Options

Can anyone recommend A Good Super Zoom Digital Camera with 1080P video?

At the mo I use my LG G3 but want something a bit better.
Is there a camera with 20X zoom or over and 1080p video record?
Also look at one that comes with a charger to as do not really want to have to use the aa battery's like my old canon SX130 had?
I was look at

Sony Cybershot HX50
&
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ55

Or is there any other but no more than £150

Comments

• Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    GoPro?
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read lots reviews last few hours and seems the Sony Cyber-shot HX50V seems to be best in most but will look at some more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    I read lots reviews last few hours and seems the Sony Cyber-shot HX50V seems to be best in most but will look at some more.

We bought a Lumix a while ago, but really struggled with it; it just did not feel right and it was such hard work getting anything decent out of the camera unless it was in really bright light. My sister and law, and my father in law also had the same camera. She didn't seem to have any issues, but was using it as a most basic point and click; my FIL used to be a professional photographer and experienced the same problems we did.

A few weeks ago we relented and went back to a Cybershot, which - excluding our SLRs - has always been our camera of choice and we've had various models since the first one in 1999. They are always a dream to use, and this latest version is too. So if I had to pick I will always go for a Sony above a Panasonic
  • Options
    TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The later SX130 successors went over to Li-Ion battery but the 170 model was very plastic and lightweight.
    If you're really into it you can hack the software of Canons very easily in a non-destructive way using CHDK. I was able to record in RAW and increase the maximum shutter time from 15 seconds to 32 minutes with my SX130is.

Certainly for that budget It would be mean looking at the second hand market for a better specced Ixus but it be worth the effort. I swapped mine for a bridge camera but am selling to return to a compact for casual stuff as I use DSLRs for more serious stuff.

Edit - Argos currently have the Ixus 265 for £110 but whilst it's 1080P it's only 12x optical zoom
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    also seen the
    Sony DSCHX60 & Sony DSCWX350
    That would be top if I could get one for £150 used.
    Edit
    The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ40EB seems good also?
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably 'Which camera'
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    You might find this site useful, lots of in-depth reviews http://www.dpreview.com/

I'm often asked to recommend cameras and I always tell people to read the reviews and then handle the camera. If you stick with the big manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, Fuji, Sony, Olympus) you won't get a bad camera but you might get an uncomfortable one.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I have a Fuji HS20

720mm equivelent lens
    Bulb mode
    Raw mode
    it can do pretty much anything a SLR can except change lenses.

its about £120
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are looking for high zoom, you should look for a camera with a good viewfinder. It is really difficult to do a high zoom much above 10x when holding camera away from eyes to see screen. You really need a tripod. Anti-shake features can help, but only to a degree,

The following looks a good spec (£169) inc. viewfinder and full hd videos

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H400 Digital Camera
    63x optical zoom
    20.1MP Super
    HAD CCD sensor
    Optical SteadyShot
    Electronic Viewfinder
    Full HD videos

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/sony/cyber-shot-dsc-h400-digital-camera-90692/show.html
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    I'll be honest and say that those cheaper super zoom cameras are really pretty poor. The main problem is slow or no focus - you will zoom out and then not be able to focus on what you want. On a family day out when the person is just standing there you won't have much of a problem but as soon as the zoom is applied you will not find it fun to use. In low light outdoors like evening events the photos will be poor and fuzzy. Also the 1080 HD recording is more like upscaled 720.

I ended up going for a Canon G16 and paying more - but the photos and HD recording I get I am happy with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    I have a Fuji HS20

720mm equivelent lens
    Bulb mode
    Raw mode

its about £120

I will look it up as has stereo recording.
    AA Batterys :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    If you are looking for high zoom, you should look for a camera with a good viewfinder. It is really difficult to do a high zoom much above 10x when holding camera away from eyes to see screen. You really need a tripod. Anti-shake features can help, but only to a degree,

The following looks a good spec (£169) inc. viewfinder and full hd videos

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H400 Digital Camera
    63x optical zoom
    20.1MP Super
    HAD CCD sensor
    Optical SteadyShot
    Electronic Viewfinder
    Full HD videos

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/sony/cyber-shot-dsc-h400-digital-camera-90692/show.html

And only 720P video.
    OK
    Now looking at a
    FUJI FUJIFILM FINEPIX HS30 which does have its own battery.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    I have a Fuji HS20

720mm equivelent lens
    Bulb mode
    Raw mode

its about £120

Are you sure about that??? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How odd thread been moved to Terrestrial / Technical forum?
    Also added Canon PowerShot SX700 HS however is over budget might wait see if I can get a deal on this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK just won a Canon PowerShot SX700 HS on ebay at £125 was all looking at the panasonic tz60 but it was way more.