie but whoever gave BT the rights needs a stiff talking to. NOT only do I Have to suffer some very bad commentators and summarisers, that I can switch off but the idea of advertising programmes during the match is NOT ON in my book. It is apparent these progs are very poor standard hence the need to flog them but they keep on advertising upcoming games as well! Its never ending. Why cant they flog these during the ad breaks??

Is this the norm for BT? Can I complain ???

The only problem is if BT get away with it, sky will follow and then it will lead to actual ads like the usa do.

A GREAT GAME RUINED

Sky already do advertise their upcoming games during matches.
  • melonfarmermelonfarmer Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Not sure if it is my poor BT broadband but their BT app, on which I watched the footy today, is poor quality. The picture often breaks up or spools. Also, there is a white box in the top right for no discernible reason. Have to watch it on the app as the internet stream is unwatchable for the same reasons. I was sold up the river when it turned out my BT broadband speed wasn't good enough to enable me to have BT sport channels.

I feel better for telling you all that.

The Fletch and Sav show and documentary plugs were too much. The Jose in vision when the penalty occurred was annoying.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    The use of the BT BOX is getting stupid and they've made it bigger.
    And they did over-do it with the Crazy Gang promos including having a large graphic in the top left of the screen for a time during the game which IMHO is very unprofessional.

But BT's idiot bosses have been trying to go at BT Sport in a US style from the start...
    Just look at where they have the channel logo and the scorebar..Bottom of the screen!
    And during live broadcasts, the logo is STILL a solid colour, for NO reason other than to piss you off and distract you!
    Pitchside presentation in ALL weather!
    A desk with the channel logo on it at the pitchside for NO reason other than to look pretty!
    Most of their magazine shows have the word 'Tonight' in them, much like ESPN (US) has had for decades!
    I wouldn't mind if BT were being original but its not. Its been done to death in the US and they had to change it because viewers were getting pissed off at it.
    Inscreen second-screen while a reply is on. Onscreen ads for more and more stuff.
    All we need next is BT to add a news ticker at the bottom and they've gone the whole hog!
    Its a sham and that disappoints me because they instead of looked at Sky and saw what they could improve on, some BT-moron decided to put his cowboy hat on and make BT Sport an American cousin!
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,527
    Forum Member
    Not sure if it is my poor BT broadband but their BT app, on which I watched the footy today, is poor quality. The picture often breaks up or spools. Also, there is a white box in the top right for no discernible reason. Have to watch it on the app as the internet stream is unwatchable for the same reasons. I was sold up the river when it turned out my BT broadband speed wasn't good enough to enable me to have BT sport channels.

Probably your broadband or wifi connection, or a slowish tablet/computer? It was excellent at all times on my fibre connection using Firefox, auto-switching to HD when I went full-screen. However... there was that tiny white box border (not solid) towards the bottom-right in my case, there for no obvious reason whatsoever! :confused:
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm hoping BT get more sports tbh as it's only £7.49p/m for hd too with plusnet lol.
  • madmusicianmadmusician Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think it is a crying shame that BT's coverage is not going too well, as there are some excellent people involved with it.

Sunset and Vine are one of the leading independent sports producers and are responsible for some of the most intelligent cricket coverage that has ever been seen (on Channel 4 and Channel 5), along with Channel 4's Paralympics coverage. Indeed, many of the same individuals from the cricket coverage are directly involved with BT Football - namely Gary Franses, who was the main man behind C4 cricket and made it what it was (he is now the director for the presentation elements of BT's football coverage) and Dylan Jane, producer Cricket on 5 for a long while, who is the exec producer of BT's football coverage.

Add into the mix Jake Humphrey, who is clearly a very intelligent when it comes to TV Sport given his fantastic F1 presenting and the clear input that he had into the general aesthetic of the BBC F1 programme, and you would expect great things. Certainly I did. My two favourite sports productions (C4 cricket and BBC F1) coming together to take on Premier League football.

But it hasn't worked out at all, has it? I guess that a number of the edicts have come from the top - nothing wrong with a more family oriented, BBC Sport-esque vibe to proceedings (rather than Sky's hyperbole), but the football presentation is so banal and general and clearly the worst of the four main broadcasters. The BBC has improved their football coverage so much since the move to Salford, and I would not mind seeing something like their approach on BT's channel. But BT has dumbed down even more than the Beeb!!

Some of the attempts to innovate are not bad - I am not against the score at the bottom and I think that, graphically, BT's scheme is quite good. Although they should not have a solid DOG bottom right, IMHO. I can even see the point of the BT Box - although they should have thought of a better manner of framing replay shots as frequently incidents are obscured behind the box when a replay is shown.

The problem is that instead of working on the problems, tweaking them so as to make the coverage tighter within their parameters of innovation, they have stuck their heads in the sand and - in many cases - made things worse.

The move to pitch-side presentation did improve things dramatically, as presentation from the lifeless studio just wasn't working. And I do like the Matchday Live feel on a Saturday, as an afternoon of sport unfolds, handing from location to location. But why not use a studio occasionally for when it is raining or particularly cold? Why not walk around a bit more rather than just standing at the table? Why not alter the presentation a bit? There's no point in doing pitchside if all you are doing is standing still! It adds nothing!

It will be interesting to see where BT goes with the Champions League and how many packages they win in the next PL auction. I had hoped that their coverage was moving in the right direction - but it seems that whenever you think that, they knock it back in the wrong direction. Just see their new advert - heaven help us!!!!
  • Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    Deleted.
  • GBCULLENGBCULLEN Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are spot on and I am soooo pleased Sky blew them out of the water. Watching BBC cover the FA cup tonight was sheer bliss. That's how a game should be broadcast. No silly onscreen gimmicks, no continuous repetition, a summariser who is succinct and to the point.

bye bye BT
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    You are spot on and I am soooo pleased Sky blew them out of the water. Watching BBC cover the FA cup tonight was sheer bliss. That's how a game should be broadcast. No silly onscreen gimmicks, no continuous repetition, a summariser who is succinct and to the point.

bye bye BT

Bye bye BT??

You're aware in this silly rant of yours that BT secured another 3 years of PL rights and have the FA Cup plus from next season will have exclusive live rights to the UEFA Champions League AND Europa League?!