Should FIFA strip Qatar of the 2022 World Cup

jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Blatter and Co are under the cosh as documents surface that show the extent of corruption by Warner and Bin Hamman of Qatar

The only way is for FIFA to strip Qatar of the World Cup and hand it to the 2nd runner up...do know who it is

Besides , nobody seemed to ask the queation what is the temperature when the tournament is to be held apparently 50 in the shade

The daily mirror says,

Qatar's grip on the 2022 World Cup was loosened this morning as evidence of the potential ''smoking gun'' that could bring a FIFA re-vote was uncovered.

Documents seemingly proving disgraced former FIFA executive Mohammed Bin Hammam paid crooked Trinidadian Jack Warner millions as payment for his support in the controversial vote in 2010, appeared likely to be the key the unlocked the door to a change of venue.

FIFA's investigations chief, former United States Attorney Michael Garcia, has to find evidence of corruption before the validity of the vote is questioned by the world governing body.

But the apparent confirmation that Bin Hammam – like Warner a former acolyte of Sepp Blatter who was also dumped when he plotted against the FIFA - gave the disgraced former Trinidadian government member a $2million kick-back just two weeks after the vote in Zurich opens the door for Garcia to follow the paper trail.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/2022-world-cup-qatars-staging-3255565#ixzz2wKfnIG7b

Comments

• wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no point in a revote. If there was one, hardly anyone would change their minds.
  • AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is just the way it is, does anyone seriously think any other bidders wouldn`t grease their palms?
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    I'm sure they will

FIFA abhor corruption
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have said it all along.

There is no way the wc will be held in Qatar
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojoeno wrote: »
    Blatter and Co are under the cosh as documents surface that show the extent of corruption by Warner and Bin Hamman of Qatar

The only way is for FIFA to strip Qatar of the World Cup and hand it to the 2nd runner up...do know who it is

The USA came second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup

Personally, I'd start the whole process again. There's still plenty of time.
    Forum Member
    They won't strip them of the tournament. Qatar would probably sue them.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The USA came second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022_FIFA_World_Cup

Personally, I'd start the whole process again. There's still plenty of time.

The uk could stage it with a few months notice, I think that's what will happen.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Anyone of sane mind can see Qatar should never have been awarded the World Cup and its no surprise the corruption is now being exposed. FIFA really don't seem to give a shit what people think about them though and I fully expect Qatar to host 2022.
    Forum Member
    codeblue wrote: »
    The uk could stage it with a few months notice, I think that's what will happen.

We have all the required stadiums already, have one of the strongest sporting cultures in the world, are proven to be highly capable of organising and hosting major sports events, and have a climate that won't cause people to drop dead.

Therefore by FIFA's standards, we are a poor choice for host.
  • croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fifa have pocketed the cash - no going back now ...
  • mattwmattw Posts: 1,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »

This phrase seems to come up before almost every World Cup at some point during the build up, but again it's very unlikely to be moved. Further it's not just the UK (or England) who could stage it with a few months notice, so could Germany, France, Spain, Italy, and let's face it the runners up for 2022 - the USA.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have all the required stadiums already, have one of the strongest sporting cultures in the world, are proven to be highly capable of organising and hosting major sports events, and have a climate that won't cause people to drop dead.

Therefore by FIFA's standards, we are a poor choice for host.

So how come the sun didn't set on the British Empire? Englishmen (and mad dogs) apparently were happy to go out in the midday summer sun.

Have we gone soft all of a sudden? Just get a job lot of solar topees and punkah wallas and concert parties with lovely boys to cheer us along.
  • taurus_67taurus_67 Posts: 6,930
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    Anyone of sane mind can see Qatar should never have been awarded the World Cup and its no surprise the corruption is now being exposed. FIFA really don't seem to give a shit what people think about them though and I fully expect Qatar to host 2022.

As long as their corporate partners, advertisers and broadcasters stick with them they won't do anything.
    Forum Member
    So how come the sun didn't set on the British Empire? Englishmen (and mad dogs) apparently were happy to go out in the midday summer sun.

Have we gone soft all of a sudden? Just get a job lot of solar topees and punkah wallas and concert parties with lovely boys to cheer us along.

Fun Fact - Because of the location of our overseas possessions, the Sun STILL never sets on British territory.
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see a thorough investigations by a good authority like the FBI and have those shown to have committed a crime shamed or sent to jail and their assets removed.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which owners of Premier League (or Championship) teams bought their clubs with really clean ethical money?

(I suspect that) Football is about tax dodging and money laundering. Nothing to see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which owners of Premier League (or Championship) teams bought their clubs with really clean ethical money?

(I suspect that) Football is about tax dodging and money laundering. Nothing to see.

No it's not.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither Russia or Qatar should have got the world cups. The oil money had a clear impact on the vote but this is nothing new with FIFA. Brown packages and illegal payments have been the hall mark of the bidding process in recent years.

FIFA is little more than Blatter's empire which focus on profit over the the game. The whole of FIFA needs clearing out and replacing with an honest and open team running the game.
  • Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should they - Yes
    Will they - No
  • homer2012homer2012 Posts: 5,216
    Forum Member
    Sabre92 wrote: »
    Should they - Yes
    Will they - No

Sums it all up
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Armi wrote: »
    I'd love to see a thorough investigations by a good authority like the FBI and have those shown to have committed a crime shamed or sent to jail and their assets removed.

I very much doubt any crime has actually been committed, though. FIFA isn't based in Switzerland for nothing. Corporate Law is a bit more lax than in the EU and the WC is owned by FIFA so they can effectively manage the bidding process however they want. It may be unethical and immoral but I doubt Qatar or Russia did anything illegal. The only reason FIFA would reconsider the bid would be if the commercial success of the WC was threatened and that would only happen if FIFA or Qatar's reputation was significantly tarnished by corruption allegations. It's reminiscent of the 2002 Winter Olympics. Salt Lake City was shown to have bribed it's way to the games and the reputation of the IOC was so sullied that they had to carry out a root-and-branch ant-corruption over-haul. No-one actually did anything illegal, though.
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could Russia be stripped of the 2018 World Cup as well?
  • Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could Russia be stripped of the 2018 World Cup as well?

Qatar, Russia. two of the richest countries in the world, stripped of the World Cup?

You know there's no chance of that happening - absolutely no chance. Good article by Henry Winter sums it all up

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10705160/Qatar-World-Cup-investigation-Imagine-if-Australia-won-2022-bid-a-sports-mad-country-wanting-to-put-on-party.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    I very much doubt any crime has actually been committed, though. FIFA isn't based in Switzerland for nothing. Corporate Law is a bit more lax than in the EU and the WC is owned by FIFA so they can effectively manage the bidding process however they want. It may be unethical and immoral but I doubt Qatar or Russia did anything illegal. The only reason FIFA would reconsider the bid would be if the commercial success of the WC was threatened and that would only happen if FIFA or Qatar's reputation was significantly tarnished by corruption allegations. It's reminiscent of the 2002 Winter Olympics. Salt Lake City was shown to have bribed it's way to the games and the reputation of the IOC was so sullied that they had to carry out a root-and-branch ant-corruption over-haul. No-one actually did anything illegal, though.

I'm sure there are international anti-corruption agreements that could be used as leverage for investigations in the regions concerned.

America does a lot of trade with caribbean countries. They could very easily influence a full investigation into this chap.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,596
    Forum Member
    They won't strip them of the tournament. Qatar would probably sue them.

I bloomin hope so as Qatar will expose FIFA for the corrupt organisation they are. At least the IOC changed after the Salt Lake City bribe scandal, any wrongdoing by their members & they're out the door, FIFA on the other hand look unwilling to change.