Options

Irish Constitutional Referendum on Gay Marriage - May 2015

irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
Forum Member
✭✭
Proposed Constitutional Change announced today by the Irish Government "Marriage may be contracted in accordance with law by two persons without distinction as to their sex".

Historic vote on Gay Marriage is to take place in Ireland in May 2015 - A Country where homosexuality was a crime until the early 1990's. Current polls suggest about 70% support for the vote but it will be closer as young people are not as likely to vote.

All political parties in the state has come out to support the vote including the traditional conservative parties of Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil. Last Sunday our Minister for Health on state radio revealed he was gay - the first ever openly gay cabinet minister. The world is truly changing for the better - I'm not gay but I fully support equality for "all the children of the state" as our forefathers here in Ireland declared.

People might say this is happening across the globe but Ireland voting is truly historic .. The once deeply conservative, backward state which was ruled by the Catholic church with an iron fist is finally shaking off the shackles of the past... Our Taoiseach (PM) recently drank with his party colleagues during a Christmas party in a Gay bar in Dublin - something absolutely unthinkable even 10 years ago.

It's a YES from me and all going well a YES from the Irish people - I will be a proud Irishman the night it passes!

Comments

• Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the younger voters are being underestimated, it's more likely to be those that think it's a done deal so their vote isn't needed that will take it lower than polls indicate. I'm going to call it around 62-65% in favour.

As for Kenny, you can bet your last euro that if the polls weren't showing the public overwhelmingly in favour of marriage equality, he would've been nowhere near that bar. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the younger voters are being underestimated, it's more likely to be those that think it's a done deal so their vote isn't needed that will take it lower than polls indicate. I'm going to call it around 62-65% in favour.

As for Kenny, you can bet your last euro that if the polls weren't showing the public overwhelmingly in favour of marriage equality, he would've been nowhere near that bar. ;-)
    I honestly don't know any person around my age who don't support it (unless the are lying of course) .. I think it will pass with ease, about 58-62% .. The problem is a lot of Young people don't bother voting, that's a big problem for society as a whole.

Ah I actually think Kenny is alright, he will go down as one of our best IMO - history will look very fondly upon him! .. He better win this vote though!
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Good luck! I hope your country comes screaming and kicking out of religious oppression.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    I honestly don't know any person around my age who don't support it (unless the are lying of course) .. I think it will pass with ease, about 58-62% .. The problem is a lot of Young people don't bother voting, that's a big problem for society as a whole.

Ah I actually think Kenny is alright, he will go down as one of our best IMO - history will look very fondly upon him! .. He better win this vote though!

I like to think this issue is the one that will galvanise the younger voters, especially the ones in universities.

I might be forced to agree that Kenny is one of the best Taoiseach's we've had, but that isn't saying much is it? :D:D
  • Options
    PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What planet are you living on? He will be remembered as a useless spineless excuse of a politician.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What planet are you living on? He will be remembered as a useless spineless excuse of a politician.

He's almost the perfect politician, says the right thing but does nothing to back it up. :p
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's a rather horrid little parochial fair weather politician. A rather spineless ignorant clueless fool with no morals.

Surprised the Catholic church has not ordered him to prevent this referendum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck! I hope your country comes screaming and kicking out of religious oppression.
    Being honest we have, even since I was young in the mid - late 90's there has been huge changes in Irish culture and society. We probably have been the most progressive society in the developed world in the past 20 years - that's a great achievement but we have a small bit to go yet.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe we need more Alex Salmonds. He really motivated the young people of Scotland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha I think the whole lot of you are being very harsh on Kenny - I agree he is not the greatest leader but he is/has been a fine Taoiseach .. Economically he will go down along with Sean Lemsss as the most competent leaders of the economy.. People forget how bad things were economically at the start of his reign.

He will along with Lemass and Fitzgearld go down as the best Taoiseach IMO although the rest don't cover themselves in massive glory... It will take a few years to realise the full economic benefits but any leader who drops unemployment by 5% and makes us the fastest growing economy in stuttering Europe has done his bit for the country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe we need more Alex Salmonds. He really motivated the young people of Scotland.
    Well that Referendum was a once in a lifetime event - you will see the next GE in Scotland won't have next to near them numbers coming out to vote.
  • Options
    bobby_boleynbobby_boleyn Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    I think. I would vote no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? .. I'd honestly like to know your argument against it.
  • Options
    JackKlugmanJackKlugman Posts: 5,362
    Forum Member

Well I am amazed at that response given how often you post about gay people
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry I couldn't respond to this quicker I had just fainted at this revelation.:p
  • Options
    radyagradyag Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being honest we have, even since I was young in the mid - late 90's there has been huge changes in Irish culture and society. We probably have been the most progressive society in the developed world in the past 20 years - that's a great achievement but we have a small bit to go yet.

That's not the point. It's a single issue and as a gay man I must say I would be voting no. At least the Irish give their citizens a vote, unlike UK who just force it thru.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm assuming by the word "would" that you can't vote in our referendum, so hey-ho, words are cheap when you aren't involved and want to stir the pot. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    radyag wrote: »
    That's not the point. It's a single issue and as a gay man I must say I would be voting no. At least the Irish give their citizens a vote, unlike UK who just force it thru.
    Of course anyone is entitled to the option you hold but I do not see (as a straight man) why a man and a woman loving each other is different to a gay couple .. Why should I stop them being married in the eyes of the law?? .. they are no better or worse then me.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    radyag wrote: »

By "forcing it through", you mean deciding the issue by a democratic vote in Parliament?

What would be the point in voting No as a gay man?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Irish Government has to put this to a referendum by law .. Any changes to our constitution (be that a full stop or word) has to be voted on by the people - as it should be!

It's something we Irish should thank the architects of the Irish Constitution every single day - it is true democracy.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    The Irish Government has to put this to a referendum by law .. Any changes to our constitution has to be voted on by the people - as it should be!

It's something we Irish should thank the architects of the Irish Constitution every single day - it is true democracy.

If marriage is a constitutional matter in Ireland, that's fair enough. But do you think male homosexuality would have been legalised in 1993 if it had been left to a referendum?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Irish Government has to put this to a referendum by law .. Any changes to our constitution (be that a full stop or word) has to be voted on by the people - as it should be!

Is it a straight 50% pass mark ?

I must say I'd be more happier with a 2/3 majority for constitutional stuff as in the USA, but then maybe nothing would ever get passed, however the system has served Ireland well .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    If marriage is a constitutional matter in Ireland, that's fair enough. But do you think male homosexuality would have been legalised in 1993 if it had been left to a referendum?
    "The Family" including marriage and the role of mothers at home Is enshrined in the Irish constitution.. It does not explicitly refer to marriage as one between a man and a woman but that's how it reads. It could be open to legal challenge but a referendum is the only real way to go.

"THE FAMILY

ARTICLE 41

1 1° The State recognises the Family as the natural primary and fundamental unit group of Society, and as a moral institution possessing inalienable and imprescriptible rights, antecedent and superior to all positive law.

2° The State, therefore, guarantees to protect the Family in its constitution and authority, as the necessary basis of social order and as indispensable to the welfare of the Nation and the State.

2 1° In particular, the State recognises that by her life within the home, woman gives to the State a support without which the common good cannot be achieved.

2° The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.

3 1° The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it a straight 50% pass mark ?

I must say I'd be more happier with a 2/3 majority for constitutional stuff as in the USA, but then maybe nothing would ever get passed, however the system has served Ireland well .
    Yes 50% is the magic number .. There was one divorce referendum (I think) that went down to less then 1% ... So they can be very very close here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »

Tbh I think it would depend on the way it was worded. There may have been a chance of NO to "legalising", but at the same time a YES to "decriminalising" it.

Sometimes we are very odd people. :D:D