Options

Great British Menu 2011

Comments

• Options
    kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    regandron wrote: »
    Paul is this year's Lisa Allen....really hope he does well again today.

Surely Lisa Allen is this year's Lisa Allen ;):p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Surely Lisa Allen is this year's Lisa Allen ;):p

Two Lisa Allens..the world's a better place already !
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    I sort of liked all 3, but I did feel for John, he looks a broken man :(

Adore Paul, reading the titles of tonight's puddings I really hope he's doing
    Taste of the fairground - that sounds fun and the sort of thing that will appeal to the judges and lots of chance for fun presentation

Im sure someone else has done that before, not in the same way though and I like Paul so I hope he does well. Looking forward to watching tonight and can't wait for tomorrow :)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    mindyann wrote: »
    I was told by my Grandad (so the truth is more than likely wibbly :D) that the traditional accompaniments to meat echo what the animals would eat in their fields. So, pigs would truffle for apples, there would be mint in the fields with the lambs and the same with horseradish and the cows.

It's as a good a reason as anything else, I guess ... :D
    Pigs eat anything. Is that why it goes with everything? :D
  • Options
    peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    Andre " my classical techniques and their modern approach":D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've really taken to Andre, in a weird crush kind of way :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've really taken to Andre, in a weird crush kind of way :o

I'm intrigued by his voice
  • Options
    prehensileprehensile Posts: 5,097
    Forum Member
    peach45 wrote: »
    Andre " my classical techniques and their modern approach":D:D:D

:eek: I thought you were psychic just then. We're watching a recording delayed by about 5 minutes and I read the quote about 10 seconds before he said it. :D
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm glad someone else said that. It's a very unusual voice and sometimes I think it woud drive you completely crackers and other times I think he could use it to very good seductive effect. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am Psychic, I reckon John is going to miss out again
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    I'm glad someone else said that. It's a very unusual voice and sometimes I think it woud drive you completely crackers and other times I think he could use it to very good seductive effect. :p

Exactly it's both quite hot, and a complete irritation at the same time :confused:
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see John making it through at all.
  • Options
    lach doch mallach doch mal Posts: 16,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the weeks where I would have been happy for any of them to go through, how lovely are they all and how respectful:):).

I love them, and I love/hate Andre's voice as well and find him rather sexy:o.

Good week so far!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    What doesn't work about this show in one easy lesson - Andre's dish looked superb and was no doubt yummy and showed great skill but IT DOD NOT MEET THE BRIEF! Putting on a big black board does not make it 'theatre' and 'banquet/street party'. It's just a bit of tart in a bowl. The end. No sharing, no event, no oooh's and ahhh's. Yet...he got 9. I don't get the scoring at all.

I thought Paul's fairground dessert just looked silly and like it would rot my teeth just looking at it. He'd tried to meet the brief but made it gimicky and too fiddly and wobbly to work for 100 people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    Although Paul struggled, I still thought the dessert looked superb.

John's was probably his strongest dish of the week.

Andre's looked fab, but not sure it fitted the brief again.

The right two are in the final, I'm hoping Paul pulls it off
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Research - The judges love pies and tarts. If you produce a decent one you are a shoe-in for the finals ;):D
  • Options
    geordiegumpgeordiegump Posts: 1,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure about Andre's voice:confused:

Sounds a bit like he's batting for the other side to me;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    After last week's slightly-too-fierce competition, this week has been great to watch. Felt quite bad for John, but am looking forward to tomorrow.

"... I'll have to get the recipe off him for that [sic]!" was totally charming.

And I like Andre's voice too. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    MrsMRMrsMR Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Not sure about Andre's voice either.
    Thought they were a nice bunch this week.
    Really fed up with the "scripted" comments...."Is this fit for a banquet"...."Are you happy with the seasoning" etc etc. Hubby kept tutting tonight every time these sorts of comments came up even though he does enjoy the programme generally so made them even more noticable to me !! Would be nice to see some unscripted banter like on the new Greedy Italians programme......maybe they are a bit more "uncontrollable"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there would have been any justice if John had gone through instead of Paul. Paul got three dishes right out of four. Shouldn't put people through on the strength of their desert alone!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

His accent is classic Bath mixed with a bit of Ray Winstone. Or is that just me?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yoggi wrote: »

"... I'll have to get the recipe off him for that [sic]!" was totally charming.

Wasn't it just, and for me summed up the really nice atmosphere which has been present this week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think its been a good week so far this week, and could be interesting tonight... Paul 'should' walk it on the basis of his sharing ideas this week (Andre's missed by quite a way imo) but Andre could make changes, and Paul's dishes were quite tricky so he might make errors. A good contest tonight I think :)

Andre is a bit too intense for me :D so rooting for Paul myself.

btw, did anyone conduct a "has this got the WOW factor?" count this week?
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't really think Andre's dessert was worth a 9 - a very accomplished piece of cooking, but again it just looked like restaurant dish to me. I couldn't help feeling it may have been a 'tactical' 9 from Michael to put real clear blue water between him and John (Andre has been the better chef out of those and deserved to go through two) and Paul was always going to go through anyway.

On Paul's dessert, I kind of take Michael's point about it lacking 'substance' if it were being considered in isolation. But I think at the end of the sharingstreetpartybanquit thingy a fun dessert which you just kind of pick at would be very suitable.

Guesses on the subject of judges' comments shown in the teaser? surely it has to be Andre's caviar / tapioca concoction?
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could of happily eaten every one of those desserts. Delish.