Options

What's the point of the music channels?

seosamhseosamh Posts: 3,349
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just watched the Chili's "By the Way" on MTV at 9:30 pm on a friday and it was butchered to the point where it made no sense whatsoever - no dancing with flares, breaking car doors with elbows, jumping from car to car etc. I can watch any video I want on Youtube in hd via my ps3 so why does anybody watch anything on those shite channels ... >:(

Comments

• Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed

Loads of ways to watch Youtube or through smart TVs. Full 1080p on YouTube that's why I rarely watch music channels now.

Plus they shut NME and Q. Have to go online to see the bands I like they have new videos only MTV Rocks will show them or Youtube.
  • Options
    kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seosamh wrote: »
    Just watched the Chili's "By the Way" on MTV at 9:30 pm on a friday and it was butchered to the point where it made no sense whatsoever - no dancing with flares, breaking car doors with elbows, jumping from car to car etc. I can watch any video I want on Youtube in hd via my ps3 so why does anybody watch anything on those shite channels ... >:(

thats a first for me a red hot chilli peppers video been butchered after 9pm - I will hazard a guess its a new policy not to show certain things in videos (from past) seems like double standards!

the channels these days care more for reality/entertainment than music these days
  • Options
    Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny what they cut out and what they don't.

It's ok to promote thugs like Chris Brown and druggies like Rihanna but not okay to promote other artists.

I remember when Britney's Criminal was banned for guns (not to mention 'Work Bitch' which is laughable) yet Kesha's Die Young with guns, wasn't.

Basically, the labels run the channels and what is ok for one artist, isn't for another.
  • Options
    dazn12dazn12 Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    To be honest, I'd give music TV another 3-5 years. Most are completely FTA now when ten years ago they'd be included in Sky's top entertainment package.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's funny what they cut out and what they don't.

It's ok to promote thugs like Chris Brown and druggies like Rihanna but not okay to promote other artists.

I remember when Britney's Criminal was banned for guns (not to mention 'Work Bitch' which is laughable) yet Kesha's Die Young with guns, wasn't.

Basically, the labels run the channels and what is ok for one artist, isn't for another.

most of the time its 'charts' all the time ie top 50 00s v 10s its becoming more unbearable to watch - channels lack in variety of music and playlisting is 'safe' these days
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kargo wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd give music TV another 3-5 years. Most are completely FTA now when ten years ago they'd be included in Sky's top entertainment package.

give it 3-5 years it will become days of analogue once more ie MTV The Box and possibly VH1 (if that has any identity left)
  • Options
    finluxfinlux Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not watched the music channels for years - mainly because they're all carbon copies of each other and the range of music played is banal! Plus they seem to aim at children/teenagers - I'm LONG past that!! :p

As for cutting - I've never understood why songs like Pink's Just like a pill had the word "bitch" edited out, but the same channel would quite happily play "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks :confused:
  • Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of independent artists never bother with making music videos anyways. It's usually just a clip of them performing live at some event and they upload that as their promotion video on the net.

And as for giving them (music channels) 3-5 years... That's being very generous. I'd give most of them until the end of 2016!
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

It sounds like they've got something against Britney :( It seems there's no such thing as equality when it comes to music channel playlists. Might put it to my lecturer :p IIRC Work Bitch was banned from the TV til 10pm as it was seen as too explicit, but the uncut version can be viewed on the internet at any time of the day or night. I did record Britney v Gaga from VH1 last year on April 3rd (conicidentially the day I cried in my lecturer's office!) and that was shown in the morning. Work Bitch was on it but it was the censored version Work Work. Weird :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finlux wrote: »

As for cutting - I've never understood why songs like Pink's Just like a pill had the word "bitch" edited out, but the same channel would quite happily play "Bitch" by Meredith Brooks :confused:

I don't think their is any method to the madness other than certain artists can do what they like.
    It sounds like they've got something against Britney :( It seems there's no such thing as equality when it comes to music channel playlists. Might put it to my lecturer :p IIRC Work Bitch was banned from the TV til 10pm as it was seen as too explicit, but the uncut version can be viewed on the internet at any time of the day or night. I did record Britney v Gaga from VH1 last year on April 3rd (conicidentially the day I cried in my lecturer's office!) and that was shown in the morning. Work Bitch was on it but it was the censored version Work Work. Weird :confused:

Well, they've not liked her as much as before the breakdown.

It was only banned til 10pm until they had a censored version then they were going to ban the censored version too. Originally they weren't even going to show the censored version, even after 10pm

If it was one of the chosen handful of artists, they'd have had no problems at all.

The artists seem to think we all want Beyonce, Rihanna, Swift, Katy Perry, Timberlake etc on. a loop, even the older channels, which makes them just spinoffs of each other.
  • Options
    Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    How times change, I remember a programme on MTV that consisted solely of uncut and uncensored videos, going back 20 years or more mind.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'd be better if they treated music with some repsect and that's not just about editing its about quality and ratio - Vintage TV should be a goldmine instead its a coal-scuttle. Fuzzy barely audible sound tracks nailed to poor quality visuals being shown in stretchyvision.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    most of the time its 'charts' all the time ie top 50 00s v 10s its becoming more unbearable to watch - channels lack in variety of music and playlisting is 'safe' these days

If Magic plays '50 Greatest Power Ballads' again... Grr!!! >:(
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    They'd be better if they treated music with some repsect and that's not just about editing its about quality and ratio - Vintage TV should be a goldmine instead its a coal-scuttle. Fuzzy barely audible sound tracks nailed to poor quality visuals being shown in stretchyvision.

Very true! That said, Vintage TV is about the only music channel for 'oldies' left :(

I wish they would widen the playlist slightly though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Very true! That said, Vintage TV is about the only music channel for 'oldies' left :(

Just to counter that, if you look at the top 10 playlists for each channel (and I forget the address) Vintage TV is miles ahead when it comes to a bigger playlist.

I recall the song they played most, was played 6 or 7 times a week.

Bauer, MTV and the rest often play the same song 7 times in about 7 or 8 hours, sometimes less (some play the same song 2 or 3 times an hour on occasion).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Magic plays '50 Greatest Power Ballads' again... Grr!!! >:(

VH1 yesterday had I think was "power ballads of the 80's top 50" (can't remember if it had the word "official" against it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Vintage TV in my mind whilst I agree with comment above regarding audio/visual issues - I seem to like it at least, it seems more of a channel that the "old" VH1 use to be - but when you look at VH1 and its promos please do tell me where exactly do "us" fit in? It seems more like channels these days are aiming in one direction really

all Bauer channels aim the viewers to 4Music (even in radio ads) for the likes of Kardashians :confused:
    whilst over on VH1 we are all aimed to go to MTV for the latest shag over on Ex on The Beach - are they really catering to every demographic out there? As far as I see not a chance but I will at least say Vintage is at least trying to keep with the old music as well as new music (had a show called Future Vintage and obvious they tried doing what MTV Classic done and seems like its backfired on both channels)
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best music for oldies is on BBC Four and Heyday TV (Information/Showcase)

http://www.heyday.tv/schedule
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »
    How times change, I remember a programme on MTV that consisted solely of uncut and uncensored videos, going back 20 years or more mind.

I remember a show on MTV called "X Rated" at midnight (I think) played the full versions of Michael Jackson "Thriller" and The Prodigy "Smack my b..ch up" :o (yeah when do we ever see that Prodigy video ever be played?)

The most recent "X Rated" video of recent I caught and this was just after 9.30pm on MTV Hits was "Anaconda" (irony of all they featured the song on Big Fat Hits - I didn't know whether to laugh or cry as that was the ONLY SONG that got played - I assume the uncut version must be at least 7 mins long to the daytime edit?)
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,634
    Forum Member
    It's the same with radio stations though.

The powers that be determine a songs fate with their mind boggling decisions.

A good example being Dizzee Rascal who slated Radio 1 on Twitter saying why did he have to change the lyrics to his single Love This Town because he used the word "high" yet Radio 1 were more than happy to play Arctic Monkeys track Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?

It's not a debate over quality of song. From a lyrics point of view, why did one song have to remove the word "high" whilst another didn't?

This is just as bad as watching the video We Found Love during the daytime. Now there's a music video that gets butchered to the point half the visual content is played in slow motion to block out all the footage deemed inappropriate for daytime viewing.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Well, they've not liked her as much as before the breakdown.

It was only banned til 10pm until they had a censored version then they were going to ban the censored version too. Originally they weren't even going to show the censored version, even after 10pm

If it was one of the chosen handful of artists, they'd have had no problems at all.

I've noticed that. It seems to be uncool to like Britney these days according to some and I guess they prey on that. Her post-2007 music has been really good, bar her last album which was pants for the most part. I never noticed any difference between the original and censored versions, but there ya go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    It's the same with radio stations though.

The powers that be determine a songs fate with their mind boggling decisions.

A good example being Dizzee Rascal who slated Radio 1 on Twitter saying why did he have to change the lyrics to his single Love This Town because he used the word "high" yet Radio 1 were more than happy to play Arctic Monkeys track Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High?

It's not a debate over quality of song. From a lyrics point of view, why did one song have to remove the word "high" whilst another didn't?

This is just as bad as watching the video We Found Love during the daytime. Now there's a music video that gets butchered to the point half the visual content is played in slow motion to block out all the footage deemed inappropriate for daytime viewing.

One of the worst songs to be butchered I have heard and still don't understand why it got it was Taio Cruz "dirty picture" - both the radio and TV edits had "dirty" cut from it :confused: I have also noticed the word "bitch" is now cut on the TV channels from House of Pain "Jump Around" whilst the radio edits I have heard on Heat/BBC Radio 2 its kept :D
  • Options
    Andrewww342003Andrewww342003 Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    seosamh wrote: »

Because its nice to have a choice.