Options

Missy will return CONFIRMED

Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,310
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Steve Moffat has confirmed in an interview with Digital Spy that Michelle Gomez will reprise her role as Missy for Series 9. Permission to squeeeee.

Comments

• Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Steve Moffat has confirmed in an interview with Digital Spy that Michelle Gomez will reprise her role as Missy for Series 9. Permission to squeeeee.

I am shocked. And...stunned.

Whoops, went a bit Rutles there. No, I'm not.

Really rate Ms Gomez so interested to see where they take the character on her 'watch'.
  • Options
    adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Permission granted. Think I might join you!
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    It hasn't been confirmed she'll return for Series 9, just that she'll return.

And frankly I'd keep it that way. The show needs to make sure it keeps coming up with new ideas, rather than churning out the same villains year on year - we've had the Cybermen in episode 12 of Series 5, 6, 7 and 8 now as one example, on top of the Daleks annual outing.

Rest Missy until Series 10, give Moffat a two-part story at that point, maybe (and for me preferably) under the guise of a new show runner.
  • Options
    PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yay good news :)
  • Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It hasn't been confirmed she'll return for Series 9, just that she'll return.

And frankly I'd keep it that way. The show needs to make sure it keeps coming up with new ideas, rather than churning out the same villains year on year - we've had the Cybermen in episode 12 of Series 5, 6, 7 and 8 now as one example, on top of the Daleks annual outing.

Rest Missy until Series 10, give Moffat a two-part story at that point, maybe (and for me preferably) under the guise of a new show runner.

Missy technically only appeared in two episodes in series 8.
  • Options
    gareth1408gareth1408 Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I think it does make some sort of sense that she may be back is series 9

Moffat does seem to like he two series story arcs, and also there was so many questions left unanswered

- How did he/she escape Gallifrey?
    - Will there be an explanation as to why the Master is now a woman?
    - The Doctor has always said if there was another time lord anywhere is this universe he'd feel it, but Missy was stood right in front of him for ages and he didn't realise

Apologies if any of this was answered on screen as I must of missed it
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Oh I do hope not. I hated her with a passion.
  • Options
    Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gareth1408 wrote: »
    I think it does make some sort of sense that she may be back is series 9

Moffat does seem to like he two series story arcs, and also there was so many questions left unanswered

- How did he/she escape Gallifrey?
    - Will there be an explanation as to why the Master is now a woman?
    - The Doctor has always said if there was another time lord anywhere is this universe he'd feel it, but Missy was stood right in front of him for ages and he didn't realise

Apologies if any of this was answered on screen as I must of missed it

This doesn't really need an explanation really. I think it's more of a case of why did the Master regenerate AT ALL rather than what gender they became.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good one off character but move on, fresh ideas next season please.
  • Options
    Xmas_TrenzaloreXmas_Trenzalore Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would actually like it if she were a recurring villain along Series 9.

Like 3 or 5 episodes where she's the one behind it all, but she's teaming up with (*using) another alien species. Kind like how Jon Pertwee had it in Season 8.

It would be a good way to make the series structure feel less samey.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Missy technically only appeared in two episodes in series 8.

The Daleks only appeared in one episode of Series 2 (disregarding their cliffhanger appearance at the end of Army of Ghosts) and it was already enough for people to start going "ugh, Daleks again!" given they had a substantial role in the Series 1 finale.

Doctor Who has the infinite possibilities of all of time and space at its disposal, it should come up with refreshing new ideas in between all the nostalgic returns. Missy's story was in Series 8, I want something different for Series 9. Why must we keep trotting out the same villains over and over? It's staggering that if you include the regeneration episodes we've had ten finales since 2005 and only one of those didn't rely on a returning threat/villain - about half of those have relied on a threat that has already re-established itself in NuWho as well. For the record I thought Missy was brilliant, but I want something different that's brilliant next year, not just more of the same.
    This.
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news.
    She is his opposite,when they are together.
    Its a powerful dynamic
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder what she will do next to torment him. I know they have history, but would the Doctor ever think about killing her once and for all ?. How many innocent people is she going to torture and murder just for the hell of it ?. After killing Osgood she even said "Do you have any more friends I can play with ?". People are just toys to her. Plus if Clara is still around she will be ticked off. Doctor tricked her into thinking he had killed Missy. How betrayed will she feel if she finds out Missy is still alive ?. Baddies always come back. That's why we need the Doctor to keep fighting them.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Master has been a recurring villain in the show since 1971; not a one-off character.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doctor Who has the infinite possibilities of all of time and space at its disposal, it should come up with refreshing new ideas in between all the nostalgic returns. Missy's story was in Series 8, I want something different for Series 9. Why must we keep trotting out the same villains over and over?

Er, no, it wasn't.
    She's the Master, she's the Doctors nemesis. Her/his story has been ongoing since 1971.
    Would you have said that the Master's story was over by the end of Terror Of The Autons? As long as there are interesting and original ways that this duel can be portrayed then the story of the Master and the Doctor is never over.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Very pleased to hear this. The Doctor needs a proper nemesis. Maybe we'll find out who Gus is too!
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good - I don't see why the character has to be automatically reserved for finales, either. Bring me mid-series Master love.
    The Master has been a recurring villain in the show since 1971; not a one-off character.

Bazinga
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder what she will do next to torment him. I know they have history, but would the Doctor ever think about killing her once and for all ?. How many innocent people is she going to torture and murder just for the hell of it ?. After killing Osgood she even said "Do you have any more friends I can play with ?". People are just toys to her. Plus if Clara is still around she will be ticked off. Doctor tricked her into thinking he had killed Missy. How betrayed will she feel if she finds out Missy is still alive ?. Baddies always come back. That's why we need the Doctor to keep fighting them.

If Missy is alive, so is Osgood.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member

Why? Missy is an evil supervillain with backup plans and contigencies, Osgood isn't.
  • Options
    WebslarkWebslark Posts: 18,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    Very pleased to hear this. The Doctor needs a proper nemesis. Maybe we'll find out who Gus is too!

Given that Seb was an AI interface created (or at least used) by Missy, maybe Gus will prove to be the same?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why? Missy is an evil supervillain with backup plans and contigencies, Osgood isn't.

Or rather, Osgood wasn't...
    Moffat wanted to make a point that when the Master is around then even favourite characters aren't safe. Yes Osgood was popular, and yes I was sorry to see her go, but I'd put money of the fact that she's gone for good.
    The Master on the other hand... all we need at the start of her next story is a simple line "So you did escape from..." and we're back in business.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

That didn't happen! :o It was quite clear that Clara saw he didn't shoot Missy. They both turned to look where the shot had come from - ie: the Brigadier Cyberman.
  • Options
    sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member

How so?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing that is interesting is the earlier in the episode it was established that when those Cybermen shoot stuff it doesn't blow it to atoms it blows it to pieces... Where were the Missy pieces? *wanders off cryptically*
  • Options
    jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's not strictly true: the Brigadier Cyberman shot at her before the Doctor could - which some believe was a transportation ray thingy, not a zap her dead ray thingy.

I like Missy - I'm looking forward to her returning.

By the way Sara: I enjoy reading your posts :)