Options

Mel to Andrea "You're the winner"

d56d56 Posts: 5,471
Forum Member
Don't get wrong I like Mel on the show this year, but going "hahaha" to all the other judges and declaring Andrea the winner in week one seemed stupid. We ALL know how it can change throughout these 10 weeks.

Comments

• Options
    sgeandhusgeandhu Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's the one to beat imho.
  • Options
    XXRunXXXXRunXX Posts: 2,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    d56 wrote: »
    Don't get wrong I like Mel on the show this year, but going "hahaha" to all the other judges and declaring Andrea the winner in week one seemed stupid. We ALL know how it can change throughout these 10 weeks.

Have to agree, it's really tempting fate, and she will end up with egg on her face. But to be fair whatever happens, Andrea is in a different league to the rest of the contestants
  • Options
    Adrian01Adrian01 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As good a singer as he is he will have absolutely no career after winning X factor, if that is to happen.

Give the win to Only The Young or Jack if you want to see a success.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    XXRunXX wrote: »
    Have to agree, it's really tempting fate, and she will end up with egg on her face. But to be fair whatever happens, Andrea is in a different league to the rest of the contestants

hes in a different decade as well

next weeks theme is perfect for him
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I couldn't understand most of what he was singing and his choir was very prominent.
  • Options
    achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are setting him up for a fall.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I couldn't understand most of what he was singing and his choir was very prominent.

True, but I could never understand what MJ was singing either.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's good but he won't win, he's not 'relatable' enough.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah because Sam Bailey was of course.
  • Options
    bookclub10bookclub10 Posts: 4,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Andrea and thought he was brilliant tonight but the fact that he was the last performance lends itself to that type of comment. Mel B couldn't have said it if he had performed in the middle tonight as it would have seemed pointless for the other contestants to come out. Next week is a new week so it will be okay by then.
  • Options
    annie24601annie24601 Posts: 3,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was very good tonight, but he may well have peaked too early. He should probably have saved that kind of performance for around week 7, don't think there is much room for improvement.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His to throw away, Fleur is the only on that comes close. Though you have to factor in the teenage girls voting with their ovaries.
  • Options
    HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank goodness he's this year's only power ballad singer. I liked him tonight, mainly because he wasn't singing Whitney or heaven forbid Celine Dion :-O. No denying he's a great singer though.
  • Options
    CloudyECloudyE Posts: 9,230
    Forum Member
    Well, if there are not any secret sex tapes or photos of him, I cannot see anyone else in his league vocally TBH. She may well have a crystal ball.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,634
    Forum Member
    He was the best tonight, no doubt about it. I thought choosing Earth Song would be a terrible song choice but he was spot on. He wasn't even pitchy, his musicality is great.

The fact he's "quirky" may go against him but after week 1 he's set the standard.
  • Options
    mitacondmitacond Posts: 105,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I cannot understand what all the fuss is about because I really was not wowed by this rendition of a very favourite song....lots of choir around still maybe its just my ears.;-):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mitacond wrote: »
    I cannot understand what all the fuss is about because I really was not wowed by this rendition of a very favourite song....lots of choir around still maybe its just my ears.;-):)

...but most of the performances had backing vocals all over the track. Stevi who did Livin' La Vida Loca practically had the entire song sang for him. He just sang over the top.

That's worse than what Andreas had.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    bookclub10 wrote: »
    I love Andrea and thought he was brilliant tonight but the fact that he was the last performance lends itself to that type of comment. Mel B couldn't have said it if he had performed in the middle tonight as it would have seemed pointless for the other contestants to come out. Next week is a new week so it will be okay by then.

Mel B should not have said this when she has 3 other acts that merit the same support
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mel B should not have said this when she has 3 other acts that merit the same support

To be honest, Mel saying "you're the winner" has pretty much concluded already that Andreas didn't win The X Factor 2014.

Why?

Because that's what happened to Leah McFall on The Voice 2013. They hyped her up to the highest of extremes. Then she came 2nd in the final.
  • Options
    oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Eh? I don't get this comment. He's an average-looking, slightly awkward, decent, shy person who loves his parents, likes animals, watches The X-Factor in his bedroom on YouTube, and talks like a normal human being.

Compared to some of the permatanned fameseekers on the show, surely he couldn't be *more* relatable?
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrea cannot win, if Mel who tonight came over as a nasty embittered old dragon bangs on like she did after Andrea performed, Sadly Mel if she carries on like that will alienate the general public to a point that people will note vote for her acts however much people like them, Andreas biggest & perhaps only obstacle to winning the show is his awful mentor.
  • Options
    oxfordruseoxfordruse Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty much what we're all thinking, and what the press is saying, but I'm still pretty surprised Mel said this. That said, I think she got carried away in the moment and was really only saying that he was the top act of that show. Which I think is a fair enough comment, even if she has other acts to 'support'.

By the way, this notion that judges are somehow obliged to support their own acts holds no truck with me. I didn't like, for instance, Mel's support of Jake Quickenden, when it was quite obviously a strained performance. She's generally a fair and honest judge so it seemed off to me. I long for the return of the kind of candidness Simon showed way back in 2005 when he was rightly critical of his own act, The Conway Sisters. Simon's become just as blinkered in recent years, however - he never criticises his own charges any more.
  • Options
    bookclub10bookclub10 Posts: 4,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

True. Awkward for next week's practices!
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thought it was just me.:blush:
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Reminded me of Mary Byrne a few years ago on week one - with the same amazing reaction.

I just hope they don't throw Andrea under a bus as they say as they did to her.